Friday 4 March 2011

Fountain Pens - lamy, pen


Somehow, I find some humor in the fact that this pen is so well rated, yet most reviewers take care to point out that it isn't the prettiest, most overpriced, or fanciest pens around. Unlike many companies, Lamy makes pens and pencils. They don't use pretentious euphemisms for pens like those other companies, nor do they charge 10x-100x what the pens are worth. They do make awesome pens like the Safari, which are indestructible and feel good in the hand, and they make some incredibly smooth nibs.



The Safari does make an awesome starter fountain pen, but it's a starter pen that'll last you your entire life. I recommend a Fine or Medium nib if you're new to a fountain pens. You can even buy spare nibs for the Lamy so that you can swap between different sizes. Lamy Safari Fountain Pen - Charcoal - Fine

The Lamy Safari is not my favorite fountain pen. However, this is the only pen that I always have with me. Well, I actually have the clear version as well, so I always have one of those two with me. The quality of the nib is excellent and writes very well. It feels OK in your hand - not as nice as some of "finer" pens, but nice. It used to be that I kept my fountain pens at my desk and carried around a ball point pen clipped to my shirt. The reason was the price - I didn't want to risk losing a pen by leaving it somewhere. That changed when I discovered this pen. I still don't want to lose it, but at this price, I am willing to risk it. The payoff is having a very good fountain pen with me for whenever I need to write.



I recommend this pen for someone first fountain pen, or for a fountain pen lover who wants an excellent "every day" pen.

Bought a cheap Cross many years ago just to see if I liked fountain pens. Cheap it was, and my interest died. Desperate for stocking stuffer ideas, I put this on my wish list after reading the wopping two other reviews.



Writes very well, and seems well built and durable. As a fountain pen novice, I didn't realize the ink was not waterproof - d'oh! I need durable ink. Bought the converter (available on Amazon) and Noodlers Bullet Proof Black both direct from WorldLux site. Works great - ink's topsoil ran under the tap, but that's all. The writing remains and highly legible.



No instructions for any of the above, but all fairly idiot proof.



Bottom line: a quality introduction to fountain pens at a reasonable price.

The Safari is the entry-level "school" fountain pen in Lamy's product line, and it shares the attributes of most Lamy pens: they're functional, sturdy, and entirely unpretentious. Most low-end fountain pens from other manufacturers are either cheaper versions of their more expensive models, or intentionally tarted up to look like more expensive pens (Waterman's Phileas with its faux art deco styling and printed marbling pattern comes to mind.) The Safari, on the other hand, is a clean, simple, and unadorned original design.



The construction of the Safari is bulletproof. It's made of ABS plastic, the nib is a steel point that's very easy to swap out, and both the Lamy standard cartridge and the optional converter hold a ton of ink. The clip is a bent wire, like an oversized paper clip, and when you put a Safari in your pocket, it'll stay right where you placed it. The Lamy steel nib is somewhat of a standard among their pens--the same nib that's on the Safari can be found on their more expensive Studio, Accent, CP1, and half a dozen other models. It just pulls straight off the feed for cleaning or replacement, and you can swap it out in five seconds for a different size. (The standard Lamy nib is inexpensive and comes in many nib sizes, from extra-fine to broad, and they even make calligraphy versions in three different widths.)



For a starter pen, the Safari represents the best value on the market. The nibs are uniformly good, the pen is damn near impossible to kill (it was designed for rough-and-tumble school use), and it can be had in many different colors. With the optional converter, you can use the many bottled inks out there, which is half the fun of writing with a fountain pen. Many fountain pen aficionados have started with a Safari, and many who did still have theirs as part of their pen rotation, because they're so tough and useful.



A note on colors and textures: the Charcoal version of the Safari has a slightly rough finish, which some people prefer over the slicker plastic finish of all the other Safaris because it's less slippery. Also, the Safari's section (the part you have your fingers on) is indented into a triangular shape to steer your fingers into the proper orientation for fountain pen writing. Most users are fine with it, but some don't like the Safari's slightly unorthodox section.



For around $30, you get a first-rate fountain pen that will hold its own against pens of three or five times the Safari's price point. It's a very utilitarian design, without a bit of "bling" on it, but when it comes to entry-level fountain pens, I can't think of a better pick for the money.

I decided to switch to a fountain pen for ecological reasons (maybe that was just the excuse I needed to justify the expense). The last fountain pen I owned was a Mont Blanc I had treated myself to after graduating some 25 years ago. That pen was very scratchy and turned me off on fountain pens in general. I was hesitant about buying another fine point after the experience with the Mont Blanc, but the reviews were so good, I thought I'd give it a try. This pen is incredibly smooth. I ordered the pen (cool white color), converter refill and some Noodler's ink from Pencity.com. Their price was great, they had everything I needed and the customer service was wonderful!!!



I was so happy with this pen, I ordered the medium point because I often prefer a slightly bolder stroke. I think it is a great pen and the low price is just a bonus. This pen is perfect for my writing style. It's a little bolder than the fine point but not too bold. Writes even more smoothly than the fine point (didn't think that was possible).



A PLUS for the fine point - good pen to keep in a purse, because of the fine line it can write on any quality paper and still be readable. - Lamy - Fountain Pens - Ink Cartridge - Pen'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Fountain Pens - lamy, pen fountain pens Fountain Pens - lamy, pen