Tuesday 12 April 2011

Keurig Coffee Maker - my k-cup, single cup


Something that is important to be aware of is that you can't use just any ground coffee in this filter. I have a Kuerig Elite and bought a standard bag of Dunkin Donuts ground coffee and when I first tried to use it, the water going into the cup overflowed and came out of the overflow which essentially watered down the coffee considerably and had water pouring everywhere. I tried it again, this time with a little less coffee in the filter and had the same result. I contacted Kuerig customer support and they replied and told me to make sure I didn't pack the coffee, the filter was clean, and that the grind wasn't too fine because a fine grind would clog the filter. I cleaned the filter very carefully and even stirred the coffee grounds with the end of the spoon to ensure that it wasn't packed. The results were the same. I haven't tried using a different brand but I will. As for now though, the idea is great but I'm not convinced that there isn't a possible design flaw with this. Once I try a different ground coffee I will update further.



If you have a Keurig brewer then you need these extra filter baskets to please the other coffee drinkers in the morning. One works, but you don't need to constantly wash them before brewing another cup. While there are many flavors and types of K-cups, there is none better than using your own grind.

Each one lasts us about 6 months. There's 2 of us and we drink 2-3 cups of coffee each day. That's over 1000 cups of coffee per filter.

Clean filter out right after you make coffee to make them last longer. Don't bang on the filter too hard to clean out the coffee or it can come apart. I rinse it in the sink coffee grinds and all.

We buy a giant tub of folgers and that costs $6.99. It takes us about a month to drink it. We save SO much money this way and the coffee (even Folgers) tastes great! Save your grounds and add them to your potted plants or compost, plants and flowers love them!

I used to drink coffee only on Sundays. Bought Starbucks maybe twice a year. Now, thanks to Keurig and K-cups, I am absolutely (and happily) addicted, drinking 3 cups a day, the stronger the better. However the My K-Cups are useless. I bought a burr coffee grinder. I tried coarse grinds, I tried fine grinds, I tried filling them halfway, I tried filling them all the way. The coffee was always terribly weak. I even emptied a K-cup and put the coffee in it into the My K-Cup. Still lousy coffee. I called Keurig and their solution was to send me two new My K-Cup filters. The new ones were no better than the old ones. Then I bought on Amazon the EZ Cup with the EZ cup filters. These work and work very well. Keurig - admit that your My K-Cups are a total and abject failure and buy the company that makes the EZ Cup and EZ Cup filters. Your customers deserve better than the My K-Cup.

The only reason why I rated it 4 instead of 5, is b/c the reusable k-cup doesnt make as good of a cup of coffee as the k-cups. This isn't because of the brand of coffee I'm using, it's just not nearly as easy to do and a few grounds end up getting in the coffee.

There isn't a K-Cup coffee pod out there that can beat grinding your own freshest coffee beans and the average cup of making your own coffee is at a fraction of the costs.



There was a person here who posted the perfect permanent method and that is to buy the replacement metal mesh filters from Keurig.com which are $9.99 for a pair.



We bought two pair for a total of 5; one came with the coffee maker. We trimmed the edge of a few of the K-Cups we got with our coffee maker for safe keeping. Trimming the edge will allow the metal mesh filter to fit perfect in the "pod" holster and screw the gray lid snugly.



We use a Food Saver and Mason Jars to store our coffee. We prepare the filters just prior to loading them each and every day and each and every evening, Cleanup is incredibly easy and reloading them equally easy.



The average cost of Paul Newman's brand at Wal-Mart is $9.88 or $10.77 counting 9 percent tax. That's 60 cents per cup which is simply ridiculous. I don't deny you can find it cheaper elsewhere; my problem is I've yet to enjoy a fresh cup of coffee via these little devils.



We bought 6 K-Caps and they have their place too but we found the coffee weaker due to having to use less coffee than the metal mesh but come in handy in a pinch.



We've done our fair share of experimenting and both K-Caps and the reusable filters and give the nod to the metal filters.



For those of you who grind your own beans; we found fine-medium is the same as what are in the pre-made K-cups.



To those of you who had some really wonderful tips; thank you very, very much!

I'm not really sure why so many people are unhappy with these replacement filters. We bought our machine a year ago and, yes, we have had to change the filter a few times because after so many cups of coffee, it becomes clogged and unable to be cleaned, but it's a much cheaper way to go than K-Cups and it makes a great cup of coffee. I have had no problem with any of the different brands or types of coffee I use. Yes, if you fill it too full, you might get a few grounds in your coffee, but just don't overfill it! Not a problem at all and now that I know I can get 2 replacement filter baskets for the price of one unit, I'm thrilled. - Single Cup - K-cups - My K-cup - Coffee Maker - Reusable Filter - Keurig Coffee Maker'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information