Wednesday 8 December 2010

For Dummies - for dummies


This is a great, easy to understand desktop reference for making ANY document, brochure, newsletter, report, letter, etc. look professional, and for making people want to read them. It tells you what makes publications look better and WHY, and gives examples and ideas. Even using just a few tips from this book can help your documents look better and be easier to read. It explains fonts and how to choose, spacing, using pictures, clip art, and graphics (including scanning and sizing), borders, tables, charts, how to attract reader's attention, and how to use color and save money. The design, page formatting and layout tips also provide detailed instructions for most major word processing and desktop publishing applications, such as Word, Wordperfect, MS Publisher and Pagemaker (Windows and Mac). Although it was written in 1995, the tips and tricks still apply and I find the instructions generally hold up in the upgraded versions of the software applications (i.e., Office 2000)(- but it would still be nice to get a new edition of this book published). It also has a section on how to easily work with your service bureau or print shop, and on creating a corporate identity for your business.I've read this cover to cover and keep it at my desk for quick reference. I think all design and publishing professionals should read this book as I can now do better than most I've worked with! I highly recommend this for anyone who owns their own business - but it even helps with the family Christmas newsletter. Desktop Publishing & Design for Dummies

OK, this book is old. I don't read it too often anymore, but have probably read it cover to cover three times, and referred back to it dozens of times. It is good generic information that still applies today. I bought this book back in late 1995. Around the same time I started fooling around with Corel Draw 4 and Serif Page Plus 3/Draw Plus 2. By June of 1996 I was a graphic artist at a weekly newspaper. Two years later I got a job as a signmaker for a few months. I returned to the newspaper business when a good offer came in, and have been doing dtp, design and signmaking freelance on the side ever since. When I bought this book, I didn't know the difference between a serif and san serif font. I was self taught, 100%. Other books that were a big influence "The Gray Book" and a little spiral bound book from DDC "Quick Reference Guide-Graphic Design for Desktop Publishing". Learning programs certainly is valuable, and I've worked with a lot of them. More valuable is the understanding of layout and design. Without this knowledge, knowing a bunch of programs is of little use. This book is good for someone starting out, or someone who thinks they know a lot. - For Dummies'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


for dummies For Dummies - for dummies