Sunday 30 January 2011

Disposable - pilot, varsity


I write mostly with a fountain pen. I appreciate the fact that you can write with the lightest of touch with these pens, and yet have a strong line, even when writing quickly. They seem to have a reasonably long life of use, and fortunately are inexpensive enough to have one not worry about losing them. So far, I have used these pens for about a year, and have not had a leak. They also don't dry up easily, so that you don't have to scribble a little bit to get them writing again if you had a pause in your writing. They are definitely a value for the price you pay for them. Pilot Varsity Disposable Fountain Pens, Black Ink Dozen Box, 90010

My primary reason to use a fountain pen over a ball/roller point is the smoothness offered. I was looking for something that would offer the benefits of one without having to deal with the hassle of refilling from a bottle and the possible leaks in most (even high-end) fountain pens. This Pilot Varsity disposable pen with a sealed barrel seemed like the optimal solution, so I decided to try it out.



Here are my observations:



(1) Clean fountain pen: I love the convenience of not having to fill it with ink (although, it can be done - just google for 'pilot varsity refill')



(2) Weight: the pen is very light, this may or may not be an advantage, it was good for me since I plan on carrying this pen with me at all times. I usually keep a heavier pen at my desk as I find that helps with not having to apply any pressure while writing



(3) The price is right: as a pen I hope to carry around often I won't feel bad if I lose or permanently 'lend' it to someone; also most refilling inks cost a lot more!



(4) Nib/writing: although the ink flow itself is consistent and smooth (as other users have also observed), the writing is anything but - it is a scratchy writer at best! The nib is marked M (for Medium) but is writes more like a fine point. Coming from a ballpoint/BIC pen this may still feel great to you but if you've used a real fountain pen you'll know what I mean.



(5) Ink: the ink is a nice blunt, dark black that does a decent job even on bad paper, although it does show though on the other side of the page on most ordinary paper (which is what I use for writing). So, you'll need thick, good quality paper if you want to write on both sides.



Summarizing, the underwhelming writing performance meant this isn't the pen for me, this is not surprising considering the price point. However, if you really like a thin line to write (or even draw with), then this pen should be fine for you.



I suggest going to your local crafts or office supply store and buying a single pen (which is what I did) before investing in a multi-pack here at Amazon. I will be trying out a few other pens to find out what works best for me, you can look those up in my "See all my reviews" link above.

This is the second box of Pilot Varsity Pens I've purchased. The first box 'lasted' about a year -- which is to say that about a year passed before the box was empty. I only recall throwing two of them away because the ink was depleted, so I imagine that there are 10 more scattered in pockets, purses, cars, desk drawers, etc. These really do the trick if you are looking for fountain pen you don't have to worry about losing. They write easily and reliably. Though the nib is listed as medium, I am a lifelong fine point user, and I do not cringe when I see my handwriting. I love beautiful pens more than I will ever love jewelry, and have a treasured collection -- but sometimes I just want utility. My handwriting is all but illegible with a ball point pen, and the variety of gel pens, roller balls, etc. that I've tried as a compromise just never seem to work the way I want. (And certainly cost at least a much as these.) These fit the bill perfectly.

These pens are GREAT! I recently paid $60 for a brand name fountain pen and try as I might I can't get the #@$&* thing to write worth a dang. I saw these disposable fountain pens on the net and thought "if a $60 pen won't write, how good could these be?" Man, was I surprised! These pens write the first time every time. You don't have to coax it to start writing, it works as soon as it hits paper. The ink lasts a long time. I use these at work all the time now because they are so reliable. I buy them by the dozen and end up giving some of them away to interested co-workers. Thanks a million Pilot!

I found these pens a few years ago and absolutely love them! Unlike my fine fountain pens, when the nib wears out, you just throw the pen away and grab a new one from the box! They write GREAT and last about 3-4 months with daily office use. They never leak either, and I fly with them all the time. Oh, and believe it or not, I get more compliments on this pen than any other in my collection. Only problem. - I end up giving a lot of them away to admirers.

For the money, the best pen in the world. So much fun to write with. Makes me want to buy some nice paper and handwrite something rather than type it on the computer. Buy one--or more--and you will see, too. --The Missouri Kid

Other reviewers have commented on the quality of these pens as compared to expensive traditional fountains, but for me the move was from disposable rollerballs. The difference is amazing; these pens have a great semi-fine line, feel great in the hand, and write more smoothly than any rollerball I've ever used. I'll never go back.

Do be sure to buy these in quantity, however -- they tend to disappear once your coworkers and friends discover them!

The low rating is mainly for the fact that the lines aren't that clean. When I write (on various paper types), the ink soaks into the paper a bit, making wider lines with rougher edges than I like. My favorite pen, the Staedtler liquid point 7, does a much better job, despite the fact that it also writes very wet.



To be fair, this is a fountain pen, and a disposable one at that. As other reviewers have said, the body design is pretty ugly, but for the price it's great. I haven't had a problem with the ink flow at all, and there's not much else to say about a pen. I bought a six-pack, and I will continue using them, but I wouldn't buy these again. - Fountain Pens - Fountain Pen - Pilot - Varsity'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Disposable - pilot, varsity fountain pens Disposable - pilot, varsity