Tuesday 26 July 2011

Arctic Silver - arctic silver


This stuff and the similar SIlver thermal epoxy is a permanent adhesive - not at all what you should use on a computer CPU. See the Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique for standard CPU applications



It's great for attaching heat sinks permanently to a northbridge chip or graphics card RAM- this is what I've used it for.



You mix equal quantities of the two tubes together and you have only two to five minutes before it sets, so have everything cleaned and ready before mixing. Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive (Two Tube Set)

If you need to attatch or re-attatch a heatsink or heatsink-fan *PERMANENTLY* to a chip (motherboard chipset, old video card GPU, ram chips, et cetra) this is the stuff to use. I used it to attatch a HR-05-SLI (google it) to an nforce4 ultra chipset on a mobo. After 20 minutes, it had set enough for me to pick the entire motherboard up by the heatsink... not a good idea, but I was curious. And the heat transfer through this epoxy (it IS epoxy) is incredibly good, too!



There is enough in the two tubes (its binary, two tubes to mix to activate the curing process) to attatch about five mobo chipset size chips to heatsinks depending on how much you use. Quite a good deal when you consider this is the best thermally conductive epoxy on the market!

The specs state this adhesive works down to -40C. I followed the instructions to the letter to bond a thermo electric cooler to a copper heatsink. The heatsink is kept at 0C and the cold side of the TEC at roughly -20C. Under these conditions the bonding strength is so weak that I had no trouble removing the TEC from the heatsink. While this stuff might work fine at higher temperatures it does not perform well at all at low temperatures. And I as only halfway down to the lowest temperature this stuff is advertised to work at. I realize that the bonding strength is slightly less below 0 C but this just doesn't work at all.

Not an every day product, but if you need a good thermal bond, this works. Easy to use, inexpensive. Mix the two parts, and apply to the thinks you want to bond together. Cures in a few hours. As with any epoxy, a bit messy, don't get on your clothes. This is not heat sink grease. It does not come apart. Once set, the parts stay together.

I needed some thermal epoxy that was cheap, and not the expensive Diemat stuff. I looked at local stores and no one carried epoxy that was thermally conductive. I ordered this, and used it on my LED project and sure enough it works great. It hardened up within the hour and does what its supposed to. You don't need to much, so mix sparingly and clean the surfaces prior to attaching anything as it is Permanent.

I used this epoxy to attach a heat sink to a Via C7 (low power x86) processor. It worked great. The amount in the tubes was a lot more than I required or expected. I have not tried the silver version of this product, however from what I have seen this stuff is good enough for any application I will have. - Arctic Silver'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Arctic Silver - arctic silver arctic silver Arctic Silver - arctic silver