Monday 14 March 2011

Garmin Nuvi 1450lmt - easy to use, garmin nuvi 1300


I just got my Tomtom VIA 1505TM yesterday, and having just got off the phone with the (easy to reach & very friendly & helpful) customer service here is what I wish I'd known before I bough this: it's still in Beta and isn't supported by a lot of Tomtom's infrastructure yet. For example, as of today (April 5th 2011) you aren't going to find it on most of the drop down menus on Tomtom's website or as an option on the phone menu when you call customer service. More seriously, it can't connect to Tomtom Home which is the software that allows you to do the fun things Tomtom offer like downloading voices or other doodads to your device. I was really looking forward to customizing my GPS with various voices and I'm sad I can't do that. I am assured that over the course of this year Tomtom will send updates to the VIA GPSes that will eventually allow them to join the party but for now there is very little support for this product. I think it's kind of weird to release a beta that has less functionality than the models it supersedes without clearly warning potential purchasers so I'm writing this review today. I also can't buy a carry case sized just to fit my VIA - which is a different shape to previous models because it attaches to my car using a different system. I'm told its a better system but since this is my first GPS I wouldn't know.



Hopefully by the end of the year (as I said, I'm writing this on April 5th 2011) this review will be obsolete but right now, if you purchase this GPS today, you will not be getting a fully supported device. I'm not happy at having been lured into Beta testing Tomtom's new product line, this is my first GPS and I paid $200 for it, I wanted a great experience right out of the box. As it is I'm just feeling a bit sad about the whole thing, and even the charming customer service hasn't made that go away.



The thing is, this is a really nice piece of engineering. It is super easy to set up and use. It works in a fundamentally different way to previous Tomtoms, and you can use it while it is plugged into your computer. A friend of mine has an earlier Tomtom and I know she gets frustrated at not being able to access her Tomtom while it is attached to her computer so that is a definite plus. I'm not complaining about the device itself, it is very cool. I'm told that this model is the future of Tomtom, and that in time it will do everything the other models do and more, but the fact is that it doesn't do that now, today, April 5th 2011.



So. Early adopters and devoted beta testers rejoice! This is definitely the Tomtom for you. Buy one and enjoy yourselves. But those of you who, like me, just want to get where you are going with a bit of fun along the way, and the least amount of hassle, might want to pick something else. TomTom VIA 1505M 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps

I bought this GPS right before my trip around the south western United States that encompasses Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colarado, New Mexico, Arizona (where I got a freakin speeding ticket by the cameras for doing 77!), and finally LA back to northern California. I planned my trip with the TomTom by setting the destinations as the state capitols.



Before the trip, I set up all the settings such as color and car icon (which I switched to Micky mouse) and the welcome and goodbye screens. The personalization is limitless with the Tomtom Home application you install on your computer, there you can update the firmware and maps (lifetime maps), also you can choose from thousands of screens and car icons, a very big plus. I changed the voice to a Indian accent, which cost a dollar or two but was hilarious.



Performance wise, I'd say is very on par with TomTom's reputation. Recalculations do not take more than 7-9 seconds, also satellite signal lock, while not instant, was much faster than any of my other friends GPS units. My only gripe is, whenever you exit the freeway or dont exit the freeway when you are supposed to, the unit can't sense it until the exit or stretch of freeway goes beyond the circle of triangulation. This problem I have seen on every single GPS unit I have seen or owned, even on the Lexus I used to drive that senses wheel turn. It's not a very big deal, but be aware that this is a very pervasive problem among GPS units.



The menu is very simple, with large icons that relate to its function. Typing is very easy, like texting on a smart phone that does not have physical keys, although if you have big fingers, you might mistype sometimes, not a deal breaker by any means, just type steady. Know that the 5 inch screen is comparatively big. The 1505 also comes with Voice recognition so you can just speak your destination.



The resolution is 480 by 272 pixel resolution. Its dimensions are 4.7 inches long by 3.1 inches wide 1 inch deep, and it weighs 6.5 ounces, not very large and can fit any pocket, cubby or glovebox.

You get two extra gigabytes of memory than the cheaper models: 4 GB. But, it doesn't have a SD card slot which really really sucks, but I guess 4GB will suffice.



Battery life, averaged, is about 2 hours, i found if you switch off voice guidance and lower the brightness, you get a little more. Thats not bad, as most trips i take are less than 2 hours, i really do not like having to plug in the cigarette adapter.



The 1505 comes with an integrated mounting feature like most TomToms, which is a really nice feature. Basically, your mount is connected to the back of your device, and you simply pull it out when you want to set up your TomTom on your dashboard.



You also receive a variety of other applications, including Map Share, IQ Routes and Advanced Lane Guidance. Map Share allows you to update your TomTom map as often as you like for free. This ensures that you always have the latest road information for free.



The IQ Routes application ensures you never get stuck in traffic. This feature actually downloads the latest traffic information to provide you with the shortest route to your destination. It doesn't just go by the posted speed limit of a road; it actually pulls up how fast cars are actually moving which is a real lifesaver, especially when I was going through LA. LA traffic especially along 101 is notorious and I was very very grateful that the 1505 actually sensed the traffic speed and gave me a short cut to ahead of where the traffic was. Like the Maps, the traffic feature is lifetime too, and it doesn't have ads like I have seen on some Garmin GPS units.



The Advanced Lane Guidance feature is for anyone who's ever missed a turn because they were in the wrong lane. This feature will visually show you how many lanes lead to which exit so you can be sure if your lane will work.



If you want a big screen and a pack of features, then the TomTom VIA 1505 is for you. The 1505 with the lifetime maps and traffic is pretty much standard fare, all you need in a GPS unit with lifetime road and map info, TomTom menu simplicity, and a huge screen; all for just 200. However the deal breaker for some might be that the 1505 doesn't have hands free, but that was fine for me, I have a bluetooth device on my stereo.



in the box:

- TomTom 1505TM

- Suction mount (to mount to window or dashboard pad)

- Dashboard pad (blastic circle that provides a stable surface for the suction mount)

- USB cable

- Cigarette adapter

- Set Up Guide

- 1 code, valid for Lifetime Map/Traffic updates



When i bought this 1505 model, i purchased the 1535 VIA as well for a friend who's birthday is coming up. It is basically the same exact thing as the 1505 but it has bluetooth handsfree for only like 20 bucks more. I didn't need that feature because my car already has bluetooth. We switched our units for like a week, and honestly, i could not tell it was hers except for the fact that she didn't download the Indian accent voice package on hers.



Side note, i recently clarified with my friend, she says the 1535 does have a SD card slot, so thats one more extra feature of the 1535 - Garmin Gps - Easy To Use - Garmin Nuvi 1300 - Garmin Nuvi'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Garmin Nuvi 1450lmt - easy to use, garmin nuvi 1300 garmin nuvi 1300 Garmin Nuvi 1450lmt - easy to use, garmin nuvi 1300