Wednesday 19 January 2011

Cordless Drill - ergonomic, right-angle drills


I have had many opportunities to use this drill to access tight quarters and the flexibility afforded by the rotating base makes it easy to use in places where my normal drill won't work. It has a lot of torque and I have been very happy with the battery life (although I do have two batteries that I keep in rotation.) There a few things you should be aware of: 1-it can be quite difficult to apply downward pressure on the bits in tight places, so although this right angle drill will get you in there, sometimes you need a third hand to apply pressure behind the drill head to get good penetration; 2-invest in some short bits when you buy this, as many times the normal length drill bit will cause you to not have enough space; and 3- there is no clutch on this drill, so driving screws is a bit tricky: it has a lot of torque and it is extremely difficult to moderate drill speed with the trigger. I have nearly stripped many screws and once even stripped my phillips driver. Ryobi 18V One+ Right Angle ''Close Quarters'' Drill P240

I have used this drill a number of times going through studs in the basement and in walls in order to drill for electrical wire installation. The major gripe I have is that the chuck is very difficult to work when removing a drill bit. It does not have a key and there is not much room for 2 hands - one to hold and the other to unscrew. I have had to use pliers a number of times just to remove a bit.

Out of all the Ryobi tools I own and use -- two drills/drivers, two saws, two vacs, stapler and two lights -- the right angle / close quarters drill gets the most use. Probably because this is the one tool I don't have a corded counterpart for (not for lack of want!), but also because it's finished the job in every situation.



Invaluable for drilling holes in closely spaced studs and joists, I've driven up to 3" hole saws with it. While those large cuts test the limits and battery capacity of this tool, I haven't yet had to break down and buy a corded version.



At another review has pointed out, the chuck is difficult to operate when tight. I simply grab the chuck (wearing gloves) and squeeze the trigger, and it loosens up every time. The bigger problem is perhaps the chuck loosening up, though I can use a similar "grip and squeeze" method to tighten it securely.



The base / battery holder rotates to provide additional room where it's needed for working in really confined spaces. Battery run-time seems generally on par with the other Ryobi drills I own.



Note that this drill does not have a driver mode, i.e. no low speed switch or adjustable clutch, so when used for driving screws it's likely you'll strip a few heads. It's difficult to apply the requisite amount of pressure to the head and precisely control the motor speed, especially on phillips head fasteners. However, it's worth noting that this drill has the necessary torque to drive everything I've thrown at it.



Accessories that I regularly use hand-in-hand with this are Irwin 6" Irwin #90106 6"Quick Chuck Extensionand 3" extensions, Bosch quick release hole saws Bosch HB25M Bi-metal 25-Piece Hole Saw Master Set and Bosch's quick load chuck Bosch CC2100 Clic-Change 5-Piece Screwdriver Bit Assortment with Clic-Change Chuck. - Ergonomic - Cordless Drill - Right-angle Drills'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Cordless Drill - ergonomic, right-angle drills ergonomic Cordless Drill - ergonomic, right-angle drills