Thursday 17 February 2011

Three-wheeled Scooters - first scooter, kick scooter


This scooter is simply the best one out there - because the 2 wheels are in the front, they don't get in the way of the kids trying kicking off with their feet. And because to turn, they have to lean vs steer, I feel it is safer as it tends to just go straight. As the kids improve, they figure out how to turn, but that's what's so good, they do it at their own pace. Even though this scooter says it's for age 3, we bought it for my son's 2nd birthday because he tried someone else's and shocked us by being able to ride it well. He had tried those other 3-wheeled scooters with the 2 wheels in the back and couldn't really ride them - the design of this one is just so superior. He absolutely LOVES LOVES LOVES it and just about every day, people ask how old he is and they are shocked, they say they can't believe how well a 2-year-old can ride a scooter. But it's not him, it's this scooter! Don't waste your money on the cheap "cartoony" scooters, just get one of these, your kids will be zipping around in minutes! Mini kick Scooter - PINK, for kids age 3-5. Winner of the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Gold and Platinum Best Toy Award Seals - ALSO available in new Yellow, Green, Aqua, Orange and Blue

I was considering purchasing this for my 5 year girl but when I saw the weight restriction of 44 lbs, I was hesitant thinking she would outgrow it within the next year.



However, after checking out the manufacturers website, I found this when has now made me decide to purchase this safer looking scooter than others for my little girl:



"* The mini scooter is designed with a weight recommendation of 70lbs. Please note that the bottom of the scooter shows a weight limit of 20kg, which is 44 lbs. The reason for the discrepancy is that European standards dictate that weights are displayed only in increments of 20, 50 and 100kg."

My twins just turned 3, and after seeing some kids at the park riding around on Spiderman and Radio Flyer 3-wheel scooters, the constant refrain from both of them was, "let's get a scooter!!" I researched a TON and was leaning toward the Razor Jr., but after reading the reviews that it was just too slow for some kids, and that all the child could do was push push push, I decided not to take a chance on it. Then I saw this scooter and it sounded great. I called the company, Kickboard USA to clarify the weight issue, and was told that it goes up to about 60 lbs. Okay, great. I also asked if they thought my son, who is a little behind in motor skills, would be able to manage this scooter, and after much discussion (great customer service!), I decided to buy two of these and give them a whirl. I bought blue for my son, and I knew my daughter would want pink. Also ordered two Bell helmets. Amazon shipped both right away.



Needless to say, the morning of their birthday when they opened the back door and saw two new scooters with helmets dangling from the handlebars, they were GIDDY! They both jumped on and it was slow-going and a bit awkward at first. These scooters can go fast - the kids seemed to intuitively know this, though, and took things cautiously. They didn't understand the steering concept - yet. But after an hour or so, they felt more confident and were pushing along. They'd raise their foot up for a second and then put it back on the ground and push some more. They were having a great time.



This scooter is lower to the ground than any I've seen, which makes it easy for the kids to ride. The two wheels in front make for great stability and maneuvering. Fast forward to about 2 weeks into using these scooters and both kids enjoy them a lot, but especially my son. He's a scooter fanatic! He has gotten so good at riding it and the steering just came naturally when he realized that as he leaned, it would gently turn in the direction of the lean. The brake is a great feature, but so far my kids don't really get the concept of it. They just put their foot down or sort of "hop off." I imagine as they get older and more proficient, they'll get the groove of the brake. My son now zips around with all the bigger kids at the park. The Razor Jr. and Spiderman scooter kids are envious and slower. I imagine it won't be long until they're bored with their scooters and want to graduate onto something better. I don't have that worry with these scooters. They look cool, which the kids love; they aren't "baby looking" at all. I was also so happy not to have to buy something with a television character on it!



These scooters are built to last from what I can tell. They come with some cool stickers, too. I cannot tell you HOW MANY parents have seen my kids on their scooters and sidled up to us to ask about them. Yes, they are more expensive, but for the longevity my kids will get out of them, and the peace of mind I have that they're probably the safest scooters out there for preschoolers, it was WELL worth the cost. Neither of my kids has had anything other than a minor tumble on them so far, but you know, I expect that. Kids are gonna fall. They always wear their helmets - it's a non-negotiable rule - and so far they actually think their helmets are cool (got two of the Bell Bellino Toddler helmets - love them!).



Caution: I would advise parents, however, not to let your kids ride these scooters on sidewalks or other areas where they might get away from you and risk danger. Also stay away from paved paths with inclines and dips. As I said above, these scooters can get going, even with the kids just pushing off with the foot and not fully "riding" it, and I have to hustle to keep up with my kids. We only let them ride these scooters in enclosed parks with paved paths or the cement area of our back yard.



Bottom line: If you are looking for a scooter your preschooler will LOVE, will last a good long time, and something sturdy and safe, this is the scooter. :-) - Three-wheeled Scooters - First Scooter - Kick Scooter - Scooter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information