Friday 24 December 2010

Espresso Machines - espresso machines, coffee maker


I bought this at Targét for $29, and it is freaking awesome. To the two reviewers above... if you actually read the manual you would know that the cord underneath the base can be unraveled to the desired length. This is to eliminate excess cord on your countertop.



Anyway, I discovered I was spending almost $200 at Starbucks... a near crack habit. My previous espresso machine broke over the summer--a $300 Gaggia. Prior to the gaggia I had a krups.



So I plunked down a few bucks for this one knowing I was taking a wee gamble. Usually you get what you pay for.



Let me tell ya, this little machine is great. First, it is super super quiet. My previous machines were deafening especially when frothing. Secondly, it takes up little space. Third, it's fairly nice looking and matches our coffee maker. And of course last, it makes great lattés.



So, don't waste your money on some huge hulking espresso machine that will only last a few years. This one does the job and won't cause ear trauma.



I've had this machine for over a year. I have tried other machines, even a pump. It makes good cappuccinos/lattes when the milk is steamed properly at the right temperature. If your only into espresso shots, I would go with a pump.



PROS

-Inexpensive

-Frother is strong, plastic tip is removable

-Quiet (then a pump machine)

-Small



CONS

-Supplied tamper is just a slightly flattened end of the coffee scooper.

-No frothing pitcher.

-Multiple shots requires de-pressuring the machine.



NOTES

-It is important to have a correct tamp and grind. A weak tamp or a course grind will cause the machine to brew too fast and cause the steamer to become weak because not enough pressure built up, resulting in weak taste. Too hard of a tamp or too fine of a grind will cause the brew to be too slow and build up too much heat, resulting in bitter taste.



-I rarely make a "4cup" with this machine, but when I do, it is somewhat tricky. The machine has a hard time pushing thru a 4 cup filled basket. In this situation, it most often then not brews too slow and too hot and results bitter. You have to compensate by tamping very lightly.



-It is very possible to create thick dense micro foam as well as light fluffy airy foam. It all depends where and how you place the frothing tip near the surface of the milk. Using a thermometer is very useful too. Overheating the milk will make it lose its sweetness.



-Descale it if it becomes slow. I use Durgol.



-Sometimes excess water builds the tank. I believe this causes the machine to become less efficient. Run an empty cycle to remove the water every once in a while.



EDIT

I've had this machine for almost 3 years and the frothing wand tip broke on me while using a wrench to disassemble and clean the wand tip. You're supposed to use the supplied plastic wrench but I used a metal wrench and it tore the tip right off. It is a 7 dollar part on amazon, but I decided to just buy a new one since these are so cheap and it was 3 years old. I still think for what this is, it is a good machine. The new version of this model has a different shaped wand.



EDIT #2

Still using this machine. Want to note that I have a routine I do with the machine that ensures the brew process is the same everytime.



If you use the machine from a cold start (like hasn't been used in a few hours) what I do is brew just water, no coffee, no filterbasket. and brew out all the water into the cup I will be using. This will warm the cup. and since not so much pressure will build up you will be able to open the top 'slowly' with out it exploding with pressure (warning: this is only on a cold start). After this... then proceed as normal. This will warm up the machine so when it does the brew process it will have an easier time and brew better and efficiently. This method also clears out the problem of water 'building' up in machine causing inefficient brew times.

Love this product. I read all the other reviews before buying, so I knew it didn't come with a steaming pitcher and ordered one to go with it. However, I didn't realize that it didn't come with an espresso tamper either. I would have ordered one had I known, now I have to wait for the one I ordered to come in and hope it fits this machine. Would have given it 5 stars, but as a former barista, I know that to make a good latte I need a steaming pitcher and a tamper. So for an espresso machine not to come with these items is like getting a pair of sneakers with no laces. I have had no problem with leaking, and as long as the user READS THE INSTRUCTIONS, they shouldn't have any problems either. For $40, I've already gotten my money's worth in the last week. And anyone interested in buying, I would say "GO FOR IT!!!" but order a steaming pitcher and espresso tamper along with it.



Note: P.S. Get a 49mm espresso tamper to go with it. Doesn't fit "perfectly" but its as close as I could find that wouldn't be too big. - Espresso Maker - Espresso Machines - Coffee Maker - Espresso - Latte - Cappuccino'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information