Thursday 26 May 2011

Logitech G9 Gaming Mouse - laser mouse, gaming mice


When we first reviewed the original Logitech G9 (November 2007), we didn't like it. Specifically, we thought it was uncomfortable to hold, using either of the removable shells. In fact, we described it as "not particularly comfortable for day-to-day mousing" before complaining that it was unsuitable for people who use a traditional palming grip.



We were wrong. After we made a few small adjustments to our grip, we fell in love with the G9--at least when using the grippy palm-friendly Precision body. We still don't like the smooth grip--dubbed Wide Load--and we're generally not fans of having to adjust our grip to suit a mouse, but the smooth response and power-gamer-friendly features that the G9x delivers make this mouse the best we've ever tested.



The Logitech G9x upgrades the mouse's sensor, but the rest of the mouse stays the same.



For the most part, the G9x and the original G9 are identical. The removable shells are the same, the internal weighting system accommodates up to 28 grams of weight, the onboard memory stores up to five profiles, and the scroll wheel switches between crazy-fast click-free scrolling to a more traditional click-to-click scroll at the press of a button. The only difference between the original G9 and the new G9x is its enhanced laser sensor.



Replacing the original G9's variable-sensitivity, 3,200dpi laser sensor is a 5,000dpi laser sensor, for true twitch gamers. At the highest sensitivity settings, moving the mouse a fraction of an inch will blast the cursor across the screen--giving you an edge in fast-paced shooters or RTS games where you need to cover a lot of ground quickly. Want to slow it down for a little sniping? Crank the mouse down as low as 200dpi on the fly, using the sensitivity adjustment buttons directly below the left mouse button. The mouse updates Windows up to 1,000 times per second, for accurate cursor movement no matter how fast you move it.



In its naked, shell-off form, you can see the G9x's removable weight tray. Whether you prefer a light or heavy rodent, you can have it your way.



As before, we love the G9x's profile feature, which lets you switch between pre-configured profiles on the fly on any PC, whether you have Logitech's software installed or not (you will need to have Logitech's software installed to configure the profiles initially, though). The on-mouse LEDs change color based on the profile you're using, so you won't accidentally find yourself in your RTS shooter profile when you fire up Left 4 Dead.



As with the G9, the seams between the G9x's removable shells and the main mouse body get pretty crusty over a long period of time. But everything else about this mouse--from the braided cord to its pair of thumb buttons--is awesome.





+ The best sensor we've ever tested. On-the-fly sensitivity adjustment. Driver-less profiles.



- The satiny texture of the Wide Load shell gets sweaty & gross after long sessions.



Verdict: 10 out of 10 Logitech G9X Programmable Laser Gaming Mouse with Precision Grips

I have owned a Logitech G5 mouse for about three years and have been very pleased. It is getting a little worn so I decided to buy a new one. I checked and found the G9X, which I assumed was a later, better model. I hesitated at the $98.21 price, but I wanted the best. I assumed it worked and felt like my G5. It is a beautiful mouse, and everything worked as expected, even though the cursor was a little unstable at the highest accelerations, but the feel is completely different. I tried it for two days, hoping I could adjust, but tonight, I realized that I would permanently damage my wrist if I didn't stop using it. I have been using mice since I bought a Mac in 1984, and this is the first mouse that I could not use. It forces me to bend my hand at an unusual angle. If you want a great gaming mouse, check this out, but test it first before you buy it, or you will be returning it for a refund minus the shipping like me.

I would say that I have a mouse fettiche. My favorite mouse of all time was the Logitech Wingman PS-2 gaming mouse. The ony drawback to that mouse was the lack of a thumb-buitton and scroll wheel, but for it's time it was awesome. Logitech has not come close to that degree of mousing perfection since...that is until the G9x. I did not have the G9 so I can not compare them. The last mouse I had was the G5, and there is no comparison. First let me start with what is good about the mouse, since there is so very little that is bad.



The Good:

Ergonomics - the ergonomics are about as close to perfect as you could imagine. Just like the Wingman Gaming Mouse, it is more of a wedge shape which just seems to fit the hand perfectly. Ergonomics are only enhanced by the multiple enclosures which have a very pleasing texture and non-slip grip. This is a new feature not seen in any mouse before and I think it is now a must-have.



Weight - As with many prior mice, you can fine tune the weight and there is a good selection of weights. With the heaviest load it has excellent heft.



Cord - Nice, long, thin, braided fabric-wrapped cord does not interefere with mouse tracking.



Buttons - The buttons have a perfect action and solid detents. The thumb buttons are positioned just right for a standard (non-claw) grip. The scroll wheel has a very solid feel and smooth action.



Ashetics - Very handsome, selectable light colors are a plus.



Features - Scroll wheel can be changed from click-type to smooth-scrolling. Selectable tracking speed is very well implemented. Saveable game profiles with onboard memory is a nice feature if you do LAN parties. I wouldn't use this, but nice to have anyway.



Tracking - smooth and precise, as you would expect from any modern mouse.



So what is bad? Well for one thing it broke in the first week I had it. I know things break, and I would not dock a star for that alone but this is an auspicious start for an otherwise outstanding mouse. More importantly is that I think they left some important features out. With your hand resting on the mouse, your 4th and 5th fingers just hang off the side...doing nothing. Why not have a third button toward the right side to increase functionality? If I were designing my perfect mouse, that feature would be there. The front thumb button is difficult to reach without a claw grip. I like the design of the Microsoft thumb buttons on their gaming mice better - with a vertical rather than horizintal orientation. When are input device makers going to realize that it is easier to rotate the thumb rather than bend it? The feet are not very slippery. I replaced them with Hyperglide feet (from FrozenCPU). Other than that I have to say that this thing is pretty close to perfect. Hard to not recommend it for any PC gamer. Even my wife loves the way it feels and she doesn't game at all. Buy it - you won't be disappointed. - G9 - G9x - Laser Mouse - Gaming Mice'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information