Tuesday 1 March 2011

Succelerator Considering - christian parenting, parenting


Reading this book has not only opened my eyes to the huge lies that society is forcing down our throats; but it has helped me to realize that I have been involved in teaching them to my own daughter! Mostly because I, too, have believed many of these lies; however, now that I see the truth, I am thankful that my own daughters are young enough that I can train them up in the ways of the Lord and teach them to save themselves--physically and emotionally--for a man who deserves them!



I would recommend this book to anyone with daughters and even to any female at all; undoubtedly, all females are helping to shape the lives of young girls around them. Whether they be neighbors, church members, neices or friend's daughters, this book is a clear, concise explanation of what has happened to society over the years, and further--how we can improve it! Five Conversations You Must Have with Your Daughter

Vicki Courtney has written a wonderful resource for mothers. 5 Conversations You Must Have With Your Daughter is full of encouraging advice about how to approach the tough topics with your daughter at each stage of her growing up years. Topics like:



* Your are more than the sum of your body parts.

* Don't be in such a hurry to grow up.

* Sex is great and worth the wait.

* It's OK to dream about marriage and motherhood.

* Girls' gone wild are a dime a dozen - dare to be virtuous.



She not only shares her advice, but her experiences - both good and bad, and information from a lot research that helps you understand the battle we are facing in raising daughters.



While I personally do not agree with absolutely everything Vicki wrote (mostly technique or a particular approach) I would still highly recommend this book for any mom to read no matter how old your daughter is. I have always anticipated having these conversations with my daughters because I want to be the one to share with them rather then let them fall into the world's false beliefs.



I noticed that at times Vicki seemed to be ultra careful in one area and then more "liberal" in another compared to what I would be. When reading/listening to this book I highly suggest you think about the information given and prayerfully make changes in your family in agreement with your husband. I think you will find a lot of helpful information and ideas to aid you in being a better mother to your daughter(s).



The one and only negative I have on this book is that I really did not like the way that it was read on the audio version. However, it was not bad enough to cause me to stop listening. The one caution I have is to make sure you listen to it out of the hearing range of any children of any age. This is most definitely a book for mothers only.



* * * * *



This review copy was courtesy of Oasis Audio.

I'm about 75% finished with this book. I bought it because I have a 6 yr old daughter and I work with the high school students in my church. Vicki does present some good facts and thoughts, and I've used those to facilitate some good conversations with both my family and my small group. However, I have to make an effort to read this book because I cannot stomach her judgemental attitude. Heaven forbid her good, Christian daughter would befriend a non-believer. Or that a teenager would buy a birthday gift for someone from Victoria's Secret (does she not know they have the most comfortable cotton panties? Or that VS's lotions and PJ's are a very popular bday gift?). Or that a "good, virtuous Christian girl" would not want to marry as soon as she graduates college... Again, good info, but I feel the need to work around some of the things presented here. I am literally needing to talk myself into finishing the book.

This book is clearly intended for moms, but this dad learned a lot.



I began reading this book on a plane during a business trip. Based on the title alone, no less than five flight attendants thanked me for reading it and expressed their wish that their fathers had read something similar. I was also approached by a couple of female passengers. None of my four flights passed without someone commenting on the book. Obviously, the topic of this book fills a need.



The author is unabashedly Christian, but her information and guidance are applicable regardless of your religious tendencies. If you're uncomfortable with Christianity, just mentally substitute "grandpa" for God and "Important Psychology Textbook" for Bible, and you'll discover that it really is universal. The author espouses her ideals but is careful to explain that each family and each daughter are different, and that an overly strict "one size fits all" approach will not be successful. She also accepts that every parent is imperfect, having made their own mistakes while growing up (and likely continuing to make mistakes). She admits her own mistakes and is very open about the abortion she had as a young woman. Obviously, this is not a woman who would disown her daughter for pre-marital sex or teen pregnancy, but she recognizes these are not the goals. This book offers great information and guidance on ways to reduce their likelihood.



What opened my eyes the most was the information on the effect of media on little girls. When I look at a covermodel on a magazine, I think "Wow, she's hot." I generally take little notice of the men on magazine covers (sorry, I'm just a typical guy). However, when young girls see a covermodel, they think "Ugh, I don't look like that, so I must need to diet, wear more make-up, dress more provocatively, etc." I was also surprised at just how much teen girls measure their self worth by the attention they get from boys. Talk about a recipe for eating disorders, teen sex, etc.



After reading the book (and several by Dannah Gresh on related topics), I have already begun these conversations with my daughters (7 and 5 yrs old). Before reading the books, I thought I could wait until my daughters were in their teens before having "the talk." Now I realize that there is not just "the talk," but rather many conversations that must start while they are young and must be ongoing. Just the other day, I showed my girls a magazine cover of Faith Hill and the original (before photoshop) version. They were amazed at how much "editing" was done for one of the most beautiful women in the world. They came away understanding that "nobody looks like the woman on the magazine...not even the woman on the magazine!" These conversations are just too important to risk the consequences of not having them. - Parenting - Vicki Courtney - Christian Parenting - Womens Issues'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Succelerator Considering - christian parenting, parenting womens issues Succelerator Considering - christian parenting, parenting