Monday 13 December 2010

Gigabit Ethernet Switch


If you're looking for an affordable gigabit switch that doesn't suffer from strange auto-negotiation (speed/duplex) problems, this switch is for you.



This product is easily superior to the Netgear GS605, which may appear identical in functionality, but in actuality is not. The GS605 behaves very badly when it comes to speed and duplex auto-negotiation, resulting in incorrect speed being negotiated with Marvell, some nVidia, and some Broadcom PHYs. The GS105 does not suffer from these problems, proving the hardware in the GS105 differs from that of the GS605.



The GS105 also has an incredibly small AC adapter; it's no where near "brick" size. However, on a power strip that has AC outlets next to one another (horizontal, not vertical), this product will probably block the AC outlet next to the one you install it in. This won't happen with vertically-oriented power strips. Just a FYI...



The reason I ranked this product 4/5 stars is because of temperature -- the GS105 runs incredibly warm (borderline hot) for such a small device. Other users have reported the same issue. It's a minor drawback, but is worth noting for others who may wonder the same question.



If the temperature is a big concern, consider purchasing a Hawking Technologies HGS5T, which is identical in functionality to this product, runs much cooler, but has a larger footprint, and a "brick" AC adapter. NETGEAR GS105NA Giga Switch 5Pt Metal

I think this was the smallest gig switch I could find, so I bought it. I've owned several other Netgear switches and have really liked them. This one is no different - works as advertised straight out of the box, although a bit warm as many have mentioned (a Netgear feature). All ports are on one side, and I like the fact that it has mounting holes and hardware that permit you to hang it out of sight so all that cable mess can stay off the top of the desk. Mounted with the ports facing down, all cables come up into the box neatly so I didn't experience any cabling issues as some have mentioned. Two thumbs up!

I had a 5-port HUB (using 3 of them) across the room from my main system. When transferring files I got a steady stream of collisions. Really slowed down the transfer due to all the retransmissions.



The SWITCH was truly Plug & Play. Plugged everything in and it worked. It did all the address look-up and handshaking without human involvement. File transfers now run at full speed with no collisions.



Highly recommended.

Bought it primarily to connect 2 PCs and NAS, but also connecting Internet Router and Xbox 360.



Profs:

* Small

* Cool (temperature)

* Metal case (asking why this is prof? Because not smelly plastic like most others!!! And of course metal provides extra shielding)

* Excellent quality

* Perfectly works on 1 Gigabit speed

* Package also contains 4 rubber legs and screws for on wall mounting (if needed)

* Green. Up to 60% power saving (as declared on the box). Of course haven't checked by myself! :-)



Cons:

None so far

These switches are great when they work, but after a period of 2-3 years two of the three I've owned started having serious problems. Six months ago I noticed that while using my Xbox360 as a Media Extender - something I do all the time - I started getting a lot of "Network Congestion" messages and horribly choppy video while watching some TV shows I had previously recorded. This had never happened before, and I was pretty perplexed because I hadn't changed anything. I tried a number of different things from both ends (you name it, I tried it), but nothing helped with the issue. I eventually decided to eliminate the GS105 (initially just plugging the Ethernet cable right into the Xbox360 and then later using an old Linksys Gigabit switch I had) and everything has worked perfectly since. Unfortuntely, the issue returned a couple weeks ago, but I knew traffic going to the Xbox was going through another GS105 I had on my home network, so I replaced that switch with another one - I had to run out to the store this time - and I'm now back in business again. It's a shame about this switch, because they are quiet, sturdy, and inexpensive, but I won't be buying another one.

For years and years Netgear has been producing a line of metal enclosed unmanaged (read no need to mess around with configuration) network switches. This line of metal enclosed Netgear switches have a proven track record -- I've used a dozen of them over the years without encountering any problems.



This 5-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch continues this flawless track record. I picked up two of these 5-port switches to ensure that my newly wired-for-Gigabit house maintains Gigabit speed on my internal wired network, only dropping to 100Mb/s Ethernet when network traffic crosses onto my router and then upstream to my DSL modem and beyond.



The Switch is small and light enough to be stashed out of the way attached to the side of a desk with the included mounting screws. The switch has two keyholes cut in the base of the unit. If you carefully position the two included screws in a vertical or horizontal surface (to mount on the underside of a table) then the switch will slide onto the screws to securely hang the switch.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information