Friday 1 April 2011

Camera Filter - 52mm, filter


Having had Tiffen filters in three of my lenses, I was getting uncrisp, almost faded looking photos in the day time, and heavily flared nightime photos. At first I thought it was due to my relatively low budget Nikon D40 camera and lens setup.



After much trial and error and eventually suspecting the filters, I tried the Zeikos and what an amazing eye-opener. The pictures are now much crisper, more contrasty and professional looking. The flare is still an issue but only mildly and occasionally, and never nowhere near as bad as the Tiffens were. And the Zeikos online cost about a third of what I paid for the Tiffens at the camera store.



Zeikos is probably not the best out there, but for the low price they're probably among the best values.



The Tiffens are going in the garbage. Zeikos ZE-UV52 52mm Multi-Coated UV Filter

I'm not an expert but this filter is average. I put it on the end of my K-7 DSLR and it workes when it comes to protection, but I did see some flare when it comes to the sky. It's ok but I am going to invest in a higher quality filter instead of being cheap and having an average one. If you want protection, then this is good, but warning it will affect your image quality slightly.

The reason I gave it two stars is based on two things:

1. It seems to me that the filter is not multi-coated. Normally, a multi-coated lens has colorful reflection (red, greeen...etc.). The filter shows nothing like no coating glass.

2. The filter has thick ring which may not be good for wide angle lens.

But for the price, it works well on my 50mm lens.

...but you sure can't tell by looking at it.



The purpose of multi-coating is to reduce reflections from the surface of the glass. These filters appear to have the same reflectivity as a plain piece of glass. And, unlike every other multi-coated filter that I own, reflections from this Zeikos filter are untinted. As far as I know, that's pretty much impossible with a true multi-coated filter.



My conclusion? Either the filters I received have serious manufacturing defects or somebody is shading the truth. Since other reviewers have commented about the lack of tinted reflections, I'm assuming it's the latter. Both this and the 72mm one were returned to Amazon for refunds.

This is a great addition to my canon 50mm f1.8 lens. It helps protect it from dirt and finger prints. The built was pretty good and the glass was perfect. I haven't seen any problems with photo's with the lens on. I recommend this filter just because its cheap, its glass, and it protects your lens.

The filter is cheap and does it's job, which is protect the lens. It does not eliminate or even reduce solar flaring, shouldn't expect that for ~$2 or so. Consider it a clear piece of glass that protects your lens while not interfering with the image quality. If you go in with that mindset you won't be disappointed. I use it on all of my lenses (Nikon, 18-55, 55-200, 35mm f/1.8) and it's been great. Cheapest insurance I've ever bought.

This lens actually works pretty well. I didn't expect a lot for 3 dollars, but it works well. Upon screwing it on, I noticed a difference in little UV rays on the screen when filming outside below a tree in the sunlight. Some of it is still there, but the lens doesn't seem to deteriorate the quality of my video at all. For the money, it's a no brainer. If you have the money I'd maybe look into a little higher quality filter, I doubt this one is multi-layered like the description says, but for the money It's a great buy.

I bought this filter and a 58mm. I didn't expect too much for this price, but I was happily surprised! I use Pentax lenses and it fit's on the threads perfectly. The lens cap also fits on it great. It is also really thin so it's barely noticeable. I thought the rim would probably be made of plastic, but it's made of metal. It also came in a hard case, which is great to have. It came clean and without smudges. I haven't done any real extreme photography with it yet but I haven't noticed anything diffrent with my pictures, so I can't complain. - 52mm - Lens Filter - Camera Filter - Filter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information