Friday 1 April 2011

Digital Camera Accessories - waterproof, underwater


The Canon underwater housings are designed to protect your camera from the elements, whether they are sand, rain, pool, or ocean. For use on the beach, while snorkeling, or taking shots of your kids in a pool there is little or no need to worry about the buoyancy of your camera housing. If you free dive or scuba dive you do not want your camera housing floating out of your hands. These weights are an easy way to adjust the buoyancy of your housing. The kit comes with four weight plates so you can fine tune your housing's buoyancy. I prefer a heavier setup and have added an extra plate compared to what was recommended by Canon. I'm very happy with the setup and they are very easy to use. Canon WWDC1 Weight for Canon Waterproof and All Weather Cases

The weights worked wonderfully but there were three things I'd like to point out before singing it's praises.

1.) As I was diving with the camera, the weights eventually worked themselves loose and had to be tightened about every 2 dives.

2.) The main screw that holds the weights together and on the camera (and that kept working its way loose) was the part that rusted, despite regularly soaking it in fresh water and drying it after diving.

3.) I met at least 4 other people with a canon underwater housing and only one other had weights for their camera. Everyone else said they didn't really need them. As for the two of us that had the weights, we only used two from that pack of 4 and the weighted case bumped off of stuff because it was dangling below, rather than hovering with me.

I got these for the case I purchased for my 700 IS and the most useful thing in the box was the manual. It tells you how to find out how many weights your camera model requires (which in my case was none!!!) So while these weights work great if you need them, make sure you do before you buy. Look around for Canon's underwater photography guide which should help clue you in.

I purchased an optional weight kit for my WP-DC80 Underwater Housing (for Canon SD550). Following the instructions to make the camera and housing neutrally buoyant, I attached one of the weights to the tripod attachment spot on the botton of the housing. It worked perfectly.

Sorry for the guy who sent his camera to the bottom of the Atlantic, but this product is great when you read the instructions! The camera case shows the weight configuration needed to make it and your camera neutrally bouyant - when tightened it stays on great and the camera does NOT sink. The weight kit is a great addition for those who are really going to use the case diving. I did 6 dives and it was great!

Canon, I'm appalled: instead of simply packing the adequate number of steel plates with the various underwater housings, you're selling these things for, I'm sure, 10 or 20 times the manufacturing price, AND complicate matters with the multiple screw/weight combination.

I added two of the weights to the housing for the sd700 and the camera was a little negatively bouyant, which is my preference. I've seen a few complaints that the screw loosens while using so I decided to try something that worked great. Take a small peice of plumbers tape and wrap the screw 2 or 3 times before tightening it up. I used the camera like this for 5 days of diving and never once had to tighten the screw. - Waterproof - Digital Camera - Underwater - Photography'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information