Friday 4 March 2011

Recording Equipment - laptop, recording equipment


I wanted an external audio interface for recording music into and through my laptops, which have unacceptably noisy mic inputs. I went with the Behringer UCA-222 because it was dirt cheap. So far it's fine for my purposes, nothing fancy, but I didn't expect anything fancy. Here are a few observations that may help other buyers, things Behringer doesn't really clarify in their documentation and advertising, or otherwise might be relevant and helpful to know before buying.



1) I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how the UCA-222 differs, if at all, from the slightly cheaper UCA-202 (Behringer U Control UCA202 USB Audio Interface). I finally concluded that the only differences are the name (202 vs 222), the color (222 is sports car red), and the software included. The units are otherwise identical. This is useful to know, since I've read people on other forums wondering this too. Behringer seems to go to lengths not to say this in so many words. I have a theory why (just a theory) and it involves the other main difference, the software that comes with the 222. Now more on that:



2) The 202 comes with the free and open source Audacity, and with Kreatives' Kristal Audio Engine (also free)--(neither one is the best free choice out there). The 222, on the other hand, also comes with Energy XT2.5 ("Compact Behringer Edition") and another disk with "over 100 virtual instruments plus more than 50 effects plug-ins including VST host-, audio- and podcast-software for direct start-up." For me, the question became, is the 222 worth $6 more to get this software? I decided, what the heck. Some notes on this software:



EnergyXT2.5 Compact: EnergyXT is a more or less full-featured digital audio workstation that Behringer is also promoting as their exclusive sequencing solution, in several packages (overpriced, imho, see for example: Behringer energyXT2.5 Portable Digital Audio Workstation (Standard). You can download and buy the full-sized program for 59 euros, and the upgrade from the limited compact edition sells for 29 euros. So, doing the math, the retail price for this program is about 30 euros (~$37 by today's exchange rate). The compact version is limited to 8 tracks (so you'll have to bounce down to get extra space), 8 simultaneous instruments (not a big limitation), 2 global send effects, and 2 insert effects per mixer channel (which CAN be a BIG limitation!), plus a couple other details (see EnergyXT website to dig out details). I have other workstations that I'm used to and prefer, so this wasn't a great addition for me. But all audio recorders know that having another piece of software, with its internal effects and abilities, on hand can come in handy at times. (EnergyXT for example has a nice internal drum machine). Another note: EnergyXT is more suited to MIDI than to audio (it looks and feels a lot like FruityLoops), whereas I like Reaper, Cubase, and Magix better. Like Reaper, EnergyXT is small, light, and seemingly pretty fast (I haven't used it enough to know whether it lives up to the speed and stability that they tout for it)--and it does get a 9/10 user rating on kvraudio.



The "U-Control Ultimate Software Package": There are indeed a lot of good things on this disk. But most if not all of them are free for the downloading (as free- or shareware) online. Knowing something about the VST world, this is more or less what I expected to find, when Behringer was giving away "150 vsts!" for about $6. That's actually the sneaky little secret in this product and how it is marketed, but you can't really blame Behringer too much. It doesn't make very good ad copy to say: "And we'll throw in a CD that includes over 150 pieces of freeware and shareware that you could download yourself. But hey, they're all here in one place, organized on a disk. That should be worth something, right?" But the bottom line is, that is worth something, even for those (like me) who have all or most of this stuff already lying around in my downloads and already installed in my VST folders. But I hope at the very least that Behringer has arranged some sort of profit-sharing deal with the many hobbyist, semi-pro, and struggling pro software developers that made this stuff. I mean, it would be sleazy of them if they're just bundling up freeware to add value to their product and not paying for it. On the assumption that they ARE paying the software developers for it, I feel good about contributing a bit to all those great VST developers, even if it is pocket change and via a big pro-audio hardware company.



Again on the assumption that Behringer is paying the free software developers for distribution rights, I'm not going to go ahead and write up a list of the exact VSTs and other software that is included (as I initially intended to do). If you know what I'm talking about here, chances are you've downloaded and used and enjoyed much of this stuff for free for years. If you're considering whether to buy the 222 or 202, and wondering whether the $6 or so more you'll spend (by Amazon's prices) is worth it, just ask yourself if you want or need a licensed copy of EnergyXT and/or a CD with a bunch of great (and middling) shareware VSTs and VSTis all organized by type on a CD, for easy loading on any new computer. If those two things are worth $6 to you, go with the 222. If not, go for the 202. Same piece of hardware (except of course the sporty cherry red: in the end, that was one reason I went for it, I liked the color a bit better).



The UCA222 itself is pretty bare-bones and basic. I use it to connect my laptop to an external mixer into which I route my guitar amps and microphones. It uses the Windows Legacy Audio Drivers, so you don't have to install any driver (though Behringer does provide one, but I did not install it, since I use ASIO4ALL to perfect satisfaction). The unit's output maps onto a standard Windows Audio Software Mixer and the volume is controlled at the software side. The unit's input is far more basic: it does not even generate a slider in the Record side of the Windows Mixer. You'll have to go into a program that records (your sequencer), set the input to the USB device, and arm an input to detect it. This took me some time to figure out (and I generally understand how these audio devices connect to programs)--in fact, I thought my unit's inputs were defective for a little while till I figured it out. But in the end it worked (with a little bit of annoyance and time wasted).



Another thing to know is that the unit is strictly 16 bit audio. This will definitely matter to many recording enthusiasts. 24 bit devices are readily available these days, and if digital quality is of the utmost essence, you will probably not be satisfied in the end with the UCA-222 (or 202).



Bottom line: It's hard to beat Behringer's bare-bones units for price. If you have a need or use for the extra software--and it's a good bag of goodies--throw in another $6 for the shiny red 222. Behringer UCA222 U-Control Ultra-Low Latency 2 In/2 Out Usb Audio Interface with Digital Output And Massive Software Bundle - Laptop - Behringer - Home Recording - Recording Equipment'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Recording Equipment - laptop, recording equipment behringer Recording Equipment - laptop, recording equipment