Monday 10 January 2011

Makeup Brush Set - eyeshadow kit, makeup brushes


Let me begin by saying that I have used everything from top of the line brushes to generic brushes. The price of this brush set is about the average cost of a single brush that I usually purchase.



The brush set arrived 4 days after I purchased it which was a big plus for me. I opened the package and was surprised at how big the set actually was. Since I am a poor college student, I know I have to make these brushes last since I no longer can splurge on a powder brush. I took off the plastic wrap and I could smell the vinyl 20 feet away. Big minus since it made the brushes smell funny. (I HIGHLY doubt that the make-up roll is leather) Each brush comes individually wrapped which was another plus for me. I took off each wrapper and that's when I got disappointed. Some of the brushes were fine, but others just looked pathetic. The bristles we're all over the place and super stringy. The small fan brush made me want to cry a little. The hair on the brush looked like the hair of a cheap hooker who had just been gang banged for a few hours. I honestly didn't think it was salvageable. Even though I was bummed, I continued to unwrap each brush and wash EVERY BRUSH in warm water. I suggest everyone do that because the brushes do bleed, especially the large black fan brush. I used warm water and an olive oil shampoo. I laid them all flat and let them dry over night on a towel. I woke up in the morning and some of the brushes still looked pretty bad. *Almost all of the concealer brushes looked pretty good, I'm taking about the hair brushes such as the shadow brushes and powder brushes* As for softness, it wasn't that great either. I still couldn't figure out how to make stray away hairs stay put.



After much googling, I came across this miracle product called Mona Lisa Brush Shaper ([...]) and I decided to go to Hobby Lobby and try it out. You can find the stuff in the painting aisles, and yes it is safe to use the brushes afterwards. The brush shaper does not irritate even the most sensitive of skins like mine. I laid the brushes out and re washed them (this time using Johnson Baby Shampoo) and let them dry again over night. The next day (day 3), I used the brush shaper. You can youtube how to use it. After I finished shaping them all, I let them dry again over night. *The only brush I did not shape was the large fan brush, but make sure you wash it at least twice because I does bleed a lot) On day 4 the brushes looked fantastic and felt so soft after I played with the bristles a bit except for the 4 largest brushes (minus the large fan brush). The brush shaper helped but didn't work miracles on the larger brushes. I washed the 4 largest brushes again and let them dry over night. On day 5 I called one of my friends who works at M.A.C and she helped me out a bit. When they dry completely *and I mean COMPLETELY* turn on a flat iron to about half way and go over the brushes a few times. This will only work if you have the plastic brush cover that came on the brushes. *Only the big powder brushes came with it which is perfect* While the brushes are still warm, put the cover back on the brush. Do this for the Large, Medium and Small powder brush and the contour brush. After I let the brushes stay like that over night, they were shaped pretty darn good and the constant washing and heat left the brushes SOOOOOOO SOFT!



I know it sounds like I went through hell and back to get this brush set to work but at $32, come on. If you're willing to put in some elbow grease and make these brushes work for you, I can promise you they will last a pretty decent time if you take care of them. Think of these brushes as Egyptian cotton sheets ... the more you wash and work them, the softer they get :]





***Just some end notes***



-Over all, I would suggest this set to a friend who I know would take the time to get them to their potential or a person who just doesn't care about make-up brushes.



-The case DOES smell. I took out all of my brushes, rubbed it down with Alcohol and let it air out will and continue airing it out until the smell goes away, which it almost has.



-Down side is that there is no large foundation brush







Hope my review helped out! Bundle Monster 34pc Studio Pro Makeup Make Up Cosmetic Brush Set Kit w/ Leather Case - For Eye Shadow, Blush, Concealer, Etc

Makeup has been a hobby of mine for a while now; though I'm not a makeup artist, I know a good brush from a bad one. So let's go through my list of CONS:



1. They smell --even though I have washed them a couple times now, I still can't shake that "plastic" smell... *shrugs*

2. The hairs fall out so easily (especially the face brushes) --after I'm done putting on my makeup I'll have to... brush?...the brush hairs off my face! It's so bad that I could probably put a fake mustache together.

3. The brushes are not soft at all --I took the advice of one of the other reviewers and washed them with that baby shampoo, but after that it just smelled like a wet, plastic, baby (not good!).. OH! and I also straightened the face brushes with my straightener.. did not really make a difference.



Well, okay, if you're just beginning to get into makeup (which is, let me warn you, ADDICTING!) then this MIGHT be something you can practice with. But if I could give you some advice... go to target and get the Sonia Kashuk brush set for like $20, it's a lot better.



Yeah, I feel less than dumb for buying this set, but what am I gonna do? I don't want to return it because I do like ONE brush, haha. the part that made me buy it is: #1 the price (34 brushes for $32 is a pretty good deal) and #2 it was so convenient that all these different brushes came in one little package. By the way, be careful with the big, fat fan brush --the color bleeds... A LOT and the little skinny baby one is pointless because it's made up of like 8 tiny hairs that fall out anyway. Oh, and why would someone need like 10 concealer brushes? weird. Umm.. so yeah, I hope my review helped at least one person...



Thanks for reading my looong review! :) - Eyeshadow Kit - Makeup Brushes - Gift Idea - Makeup Brush'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Makeup Brush Set - eyeshadow kit, makeup brushes makeup brushes Makeup Brush Set - eyeshadow kit, makeup brushes