Thursday 31 March 2011

Reading Comprehension


This has been a great resource to me as a First Grade Teacher. The book is mostly ready to copy printables. Each week, you make photocopies for the students of the two pages of homework. One page is a short story with illustrations, and the other page has questions or a quick activity, along with a note to parents. I have found these to be very helpful in building comprehension and fluency skills. I also think that it has been good for the parents of my students because they have more direction, as far as what they can do to help their child read. Each assignment focuses on a different skill (cause and effect, punctuation, sequence of events, etc.), and the parent note really helps to inform and guide parents through the homework as they help their child. I also like that the homework is due at the end of the week, so parents can pick which night is more convenient to help their child with the homework.

Overall I am very pleased with this resource. Week-by-Week Homework for Building Reading Comprehension & Fluency: Grade 1 (Week-by-week Homework For Bldg Reading C)

I have been able to use the beginning stories for my struggling first graders, and the stories towards the end of the book are great for my struggling second graders. Being able to incorporate comprehension is an added bonus.

Looking over the comprehension books, I felt the reading passages were grade level appropriate. Sometimes it will be listed as 2nd or 1st and be too difficult or easy. These would have pleased Goldilocks.

I use weekly homework bags during most regular weeks, but this book provides a supplement for extended work for some of my students. I have also used this alone for homework on short weeks and track off weeks. It is straight forward and doesn't require a lot of time and extra effort to prepare.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Reading Comprehension Reading Comprehension Reading Comprehension