Monday 14 March 2011

Dvd Blank Media - tdk, dvd


You know? . . . I check out the discs in the stores and there must be two dozen makes, all about the same features, and ALL costing 5 to 10 times as much as these TDK Electronics disks. I use these for my own movies of family, sports, and travel. This is the third 100 lot size I have purchased, and NOT ONE FAILURE! So, why would I buy at the higher prices? Why would you? TDK 16X DVD+R 100PK Spindle

Update January, 2008.



As I note in some of the commentary, things can change a lot in two years. It's entirely possible that the "same product" that I had such bad experience with two years ago, is actually very different today. While I avoid TDK products because they burned me with poor quality, users seeking cost-effective and reliable media would probably be better off giving more weight to more recent reviews (which might better reflect whatever they are currently putting in this package) and/or a site that tracks media quality, such as http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm (although they don't seem to be updating that one any more), where among many other details you can find that TDK-branded packages have included media actually manufactured by TDK, CMC, Moser Baer, and Philips.



My original review follows. FYI, I have no interest in TDK or any other media mfr other than as a user.



------------------------



These disks are not made by TDK (they only make -R type) they are rebranded trash from CMC. I had 15% with obvious, naked-eye visible defects (delaminations and voids in the dye layer) and for the "good" ones needed to burn at a sluggish 4X to get a decent quality of burn. Having burned more than 1000 disks using various brands, I assure you - these are not a bargain, they are garbage. Unless, of course, you burn at slow speeds and don't ever use the outer 20% of a disk.



UPDATE [late 2006]: I have been re-reviewing the burn quality of the disks that I did use. I am now finding hundreds of thousands of parity errors on every TDK disk (vs a typical 2 to 4 thousand on good disks e.g. Sony). THESE ARE WITHOUT DOUBT THE WORST DVD MEDIA I HAVE EVER USED. ANYONE WHO ENTRUSTS THEIR DATA TO THIS GARBAGE IS DOOMED TO DISASTER IF THEY EXPECT TO BE ABLE TO READ THE DATA IN AS LITTLE AS A YEAR OR TWO.

Due to limitations with my computer system, burning dvds at 16X speeds often result in bad uncompleted dvds if the blanks are not of the highest quality (that includes Memorex). I usually burn at 4X and 8X in order to not create so many useless coasters. Decided to try a few of these at 16X - WOW not a single mistake yet. I'm back down to 8X with these, no use taking chances. Am impressed with the quality and better thickness and stiffness of this brand of blank dvd+r discs so far. Only downside to 100-count spindles is that they are heavier than 50-count spindles without any extra case strength.

You offered FREE SHIPPING and an excellent price for these blank DVDs, which I have already been using for more than a year, and are in my opinion the BEST DVDs on the market! But you failed on the packaging! Your warehouse people put the heavy spindle pack of 100 disks into a box that didn't match the shape, then padded it with lightweight, vulnerable air bags. First thing that happened during shipping was that the spindle pack, rolling back and forth inside the box, burst all four air bags, leaving only a few small empty plastic envelopes in an otherwise empty carton, with the spindle pack still rolling back and forth, or bouncing up and down. Miraculously, none of the blank DVDs was damaged during their wild ride. I not only recommend, but URGE your shipping people to use WADDED PAPER instead of these air bags for such heavy objects!!!

I purchased 2 spindles about a few weeks apart. I bought the 2nd spindle as I was getting close to half of the 1st one - all looked good. But then about 60% of the way into the spindle I started finding clearly defective disks - rough edges on the recoding side (like glue was spilled on the spindle edge) sometimes actually going into the recoding area - a problem if you plan to record a lot of data and will need the area close to the outer edge of the disk. I was able to use many of the disks and they seemed to work fine, but you have to check every disks in bright light to see if it's ok before you use it. Also in the second spindle some disks have uneven coating with something looking like a scratch going from the center of the disks to the edge in straigh lines - they are not scratches though but just uncoated "lines". I did not use those defective disks, but I am pretty sure that would have been a problem as it affected most of the recordable area - not just the outer part as the "roghh edges" problem.



Also note that it is just the name "TDK" - the disk are actually made by Imation Corp.(says so in small print on the packaging) - I did not have a good experience with Imation disks on my PC in the past either - they are somewhat low quality just like these "TDK" disks. So here TDK makes money because their name is used and Imation makes money because even if you would not buy Imation Corp. disks - you might buy them labeled as "TDK" (thinking you are buyng something made by TDK). Both companies make money (by a deceiving branding method - TDK never made these!) and you pay for one thing (TDK) and get another (Imation). They sould be labelled as Imation - if you do not care if it's TDK or Imation you will buy them anyway - the price is low. But if you care and would buy TDK but not Imation - then both companies are making money by deceving you! - Dvd Media - Spindle - Tdk - Dvd'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information