Tuesday 9 November 2010

Espresso Accessories - esspresso accesories, tamper


I have a DeLonghi EC155 and the smaller size fits very nicely for tamping. It is able to hold over 50 lbs of pressure with no problem. I used the tamping method from Good Eats, where you put 50lbs of pressure, then twist.



I have looked everywhere for a tamper that would fit Saeco Aroma for a sensible price, but 53mm tampers were either too expensive or just unavailable. Although this one doesn't fit properly, the small end of it covers about 90% of the basket. Overall, I'm happy with it. It's a temporary solution. Tamper brand or construction is not a huge variable in the resulting quality of an espresso shot. You might at well use something out of the hardware store as long as it tamps the loose grounds well enough. This is why I am skeptical of tampers that cost 50-100 dollars. If RSVP Terry tamper fits your basket's proportions you should consider it.

This product is not a heavy item, but it works very well. The flat design makes it easy to tamp down coffee. It is not dishwasher safe. If you put it in the dishwasher it will come out looking like tarnished and dull aluminum. I speak from experience here. It still works great, but I don't like things I have to hand wash when I have a machine that will do it for me!

Yes, 1 star! I would go less if I could. While yes, this could be a step up from the cheapo plastic tamps that arrive with your machine, it is a very small step, and in some cases a step backwards. I invite you to consider saving up a little longer and getting a better tamper. The "Rosewood" brand tampers are a knockoff of the industry standard Reg Barber, and are just over $20 here on Amazon. They are proof that you don't need to spend $70 if you are a home user that is not pulling hundreds of shots a day.



You really do need a tamper that is sized to properly fit your porta-filter, or your pulls WILL suffer. Measure the inside of the filter and buy accordingly. The pressurized water will go the path of least resistance, and if you tamper is too small, you will over extract the outside edge and under extract the middle. The result is a shot with little to no body and bitter. Did I mention bitter? A good tamper makes a HUGE difference.



Being flat on both ends makes this tamper very hard to use correctly. Getting a level tamp is very difficult.



Do yourself and your espresso a big favor and just walk away from this item. Search online for videos on how to properly tamp, and you will quickly see why this tamper is not a good choice, and learning all you can about the process will only improve your shots.

how can you rate a tamper? well, it fits in the basket and it tamps down the coffee. I guess Terry's tamper does just that. It was a great price, I mean come on, who's the numbskull who would pay $20 for an item to tamp his grounds?

I was impressed by the fast shipping and great customer service.

It's rare that a small purchase ($8.00) can make such a big difference. I'm new to the espresso experience and I was using the art-deco plastic girder-looking tamper that came with the Airette unit. After reading the reviews below I bought Terry's Tamper and I couldn't believe what a difference it made. It's a handy size and it allowed me to exert a greater pressure while tamping the grind and the result was a better cup of espresso. I seem to get a better extraction from a tighter tamp therefore greater taste and value from my coffee. What more can one ask?

I have a Gaggia Classic espresso machine. The 55mm plastic tamper that came with the machine broke after a while. This one-piece cast aluminium Terry Tamp temper is a perfect replacement for the original. It is easy to hold, easy to use. No reason to spend $20-$100 on fancy tampers that may be inferior in quality to this.

works great. unfortunately my saeco aroma portafilter is a smidgeon too small for the large end, and the small end leaves a gap on the edge, but it doesn't seem to matter.

don't know how i lived w/o it. the espresso is so much more intense when its heavily tamped.

So far so good...with the smaller diameter side it's a close fit to the breville die cast porta filter. Still, a tiny gap remains and it does not tamp the edges without a smoothing action. As a tamper...well it works for me and the price is excellent. Simple yet handy design. Shipped and arrived quickly. - Espresso - Expresso - Tamper - Espresso Accessories - Esspresso Accesories - Coffee'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information