Thursday 31 March 2011

Nook Color Cover - nook color cover


I've been a buyer of Otterbox cases for years, which is why I had really high expectations for this case. Unfortunately, it falls short...



First, be aware that it adds a VERY significant amount of bulk to your Nook. I expected this and wanted this, since my psychotic kid bangs this thing around when he plays with it. For regular users (no kid involved), it's probably overkill. The standard $20 silicone cover you get at B&N will suffice for most, and adds very little bulk. Seeing the NC in this case with its tiny baby screen looks silly. You literally have almost an inch of bezel around the device.



Second, this case allows access to the clip-on corner ring on the Nook. IMHO, the clip on corner is stupid (that's putting it nicely). Nobody uses it and nobody wants it. Of the 30+ people I personally know who bought the Nook, no one uses it, and they all hate it. Even the B&N silicone case doesn't have a cutout for it (what does this tell you?)



Third, the case's plastic wraparound "armor" is actually pretty fragile. On both sides it is cutout so that a thin strip of plastic lines the sides of the device. I'm sure my kid will grab it, pull it, and break it at some point. The thing would have been much more secure without the cutout, and I honestly don't know why they went with that approach.



Fourth, the plastic armor doesn't really fit snugly onto the silicone case. It seems a little too big and bows out in certain spots.



Finally, the case is made in China. I prefer US-made products, probably because I'm an American and like to support my own nation instead of selling ourselves out to foreign communist interests.



I'm only giving this case three stars because it's just not worth the $35 Amazon price (let alone the $50 retail price). Lately, I've been buying Case-Mate products and I believe they are better than Otterbox in terms of quality, durability, and overall fit. In addition, Otterbox has been VERY slow in getting new cases to the market. The HTC Thunderbolt has been out for over two months and they still don't have a case for it. Otterbox Commuter Case for Barnes & Noble Nook Color (BNN4-NOOKC-20-E4OTR)

I've bought Otterbox cases for 2 other devices over the years (iPod Tough 3G, and then again for the 4G), and after doing some research, it looks like Otterbox was still the way to go for my Nook Color.... especially for letting the kids use it, too (a 5 year old, and a 2.5 year old). I'm also keeping an eye on Lifeproof, to see if they ever make a case for the Nook Color, as theirs seem to be all this, and waterproof, too.



The case seems snug and capable, and I expect it to protect well, but I don't like how the plastic has transformed the grippy rubber that coats the back of the Nook, into a slippery surface that makes one-handed holding feel a bit chance-y. Not a fan about that, I'll probably stick on some grip tape or rubberized sticker or something. Also, the microSD card slot is enclosed within the layers of protection, so you have to take off the Otterbox plastic shell, and peel away the corner of the silicone skin to access the SD slot. Not a fan about that, either.



Considering how well Otterbox products protect, and how prone people are to 5-starring lesser cases out of laziness or just not doing their research, I'm tempted to 5-star this as well, but I think a 4-star is what it deserves for those 2 large annoyances.



Also, has anyone had any luck with getting a really clean application of the screen protector? Every pass I've done on it still has very slight imperfections under the surface (not really bubbles, but as if there's a fleck of invisible dust or something keeping it from perfectly/invisibly adhering across the whole screen)?

My experience with Otter Box has always been a good one so i bought their product again for my nook Color.

I just got it so I dont know how it will hold up but if it is anything like my Iphone case i wont worry about it.

The nook slips right in the skin and there is a plastic backing that clamps over the back and around the skin.

It adds a little more weight to the nook but it makes the Nook feel like an industrial grade product it just feels

tough. I bought the Nook so that I could use it for business(internet,email and app abilities)so I will be toting it around a lot. Glad I bought the Nook color and I'm glad that I bought this Otter Box to protect my investment. - Nook Color Cover'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Nook Color Cover - nook color cover nook color cover Nook Color Cover - nook color cover