Thursday 21 July 2011

Digital Camera Memory Card - photography, 2gb


You should be aware that this is an SD, not an SDHC card. That is important, because some older electronic devices are not compatible with SDHC cards. That makes this card a very good value. Yes, it only holds 2gb, which is not much compared to SDHC cards, but some devices can only use SD cards. If that is the case for you, I highly recommend this memory card. It is reliable, compatible, inexpensive, and rather fast.



I compared the following four SD memory cards:



1) Kingston 2 GB SD Flash Memory Card 2-Pack SD/2GB-2P

2) Lexar SDHC 4 GB Class 6 Flash Memory Card 100x Jewel Case Envelope Bulk LSD4GBBE100

3) Transcend 8GB Class 10 SDHC Card (TS8GSDHC10)

4) Sandisk 8GB Extreme SDHC Card-Class 10 (SDSDX3-008G-A31)



I compared the photo shooting speeds and the speeds to copy pictures onto a computer for the four different SD cards. I inserted the SD card into my Canon T1i dSRL, formatted the SD card, and shot in RAW+jpeg (which in this case was two files, 19.5mb and 4.7mb respectively). I timed how long it took to shoot 20 pictures, and then I timed how long it took to move those 40 files onto my computer. The T1i buffer filled up after 4.5 shots, so the remaining shots all depended on the write speed of the memory card. I didn't see too much difference in the time it took to copy the files to my computer, but there was a noticeable difference in the shooting speeds. The SanDisk class 10 SDHC card was clearly the fastest, but it was also the most expensive.



Shooting Speed

1) SanDisk 8gb class 10 SDHC (24 sec)

2) Kingston 2gb SD (38 sec)

3) Lexar 4gb class 6 SDHC (39 sec)

4) Transcend 8gb class 10 SDHC (45 sec)



Copy to Computer Speed

1) SanDisk 8gb class 10 SDHC (34 sec)

2) Kingston 2gb SD (34 sec)

3) Lexar 4gb class 6 SDHC (38 sec)

4) Transcend 8gb class 10 SDHC (40 sec)



Besides the speed differences, I have not noticed any other difference between these four memory cards. They are all compatible with everything I have (except for a few things that do not take SDHC cards). I have never lost anything on an SD card, and none of my cards have ever broken or failed. However, I do take very good care of them, and I always format the cards after copying pictures onto my computer. Depending on your needs, you may not need 8gb, or you may not need very fast write speeds. If speed matters to you, go with SanDisk...it is the fastest. Otherwise, consider a cheaper alternative. Kingston 2 GB SD Flash Memory Card 2-Pack SD/2GB-2P

Kingston 2 GB SD Flash Memory Card 2-Pack SD/2GB-2P

Delivery was faster than expected. I put one card in my new digital camera & it worked fine. I sold the other card to a friend at my cost & he said it worked fine in his camera also. I've used Kingston products for a long time & have never received a defective item.

Our camera only supports SD cards (not SDHC) so pure SD cards are getting hard to find. I ordered this two-pack from Amazon. They worked fine in the camera and but my HP laptop's internal card reader would not read these cards. A external card reader on another computer read them fine. I could surmised it could be my laptop's internal card reader, so I updated the driver, but no luck. Then I tried two other SD cards I had from different manufacturers, one a std 2 GB SD, the other a newer 4GB SDHC. Both worked fine with my internal card reader, so I'm guessing there is some kind of other incompatibility here (maybe with SD speed classes?). I returned these and will try another brand. And the "SD Association" deserves a slap upside the head for creating probably the most confusing set of "standards" ever put into a product.

Works well and I haven't had any problems except 1. When I got them and tried storing a lot of pictures to it, it stopped working after a while. Turns out I had to reformat to FAT32 because these were formatted as a FAT from the factory. Once I reformatted them, all was well and it took all the photos.



Mike

The Kingston 2gb SD cards work well with my camera. I have an older Canon camera which will not accept a SD card more than 2gb. With free shipping, the Kingston SD cards are a really great value and i've had no problem with the cards at all. I take tons of pictures, or short video clips with the camera too. I like them so much, I've ordered them more than once. I will definately come back and buy more when they're almost full of pics.

I recently purchased a few memory cards and have been doing speed tests on them. This card performs better than I expected. Here is the speed test:



Writing speed: 10.5 MByte/s

Reading speed: 19.1 MByte/s

H2testw v1.4



That is faster than the Kingston 16GB class 4 (with a writing speed of 4.72 MByte/s) that I also purchased.



Overall this card is great, but Kingston might not be the best brand for other cards that you might need. - Digital Camera Memory Card - Photography - 2gb - Kingston'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information