Monday 10 January 2011

Swingline - cross cut shredder, shredder


I purchased this for our small office group of two people to replace an aging Fellowes traditional style cross cut shredder that munched mounds of paper quickly and efficiently for the last 5 or 6 years. This shredder was returned to the seller because it is only good in concept. The unit is not at all quiet. Paper loads inside with ease, but the rollers inside the unit often miss the paper stack and shuts off and you have to reopen and reposition the paper to get it to start shredding. The top of the unit has a slot that allows you to feed in a few sheets at a time if you do not have a big stack, but this is virtually useless. The slot you have to shove the paper in is partially covered and the slot is beneath this cover at an odd angle (probably for safety to keep out ties, etc) and it is virtually the exact width of a piece of paper so you constantly have to fumble with the page to get it in. The unit is also slow. It literally shreds one page at a time inside. We used it for 1 week, became frustrated with it, and returned it. Perhaps for a home unit or very light office shredder this would work ok, but I think there are a lot of other products that are a fraction of the cost that will do much better for the small jobs. If you are going to be shredding 100+ documents spend a bit more and go with a regular shredder, you will be much happier. The little bit of time saved with this unit is lost on reopening and closing the unit to get it to work and the fumbling with the top shredder on single sheets. Swingline Stack-and-Shred Automatic Shredder (EX100-07)

This shredder is definitely NOT worth the money even at a discounted price. Being able to stack multiple sheets of paper into the bin and walk away is a great concept but frequently the machine either didn't shred any of the stack or only shred part of the stack. Fanning the papers helped sometimes but not always. Along with not shredding, this machine jammed frequently (from the bin). The single sheet slot is poorly designed; to shed individual sheets required the sheet to be inserted almost 3/4th of its length before it engaged the cutting heads. After struggling with the Stack-and-Shred for three (3) hours I packed it up and returned it for another brand. Save your money.

I just bought this as Office Depot since it was on sale and I had a coupon... so I got it for a really good price. I just got it for home use, so I wasn't sure if I would like it...but I love it.



The good:

- Put a stack of paper in and walk away. No need to feed a few sheets at a time... but if you want to, it says you can feed 6 at a time - but it seems kind of slow that way to me.

- It has all the standard features of shredding credit cards and small staples, everything you would expect from a shredder (but not CD's). Just use common sense.

- What I LOVE is that I just threw a bunch of receipts into the hopper and it gobbled them right up. I went thru a bag of receipts that I had saved up to shred and it only took a

few minutes. I had a big bag because it is such a pain with a regular shredder, but this was really easy. Don't know if you're supposed to use it like that, but it works great!

- Not too big, about 12" wide by about 17" deep and about 17" high.

- Seems to be good quality, heavy duty.

The bad:

- No wheels or rubber feet or anything on the bottom...just sits there on the floor.

- Does not shred CDs.

- Not the fastest shredder, but you can put stack of paper in and leave it.



I've only had it for a day, but so far I'm really happy with my purchase. I don't think I would have purchased it for the full price, but for the price I got it for ($120), I LOVE it!

I hate shredding as a rule, so when I found the swingline automatic shredder I just had to have it. I have put it through quite a bit of use for just having it one day and I must say that except for the occasional re-shifting so that the shredder feeds the papers, the machine is definitely worth the price. I am used to the mess that shredding creates and have not found this shredder to be any different and you just have to keep the vacuum sweeper handy to pick up what the bin doesn't get. Overall, I am quite pleased with this product, but I will definitely come back and review the product once I have had it a month or so. - Shredder - Paper Shredder - Cross Cut Shredder - Shredders'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information