Wednesday 20 April 2011

Lens Filter - lens filter, hoya


Looking through it with the naked eye reveals no distortions or imperfections. This is a genuine multi-coated UV filter (test this by looking at a reflection of a light source on its surface: a perfect reflection indicates no coating, a dim reflection indicates a single coating, and a green reflection indicates multiple coatings). Multiple coatings yield greater light transmission through the glass, and less glare, but (and this affects all multi-coated filters from all companies) also pick up dust, fingerprints, and condensation very easily (just holding it on the metal ring with your fingers causes condensation from your perspiration). Hoya 58mm UV (Ultra Violet) Multi Coated Glass Filter

Great filter, good build, glass, multicoated, not overpriced. Everything a filter should be. I've bumped the edge of this filter against hard surfaces more than once and it has not bent the aluminum ring or damaged the lens it was attached to. Good product.

This item turned out to be the right quality and the right price for me (I bought two of them for two lenses). Research convinced me to buy a lens filter that had multi coating on it to go with the lenses that are multi coated. These had good reviews and a reasonable price, so I gave them a try. They showed up in good shape, went on easily, and are now doing exactly what they should be doing... protecting my camera without me noticing the difference.

I bought this item after seeing all the rave reviews for it and have to say I'm a bit disappointed. While the filter itself is fine when brand new, it scratches and smudges easier than most filters I've had at this price point (though it is also optically superior). I have no complaints about the smudges as they come off with some cleaning which is needed for any UV filter at some point, but the scratches render this product useless very quickly. I recommend the Hoya Super HMC Haze UV(0) series over this one in a heartbeat. I don't believe the Super series costs that much more (~$45 for a 67mm filter), and it is much more scratch resistant due to the excellent multi-coated glass.

First thing is first: In terms of optical clarity, this filter gets a 5/5. If you have a good lens, you are screwing yourself if you put a cheap, uncoated filter in front of it. So in that respect, this is a great product.



But secondly, I knew the multi-coated surface was delicate, but, DAMN! I made every effort I could to be careful with the filter from the second I removed it from the case. I took it out in my back yard for about twenty minutes to test out both the filter and my new lens. By the time I got back inside, the glass was fine, but there was a thin 'scratch' in the multi-coating that I could see when I held it up to the light. I don't even know what happened to it because I THOUGHT I was being extremely careful. I haven't noticed anything in my photos yet, but it bugs me that part of the filter isn't multi-coated now. I'm now scared to take my filter anywhere outdoors!



Bottom line: Great filter if you're going to use it under very well-controlled conditions. But if you ever expect ANYTHING solid to accidentally brush the front of your lens, try to consider another solution (maybe an uncoated filter)

I hope I read other reviews about multicoated UV filter much early. I use a normal ... UV Haze filter on my kit lens since the first day, 2 years ago! I can take some sharp pictures, but always feel a masking over the picture and have to use software to touch up. To attack glare I even bought a flower shaped hood. With this Hoya HMC zipped on, I can tell it's more clear through now. Adorama standard shipping is lightning fast. From placing order to getting the filters only took 4 days, including a weekend.

The Hoya Multi-coated filter does not get in the way of excellent photograhps. Cannot detect any reflections or extraneous light from the glass, I cannot detect any difference in image quality in photographs taken with and without the filter. I consider it to be a high quality filter at least for the photo enthusiast.

Be careful with this company. There are several types of HMC UV filters, HMC UV(O), HMC UV(N) and HMC UV(C). The company confused us with UV(O) on the page and UV(C) as item being reviewed. I planed to order HMC UV(O) but they sent me a HMC UV (N) instead. HMC UV(N) is much cheaper than HMC UV (O) due to the build quality.

The Hoya is affordable and seems to be very good quality

This was the most affordable "multi-coated" filter I could find to protect my lens. The next time you're in a camera shop, do a visual comparison between a single and multi-coated filter.



My order with Amazon shipped fast and arrived in perfect condition



Here's an intersting discussion "Do I need multi-coated filters vs mono-coated?"

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000Vya - 58mm Filter - Digital Slr - Lens Filter - Hoya'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information