Friday 17 December 2010

Camera Accessories - leather case, g11


The case pictured on listings for the PSC-5200 looks just like the overseas Japan/UK/Australia case available for the G10 -- the SC-DC60A.



This is NOT that case. I uploaded a gallery of images of the actual case I received. Please check out my photos before you decide whether or not to buy. It is perfectly functional, but is clearly a simpler, more cheaply made case than the SC-DC60A. It is made in China. Canon PSC-5200 Deluxe Leather Case for Canon Powershot G10 Digital Camera

The case look very nice but when i try it with my g11, it did not meet my expectation. the case did not fit the camera. Most probably because it is made for g10. So, i did not recommend this to the g11 user but likely to recommend to the g10 user. Thanks.

Goods arrived in good working order. Everything was branded as "Canon" and appears to be of good quality, workmanship, and materials. It was of course designed for a G10 and the G11's dimensions are ever so slightly different, but nonetheless it pretty much fit like a glove. In order to accomodate the G11's flip-out screen, I took a pair of tin-snips to the left hand side and trimmed some material out of the way to allow for the screen to flip-out easily. A little touch of sharpie black marker to the edge helped my handiwork to blend in somewhat better.

The other reviewer is correct, in that the stitching is somewhat different on the case you will receive - there are two diagonal stitches at the top front that are not shown in the amazon photo. Otherwise, I can find no difference. What is important, I think, is that this case is far nicer than the other leather canon case made for the G-series, which is clunky and ill-fitting. This one fits nicely, screwing into place with the tripod fastener. It is also much easier to use in that the top of the case is both openable and removable. I think the quality is quite good and for a genuine leather case, the price is a miracle.

The Canon PSC-4200 camera case does not fit the Canon G12 camera. It may show up under Amazon's listing of accessories for the G12... don't buy it. It just doesn't fit! It is nicely made but just doesn't fit.

I wanted to write a quick review of this item after reading some negative reviews.



I have a G10 that I take everywhere. This case is well made (yes, made in China) and looks awesome. It does exactly what it is designed to do, protects your camera in style! I only regret I didn't buy it before I went to Italy.



Why would you give this product a bad rating saying that it doesn't fit your G11?! It's for the G10! Duh!



For the price this is an absolute steal. If you own a G10, order this.. you won't regret it!

I see a lot of G-10 cameras around the necks of tourists. For $10 they really should have this case. The material is thick, stiff leather that will take a lot of scuffing, and the inside is lined with some kind of soft material against the camera case. When I first got it, the flip-over front cover was understandably stiff (had not flexed much yet), like a new pair of shoes. Now it conforms very well to the shape of the camera.



One problem is that the front cover will get in your shot if you leave it snapped on the rest of the cover that holds the camera. Sure, it's easy to detach, and the three snaps are high quality for repeated on/off. But then you have to figure out where to keep the front cover. I suppose you could spin it around on the bottom snap so that it curves downward, not upward, but there's a chance it will snap away and fall off.



Nonetheless, the case allows for the use of the factory neck strap, and there's enough depth on the back that it helps keep things like zippers/buttons on your coat from scraping by the viewing screen. This protects the screen from scratches to some extent, compared with using the camera alone.



If you use a tripod, the bottom screw of the case that mounts into the camera's tripod mount is, itself, threaded for a tripod mount.



The leather case must be removed to get to the memory card and battery. There's no access flap on the side, and that's fine, given the goal of protecting the camera.

I received this beautiful black leather case a week ago and I love it! It did not fit the G11 screen on the left side only. As suggested by another reviewer , I took a sharp pair of scissors and trimed a 3/8" wide strip from the left side. I transitioned nicely to the curve at the bottom. Then I burnished it with the edge of the scissor to round the leather edge. With a black sharpie I colored the edge and it fits like a glove! I don't understand why people are saying it doesn't fit? All of this took me 5 minutes total! There are cases for around $100 for the G11. I got this one deliver to my home for $9.50! It is well constructed and appears to be a original Canon product, box and all say Canon. I am delighted! Do you think the people that could fit this on the G11 are creative photographers if they can't remove a 1/4" strip of leather? Snap shooters I say! - Canon G11 - Leather Case - Canon G10 - G11'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information