Monday 13 December 2010

Motion-activate - motion sensor, led light


Wow...what an awesome little light! After finding a number of similar lights on the web with "so-so" reviews I stumbled across this one. Reviews were pretty good and not too expensive so I decided to take a chance. Turns out this is a great light. It's well made, has 4 D-size batteries which are easy to replace, it looks good, very easy to mount (2 screws) and tilts and rotates. No...it doesn't turn night into day but it provides more than enough light when coming home after dark. The motion sensor is very sensitive and has a fairly wide detection angle. I have my light mounted near my front door and pointed straight at the door handle but when my foot hits my front steps the light comes on. The light does not come on in daytime like some of the other lights I saw so you don't waste the batteries during the daytime. The manufacturer claims that alkaline batteries will last up to 3 years but if they last just one year I will be more than satisfied. The light has a couple of duration settings so I'm sure the 3 year battery life is based on a limited number of the shortest light duration setting. Dorcy 41-1071 LED Wireless Motion Sensor Flood-Lite

I live "in the middle of no-where" on the Big Island of Hawaii where you cannot see your hand in front of your face at night sometimes! I'm off-grid and wiring lights is a big deal. The bedroom is about 75 feet from the rest of the house so I installed it in the pathway pointing toward the kitchen. I used the template included in the box to locate the 2 screws, installed 3 rechargeable D batteries, set the light switches to bright and to stay on 2 minutes and waited until dark.



Holy Canoly, it lit the entire pathway plus easily 30 to 40 feet on either side of the path. I absolutely LOVE this light! I can envision using this light all over my one acre property outside as well as some areas inside. I think I'll place one above my headboard so that if I hear a noise, the entire bedroom will be lit inside; no more reaching for the flashlight! Maybe above the toilet! Since I'll definitely be ordering more, I'm seriously thinking I'll be using one as a flashlight. A SUPER flashlight for sure! omg...I love this light and for $20 you just can't beat it! Thank you Dorcy and Amazon.

I purchased two of these lights as they look identical to another name branded light on Amazon which I loved so I decided to try it as it was more affordable. The unit is almost identical in fit and function to another light on Amazon and it was a breeze to set up. The light is very white and fairly bright for a cordless variant. It's not going to be as bright as a 110 volt motion floodlight but it is perfect for those dark sides of our house where no outlet or light is present to hook up a motion sensing floodlight. The sensitivity is very good and they seem well built. I actually dropped one from about 10 feet while trying to install it and aside from a few scratches, it was fine. I did have to downgrade one star as one of the two units I purchased had a broken nut to connect the base to the light...maybe from shipping? Anyhow, it was a fairly easy fix using my own small nut & bolt so I didn't have to deal with a return and delays. Overall I have recommended this light to others who need a motion light wherea cordless light is ideal.

The other night my wife and I were quietly talking in one of the usually unused back bedrooms around 9:30 PM when we heard the distinct tone of a cell phone right outside the french door! It is a shock to discover how easily your space, your life, can be invaded. That only happens to other people, in bad neighborhoods!



I immediately started looking at motion triggered lights on Amazon hoping the technology has improved in the ten years since I bought and laboriously installed two different lights with totally unsatisfactory results. The Dorcy, especially at the relatively low cost, had good ratings here so, I ordered one from Amazon. It is a nice size and looks nice. Set up was absurdly easy, especially compared to the expensive wired-in units. I mounted it temporarily then set out to test it at night. The detection is spot on from the sides I would expect an intruder. As others have stated, the light is startlingly, surprisingly bright! If I were an intruder hit by it, I would certainly take off. I'll update this review after 6 months use.



EDIT



I wouldn't change my previous review. Still very satisfied. And the batteries are still going after 6 months.

The sensor works when it wants, I first installed it and it worked perfectly, next day

didnt work at all, so I took it down and put right next to my body and then it worked

I have a very dark driveway no porch light and walked right up to it, DIDNT WORK!!!!

Call me crazy but I am gonna try another, will see what happens, will keep you informed



WEEK LATER/ got a new one!

so far so good, happy this one works

I just received the 2 Dorcy LED wireless motion-sensor floodlights I ordered from Amazon last week. They arrived in an extremely timely fashion, as always!



I needed the floodlights to light up a dark, treacherous area on the lower area of the front steps that go down a steep hill to the street in front of my home. I also wanted the area around my car lit as well. It not only helps with parallel parking on a dark street at night, but also helps to deter car break-ins.



I wanted a battery-powered light, because in addition to having no electricity down where I wanted to mount the lights, the entire North-facing front yard is in the shade from about October to March, so solar is weak, at best, in the winter.



These lights were much better than I expected. There are 2 settings for both brightness, and length of time the light is on. Choosing the lower settings lengthens battery life. The light is so bright, even on the lower setting, that I really could have gotten by with just one light instead of two. It throws off a wide, bright swath of bluish-white light, and those steps and the street below are now much, much brighter and safer.



The sensor is great, too... the slightest motion, even way off to the side, turns on the light, which is exactly what I wanted. There are both a 30-second setting and a 2-minute setting on the time the light stays on. The 30-second works well for my needs, because as long as anything is moving about within range of the sensor, it stays on. Yet shortly after I leave, it turns off.



I mounted them to a large fruit tree near the front steps, down near the street. It was a little tricky, mainly due to the angle of the tree and the steep slope it sits on! But once mounted, the black color of the lights was perfect... they don't look out-of-place, and in fact, almost look like part of the tree, from a short distance away. In order to use the template to mark where the holes should be drilled for the mounting screws, I couldn't use a pen or pencil on the dark-colored tree bark. So, what I did was pre-punch 2 small holes where the screw marks were on the template, and then I used white Liquid Paper to mark the drilling spots. You really do have to get the screws just right, which takes a little doing, especially up in a tree. But it's worth it, because when it's time to change the batteries, it's easy to lift the light assembly off the mounting screws.



I'll know more later about how long the batteries last, but barring defective batteries (the lights take 3 regular "D" batteries), I would expect many months of reliable use. One reviewer said the light didn't go on at first, and after they gave it a little whack, it then worked. Battery-operated things can be like that, sometimes. I gave mine a couple of not-too-hard, open-handed swats, and it perked right up and began working perfectly. ;)



I gave the highest rating to this product because it was not just okay, it was exactly what I was looking for, and functions exactly the way I wanted it to. I hope to buy a couple more in the future, to light up stairway areas and garbage can areas (we have naughty raccoons) on both sides of the house. Good product! I'm a happy camper. - Led Light - Night-lights - Motion Sensor - Home Security'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Motion-activate - motion sensor, led light home security Motion-activate - motion sensor, led light