Sunday 30 January 2011

Leather Kindle Cover - leather kindle cover, kindle 2 leather cover


My Kindle 2 and cover arrived today.



The cover clips on easily and securely. The Kindle has two small slots on the left side. Two clips on the cover latch into these slots. You can slide the top clip down to unlatch and release the Kindle. All the Kindle controls remain accessible with the cover on. (Unlike Kindle 1, the Kindle 2 on-off switch is on top.) It all seems well designed.



I bought the cover mostly to protect the Kindle when I'm traveling. And indeed, the cover front and back are both tough and well padded, with a soft felt lining, and look like they should provide good protection. The overall appearance is reasonably elegant.



The Kindle+cover total about 0.75" thickness. So the cover is roughly doubling the Kindle's natural 0.36" thickness. But since I want protective padding, this seems like a price I need to pay!



Overall this seems like an enormous improvement over the awkward Kindle 1 cover. Kindle Leather Cover (Fits 6" Display, 2nd Generation Kindle)

This cover is the basic model for the new Kindle 2. The hooks fit well into the Kindle, and they make it seem secure within the case. Unfortunately, there isn't a strap of some kind to hold the case closed. The construction of the cover does not seem to be of great quality - it's almost like they were rushed. I have a original Kindle as well, and the default cover for that seems to be a more secure and safe solution than this basic cover for the Kindle 2.



I'll use this cover for my Kindle 2 for now because I like to have a cover that makes the Kindle seem like a physical book - I don't fold it out of the way. However, if they come out with a more substantial cover with a strap that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I will likely switch to that in the future.

Likes:



- Doesn't add bulk to the Kindle 2

- Fastening hinges keep the Kindle 2 secure

- Inexpensve



Dislikes:



- No fastener or latch to keep the cover closed

- Feels a bit cheap



So basically you get what you pay for with this item. It is thin and secure and will keep your Kindle 2 protected. I like that the fastening hinges keep it secure and it's flexible enough to turn the cover over and read it one-handed (I've included a picture in the user provided images).



My only real qualm is that it doesn't have a latch or fastener to keep it closed. The cover fits the Kindle 2 well enough that it lies flat on the device but I worry a bit about it shuffling around in my purse or suitcase and something making it's way to my Kindle 2.



For the price, I think this is well worth the money. I am unwilling to drop 1/3 of the price of the Kindle 2 on a cover and as my only purpose n the cover is transportation I am unlikely to go searching for another one.

The hinges caused two large cracks in my kindle. At first I couldn't determine how my kindle got cracked without being dropped. Upon close review I realized that the cracks were sharp and coming from under the front of the kindle case. Both cracks originated above the hinges of the cover. I called cs and they sent me a new kimdle overnight. I ordered the belkin cover for $5 less and couldn't be happier.

The Kindle stayed in it's leather case, but the point at which the two small metal pegs attached to the unreinforced plastic caused a fracture which got worse until the $360 kindle was useless. Amazon "customer service" says it's no design flaw and will only repair it for $200!



What a rip-off!

After 3 months my Kindle2 developed two cracks, each emanating from the points along the left edge where the Kindle2 attaches to this cover. A Customer Support rep informed me that I caused these cracks by placing my fingers between the back of the Kindle2 and the back of the cover while reading. This is a very natural thing to do, in my opinion, as it makes holding the Kindle2 easier.



I suggested to the CS rep that the cover should come with some means of attaching the back of the the Kindle2 to the back flap of the cover. He told me that he uses a piece of velcro tape for this purpose on his personal Kindle2. Wish I had known!



Amazon should redesign this cover or the attachment points on the Kindle2. Alternatively, the cover should be shipped with velcro tape and instructions. At a minimum, Amazon should alert the user to this potential problem.

My K2 cover is beautiful. It's sleek, black and leather. It does not look cheap at all. It was easy for me to put my K2 in the case and I have not had any problems with it coming unhinged from the cover. The cover easily bends back allowing me to comfortably read in bed and move around to get comfy. It doesn't hinder me from using my K2 or any functions at all. It actually looks like a leather journal, very chic. If anything changes, I will update my review. - Leather Kindle Cover - Kindle - Kindle 2 Leather Cover - Kindle 2 Case'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Leather Kindle Cover - leather kindle cover, kindle 2 leather cover leather kindle cover Leather Kindle Cover - leather kindle cover, kindle 2 leather cover