Friday 4 March 2011

Tactical Light - tactical, nc star


I have this mounted on a Sig Sauer SP2022 in 9mm. As others have said the light has to slip on the front, so rails need to be opened ended which is the case with my Sig. The fit is VERY tight on my gun. I've seen other reviews that say they won't fit sigs due to the rail shape. Well it does fit mine, and the tight fit is something I like. I use this as bedside gun for me and my wife, so the light is not constantly being pulled on and off. If it were, I think I would have to sand it down a little to make it easier to get on and off. As it is, the tight fit makes it a good solid mount.



The construction, fit and finish are incredible for such a cheap product. Light is very bright and beam is very uniform, especially at the center of the beam. At average home across the room distance you get a very bright basket ball sized center beam that is accurate enough to nearly be an aiming system all by its self. The spill over illuminates everything around this area very well and makes any target readily identifiable. Just a really great buy. After having a couple different lights from this company, it's really hard to justify the price for a surefire or what not.



None of my shooting buddies will believe me when I tell them how low the price is on NCStar products. The first thing I ever bought from them was a red dot sight for my shotgun. That cost me 30 bucks, and in all honesty has been just as good as much much more expensive brands I've owned in the past. Sure there are some little things that don't measure up quite as well to say EOTech, but for average civilian real world situations and usability, it's hard to find where the extra hundreds of dollars actually pays off.



Though I've never personally had a problem with any of their items, it seems from some reviews I've read that NCStar may have an issue with quality control. That may be one of the things sacrificed for the low price point. So if by chance you do get a bad one, I suggest getting an exchange. Odds seem to be good that the next one will be just fine and you'll still save hundreds of dollars. I've bought over a dozen things from them now, for myself and gifts, without a speck of trouble.



NCStar stuff is the greatest thing ever for gift giving. If you have a lot of shooter friends or family you have to buy some of these products. 20 to 50 dollars, two day delivery, and your friends think you dropped several hundred on them :) There is just no way to pick one of these items up in your hand and believe it cost $30. The build quality is just that good. Just screwing off the cap to stick in the battery feels like your handling a professional piece of equipment that carried a premium price tag.



To sum up...

Very happy. If you're thinking of getting a weapons light, do yourself a favor and at least try one of these before you go and blow a bunch of money. Worst case... you don't like it and you're out thirty bucks. Best case... you discover a hidden gem in the firearms market and start saving some serious dough on accessories from now on. Dough you can use to buy more actual guns rather than overpriced stuff to stick on your guns :)

Fits my Springfield XD .45 perfectly. It's quite bright too, I thought maybe 35 lumens wouldn't be enough but it's pretty good. The light has a nice white center with good spill. The switch is on the right side, you push it with your trigger finger for on. On my XD as I pick it up the tip of my finger falls quite naturally on the switch. Push it to the left for on and then back to the right for off. Sure, it's not as nice as the $200 lights, but for around $35 I'm impressed. Looks pretty cool too, and the weight doesn't seem like it will affect shooting at all.

I bought this light to fit my Sig Sauer P229R and it wouldn't fit because you have to slide it on the rails instead of mounting it and screwing it on. If your rails are slightly rounded like the p229's are chances are it wont fit. On the other hand, it fit my Glock 17 and I think its a great product on the glock.

light meets my needs quite well for the price. Simple, bright, etc. The quick release is pretty nice too, for changing placement while trying it out in different configurations. The front of the light is scalloped, giving it a menacing appearance. Didn't notice that from the picture. I can see some people wanting a hard mounted one, but it doesn't appear like it would come off during a struggle (like If I whacked someone in the mug with it)while at the same time I can pop it onto my shotgun for home defense use and not need any tools. I can field dress the longer barrel off, put the short barrel on, and have my light mounted w/ no tools in about 3 minutes.



The light is a thumbswitch type, not a remote pressure switch.



Vendor was quite good too: the product showed up like the day or second day after purchasse. - Ncstar - Nc Star - Pistol - Tactical'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information