Friday 1 April 2011

Travel Water Heater - beverage heater, tea


Works as advertised. Great for travel. However, you need to be careful that you do not remove it from the cup before you disconnect it. There is an internal fuze that turns the heater off if it gets too hot. Once that happens its shot.



I liked this product but nowhere on my box did it say that if you ever let it boil dry or get too hot, it would be PERMANENTLY disabled! Believe me, I looked when mine stopped working suddenly. I only found out what had happened when I went to buy a replacement. Works great but $15 plus shipping is a little steep for a product you can destroy so easily. How hot is too hot? Just a big caveat.

It does exactly what it says. Compact & good price but $8 for shipping bumps it up a bit. Arrived promptly. It works on dual voltage by taking twice as long to boil a cup of water in the US (110V) as compared to Europe (220 - 240V). 10 minutes plus in the US but I am sure it is worth the wait for a good cup of tea!

My dad travels a lot and he was looking for something like this which can heat up a cup of water in a jiffy. This does the job beautifully. He lives in an asian country where the voltage is 240V and this worked perfectly. A cup of water comes to a boil in less than 3 minutes ! Pretty darn amazing !!

Cheaply made, designed with a self-destruct fuse that permanently kills the unit the first time it senses the unit is hot. Might fail your first use, might last up to a dozen uses, but it's designed to fail pretty quickly. I've bought at least three dozen of these various places during my years of constant travel, and they all fail, no matter how religiously you obey the instructions, don't blame yourself because THEY ARE DESIGNED TO FAIL.

I just think of them now as disposables. If one lasts two uses, I've broken even vs. the price of a cup of coffee. If it works the third time, I'm ahead in savings and convenience; if it lasts a fourth use, I've doubled the price I paid in savings over room service/Starbucks.



Like other reviewers I'd gladly pay much more for a reliable product that does its simple job without self-destructing, but quality US immersion heaters are no longer made. Another industry sold off to China.

One alternative if you're going to Europe/UK: buy a heater locally, you may find better quality, not all there are made in China...yet.



A bulkier less convenient option is to buy a $15-20 variable-dial electric travel 'hot pot'--they too are cheaply made in China, and you're boiling in plastic, but they last much longer than these coils, and with many models you can make soup, boil eggs, etc. See reviews there.

This travel immersion should is very dangerous and should not be used or sold. When our heater arrived, there was a notice that indicated that the heater was made in china, it contains lead, and you should wash your hands after using it. We were going to use the heater to heat coffee or tea while on travel so you can imagine our surprise. If I could give this less than one star I would definitely do that; I am really surprised that Amazon and others are selling this dangerous product. If you don't take my word for it, buy it for yourself and you will see.

I am extremely disappointed with this product. The plastic clip broke the second time I used it. It heats water, but it takes a long time (greater than 5 minutes) to heat an 8 ounce cup. I don't recommend the product unless you want to overpay for a device that marginally works and is cheaply constructed. - Beverage Heater - Immersion Heater - Tea - Electric Tea Kettle - Hot Water'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information