Tuesday 9 November 2010

Scissor Sharpener - sharpener, knife


This sharpener works extremely well on all my knives and is very easy to use. It does not require that you maintain a twenty degree angle - it does it for you. Also it doesn't require oil or water. You just swipe the blade through a few times and that's it. It's truly perfect.



I knew that my sharpening steel skills were not ideal. I was able to get a sharp blade but it didn't seem to hold very long. When I saw that Wusthof had a sharpener, I knew it would be worth having. Already knowing the quality of their products, I was certain this would be the same.



After passing my knives through a few times, the sharpness was back. No fuss, no muss. Easy to hold when placed on the counter and no angle to figure out.



The only down side is that there are no instructions or advice included. I don't know if this should be used every time I want to sharpen my knives or just occasionally. Also, I question whether I am sharpening my scissors correctly since I had to figure it out on my own. Perhaps the Wusthof Web site has more information. Otherwise, it is great.

I have been using honing stone and I am also proud for being able to sharpen all my knives with the stone (except for the serrated ones). Then I gave this thing a try and wow ! it works, consistently and with ease. When using a honing stone, it is hard to maintain the correct edge angle, and this device takes the guess work out. A friend of mine thinks his buck knife is sharp until he reset the edge with Wustof's stage 1 carbide edger and then hone it with the stage 2 ceramic sharpener. Then he was surprised with how his "new" knife shred paper like razor. Then we tried with the scissors and learned that the specially shaped slot should prevent one from inserting the scissors in a wrong way (right handed vs. left handed scissors). Quality is great. Comes with non-slip padding on the grip as well as several other sides so you can grip it and hold in down on the counter top in several positions/ways steadily.



Downside is that it is a bit pricey. There are cheaper ones out there which I believe would work similarly but would probably lack the little quality touches here and there.

While sharpening the first knife on this, one of the ceramic rods began to rotate. By the second knife it was really spinning around, and squeaking. I don't think this is supposed to happen - for one, it would asymmetrically hone the blade. But I don't know for sure, because Wüsthof didn't reply to my email question about it.



Well, that problem could be fixed with a bit of superglue. But I really shouldn't have to repair things right out of the box. And something with no moving parts (ignoring the floating rod in the scissor sharpener) should be easily made solid.



On the other hand, it seems to work now. My (previously incredibly dull) knives have a new lease on life, and seem moderately sharp. I haven't extensively used any other sharpener (my knives can attest to that), so I don't know how it compares.

you wanna be a hotshot, get a whetstone and go to culinary academy. BUT, if you want a simple, durable, inexpensive, very effective knife sharpener, bingo! i advise against some 20 lb., overly complex, electric thigamajig. REMEMBER...with many sharpeners, manual, electric, whatever, including this one, they have a coarse slot and a fine slot. use coarse only when your knives are REALLY dull; it removes a lot of metal and restores the edge, but overuse will result in your hatori santuko or sabatier becoming an icepick. use the fine slot mostly. and sharpening steels look and sound cool, but they don't sharpen...they remove tiny imperfections and burrs as a final step. love this product.

How much needs to be said about a knife sharpener? This one works exceptionally well, is easy to hold and control while in use, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. It probably isn't an item you'll find in a professional kitchen, it's very well suited for your kitchen. REMEMEMBER: A DULL KNIFE IS A DANGEROUS THING!

I just needed some help on my knives. I've been using only a steel on my knives for the past few years and they were getting a bit dull. They were still cutting but I couldn't feel the edge by running my fingers across the edge. After a few minutes with each knife the edges on them are very good again. I manage a grocery store and I use the meat department manager's knives as my standard. This sharpener gets very close when comparing the feel of his knives to mines.

I doubt if this is the best thing for sharpening knives, but it's now part of my cooking routine. The old sharpening stone I used never got results like the Wusthof sharpener. I find the scissors sharpener somewhat difficult to use, but the coarse and fine knife sharpeners work well. About 20 - 30 strokes through each (coarse and fine) gives me a pretty sharp knife. I no longer hate cutting chicken wings! I think this is worth the money. - Manual - Knife - Scissor Sharpener - Sharpener - Knife Sharpeners - Wusthof'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information