Thursday 17 February 2011

Secure Digital - sd card, memory card


i have a new Canon XSI and i have bought this product i have shot about a 1000 shots (for 4 days) in the desert and i didn't have access to a computer then when i went home i have had lost the first ~100 shots the computer and camera were unable to view those images...



i formatted the card with the camera once and with my reader once and i have the same result Transcend 16 GB Class 6 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS16GSDHC6

I have purchased three of these 16GB SDHC cards, two of which I have had to return due to problems reading them. The one good one is excellent though - nice and quick and works well in my PS3, camera and laptop.



I suggest that if you do order a Transcend 16GB card, you thoroughly test it as soon as you get it. I'd suggest trying it in all the devices it may need to work in and also doing a surface scan with something like chkdsk (use the /f /r options). If it has any bad sectors, send it right back as it will probably be unreliable.

Once upon a time, I was looking to get a larger SD card. 16GB for $40? Why not? I might not use all of it, but better more than less. Following that train of thought, I looked for the fastest 16GB card in the range. Transcend. An established company wouldn't put out a lemon, would it? The 100 or so one star reviews were tempered by the 500 five star ones. I was feeling lucky, so to speak. Unfortunately, I was not (mostly). A week into college, it decided to brick up on me, right after a beach party event. To its credit, I had taken more than 1000 pictures with it over about three weeks. Still, $40 down the drain. I will never trust Transcend again, thus making the warranty useless.



Now, my point. If you're looking at the ratings, 1/6 of the reviews are one star, for one reason or another. Most likely, you will be part of the group that has no problems. This card was EXTREMELY fast. HDTune got 17-20 mb/s consistently. It had more space than I could have ever filled. For those lucky people, this card is ideal. For the minority, this card will be hell. It has more space than you could fill over a two week cruise, before destroying every one of the pictures. Personally, I count myself lucky in that respect. All that was lost was a sunset event. But think: do you want to take that gamble with your precious memories? Do you?

I've been using Transcend brand SD cards for a couple years now and have been very happy with them. There have been many tests of SD cards in MP3 players and the Transcend cards usually allow the MP3 players to load much faster than other cards. I wish I had ordered the other Transcend package though because it's the same price as this card but comes with a mini card reader.

Ordered three of these memory cards which were used in three separate devices (digital camcorder, DSLR, laptop). All three cards died within a week of usage. Lost all my videos and photos. Amazon + ButterflyPhoto refused to compensate for or replace the defective cards! BUYER BEWARE!

Storage space on this card is 16GB as advertised, but it is definitely not Class 6 as advertised and priced. This card has a max write speed of 4.2 MB/s with an average of 4.0 MB/s which is a Class 4 SD card, NOT a Class 6. Ripped off.



If you need a 16GB but not the speed, then find the cheaper priced version marked as Class 4. If you need the 16GB plus the Class 6 speed, then look elsewhere.

I recently purchased Canon T1i DSLR along with SanDisk 4GB Extreme III - SDHC Class 6 High Performance memory card (SDSDX3-004G-P31, Retail Packaging) - NEW 30MB/s version. Looking back, I think I should have ordered higher capacity card. I prefer shooting in RAW mode, which requires more storage than Jpeg images. Each RAW image is about 20MB. A 4 GB card holds about 250-300 images. On a outdoor trip, usually I end up shooting 400-500 images, causes me to replace card in the middle of shoot. To avoid running in "Card full" errors, I wanted to buy higher capacity card this time.

Transcend 16GB card seemed really good choice for second card. 16 GB class 6 performance and attractive price tag, I was very interested in buying it. There was $10 difference between SanDisk 4GB and Transcend 16GB card. Both of them were class 6 cards and I thought it should be ok. Amazon reviews were good for both of the cards.



Finally I received the Transcend card today and first thing I noticed, speed! SanDisk is way faster than Transcend!



I did setup a simple test to measure the speed of both cards.



Canon 500 D (T1i) + Canon 50mm 1.8 lens in Manual Focus mode + 1/50 sec exposure + Continuous shooting mode + f1.8



I took 15 photos with each card. Manual focus was used to avoid any focusing delays. I was just interested in knowing the speed of card operation. Results were as following:



SanDisk - 15 photos - Camera started taking pause after 9 shots - Total time required to finish writing 15 images was 20 seconds.

Transcend - 15 photos - Camera started taking pause after 8 shots - Total time required to finish writing 15 images was 39 seconds.



The speed of SanDisk was almost double compared to Transcend.

If you are tight on budget and capacity is main concern then you should buy Transcend. If you are looking for fast memory cards, then look something else.

Hope this helps. - Memory Card - Sdhc - Digital Camera Accessory - Sd Card'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information