Thursday 24 March 2011

Sleep Apnea - sleep aid, solution to sleep better


I bought the Snore-Stopper for my husband. Frankly, the noise was very disturbing. This product is amazing. We followed the simple instructions for fitting the oral mouthpiece to his mouth. The results are really gratifying for both of us. It seems to work by moving the lower jaw forward.

There was a dramatic decrease in his snoring . He keeps the device in all night without difficulty, and also reports a decrease in his usual daytime fatigue. I'm really glad we tried this device,he and I sleep much better with it.

This device works and works well. I am a soft pallete snorer and my snoring has been getting worse the last several months. This mouthpeice has done the trick. By the third night my husband reports, my snoring stopped completely. I also wake up in the morning feeling great without my usual headaches. There is some discomfort in the begining, therefor I would recommend you gradually increase the time wearing from a few hours to overnight. This an amazing product and well worth the price. I wish I had ordered it years ago.

I haven't tried this exact product yet, but due to a snafu this year with my "flexible spending account," I did end up with $1200 I was going to lose, so I sprung for a "professional" anti-snoring appliance. The "pro" ones consist of two hard plastic "tooth pieces" molded respectively to fit your upper and lower teeth and a pair of rubber straps that connect the two pieces. Your dentist creates soft reverse molds of your upper and lower teeth and sends them to a technician, who creates plaster molds of the upper and lower teeth and then creates reverse molds (again) out of hard-ish plastic. These reverse molds snap (at least in my case) *very* firmly onto your teeth. The rubber straps come in different strengths. The object of the appliance is to hold your jaw open and forward to whatever extent is comfortable, safe, and required to keep your soft palate from flapping in your respiratory breeze. Most of you will already know this much, but you might not know this other stuff....



The "pro" appliances could, I imagine, be pretty comfortable if they are done precisely and carefully, but my sense is that most US dental offices don't do this much because at present most insurance plans don't cover them and most people won't pay over a grand for something that might or might not work. Thus, I think a lack of practice might contribute to a shortfall in the kind of virtuosity you see with crowns and other common appliances. Mine is still being fitted by the dentist who worked with me it, but it's pretty uncomfortable, is a struggle to get off my teeth and out of my mouth in the morning, and it actually causes my teeth to move around (or, strictly, I suppose you could say it prevents my teeth from moving around--same net effect--they are not where they want to be). When I wear it, my teeth don't mate with each other for a few hours the next morning, and especially my bottom teeth feel odd for up to two days. Time will tell whether this can be remedied without a total rework, but my third return visit is scheduled for next week, and of course each visit costs me a couple of hours of hassle, travel, and missed work.



I mention all of this to suggest three things. First, that spending $20-40 on a short-term custom solution like this one could be done quite a large number of times before approaching the prices of a "pro" device, so I recommend that you not be daunted by "wasting" a hundred bucks or so figuring out the right boil time, tooth position, jaw position, etc. Second, the short-term solution, it would seem, might give you a better shot at long term dental health because your teeth are able to reset their alternate anti-snoring position every few months when you replace and re-mold. And, Third: if you are, as I am, a person whose snoring is reduced or eliminated by the use of such a device, it's really quite nice to be able to e.g. wake without a headache, spend the whole night in bed with your significant other, etc---so, again, if you "waste" a hundred bucks experimenting, I think that's well worth the money.



Hope this non-review helps some of you. On the strengths of the positive reviews I see here and the cost and complexity of the weaknesses of the "pro" model, this seems like it's worth taking a run at before you jump into anything more expensive.

I have OSA, so I actually own a real medical-need issued MAD. When I lost that for a few days and was not sure when I'd get it back, I bought these as an emergency alternate.



Unlike my true MAD, this product does not split open between the upper and lower jaws. As I tend to open my mouth when sleeping, it was not effective at keeping my lower jaw advanced.



A closed mouth sleeper should get some benefits from this device if the snoring occurs in the thoat.



The procedure to customize the mouth piece was reasonably straightforward, but I was not fully prepared and so did not bite down with my lower jaw extended enough. Practice that motion a bunch of times before putting the device in the hot water and molding it.



The good thing is that this device is not very expensive. However, I suggest buying sports mouth guards at the local sports store first.



BTW, the FDA clearance that this and other similar products speak of are regarding the use of the plastic compound that make up the device. These are not FDA-approved in terms of their fuctioning as a medical device. - Snoring - Apnea - Sleep Aid - Solution To Sleep Better'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information