Wednesday 8 June 2011

Lens Accessories - flashes, flash


I have both this and the Opteka SB-110. There is really no comparison between the quality of the two. The only somewhat nice feature of the Opteka is the custom sized gels. In every way, the Fotodiox is superior. The quality of construction and quality of diffusion is much higher. This is a continuous piece of fabric with metallic lining to reduce light loss which will save you batteries in the long run. It comes with a zippered bag to keep the diffuser screen clean and the velcro strap is sewn to prevent misplacement. The images with direct flash have very soft lighting and natural white balance. I'm really happy with this purchase and I think you will be too. I may buy one for each of my other flashes. Fotodiox 8"x12" Softbox for Nikon Flash, Canon Speedlight, for Nikon SB-600, SB-800, SB-900 Flash, Canon Speedlite 380EX, 430EX, 430EX II, 550EX, 580EX, 580EX II, Vivita Flash, Sunpack, Nissin,Sigma, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonica Lumix Flashes

I bought this softbox in two different sizes; 6"x8" and 8"x12"

They're both well made and do an adequate job of softening the light from the flash unit.

The only problem I've had is securing the end of the softbox using the supplied velcro strap. If I stretch it around the flash head and secure it tightly it tends to twist the rear end of the softbox. This is not a major problem but is sometimes annoying.

This soft box is far better than I was expecting for it's price, to be quite honest. I was pleased with the fact that I did NOT have to put velcro on my flash to get this to stay on. It has a very firm grip and stays on the flash perfectly. It comes with a zippered bag, which I wasn't expecting. I am very pleased with the quality of the softbox!

For twenty bucks, it's hard to beat this investment in lighting-on-the-go. It's well made, attaches securely to the flash (the sewn-in strap is a nice touch), and softens the light very effectively. It's small enough to handhold without strain or awkwardness. A cheap radio trigger or some other off-camera flash triggering mechanism, a flash, and one of these things, and you have soft light for portraits and other moderate-sized subjects that you can take and shoot with you anywhere!

Best soft box for external flashes on DSLRs I use it for group shots when strobes are not avaliable.



Its kinda too big to travel with but works great if your willing to carry it around. Look into the FOTODIOX 6 x 8" softbox if you plan to travel around with your camera.



Softens the light indoors and out, kind of portable, easy to use, universal, and great quality. A must have!

Detroit Auto Show (NAIAS) - fellow photographer used this on his Canon Speedlite 580EX II; I didn't. His images did not have hot-flash spots; mine did. Bright lights were coming from all directions; using the Speedlite and Softbox did minimize the hot-light spots on the shiny car finishes.



The next day, I ordered the 8 x 12" Softbox. It is easy to attach, and fits well. The envelope carrier makes it easy to transport in my tote (too big for the camera bag, although the 'envelope' does have a loop to attach to the bag.) It also doesn't interfere with the Speedlite's range of motion, or get in the way of images taken with my 18-200 Canon wide-angle lens, even at the 18mm position.



I'm new to anything but ambient lighting - this has a great way to start learning new lighting techniques.



One small thing: at first, it looked as though there were 2 black marks on the white front. It turned out that it was black bits of lint around the brand tag on the back "wall".

The first thing about this softbox is that it's semi-rigid so it tends to flop around a lot. The quality is pretty good and it's pretty compact but I found that it doesn't have a huge advantage to a bounce card.

One would be better off getting a bigger bounce card or the Gary Fong lightsphere (though it's more pricey)

This item is probably the smartest piece of flash equipment I've bought this year. It's perfect for wedding receptions and for on location portraits. I have my flash on triggers and the light from this guy is SO beautiful. It's made my editing much easier with the less harsh lighting. It is so easy to put on and take off. It stays on with no problems and folds flat and slides into my bag like a folder. It's amazing!!

I regretted that I bought this. I'm usually satisfied with stuffs I purchase, but this one-I have to say-is a dud. It cannot be unfold and be straighten. It just looks stupid after is is unfold-large, crooked, and clumpsy-looking. There should be an internal frame that helps to straighten the softbox out-there is none, and this is a big flaw. The only frame is the one that keeps the front part of the softbox retangular, and it is flimpsy. I broke it when I tried to put it back into the pouch that it comes with. I don't bother returning this. Nothing good about this softbox. Don't buy is my advice. - Lighting - Flashes - Flash - Diffuser'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Lens Accessories - flashes, flash flashes Lens Accessories - flashes, flash