Tuesday 9 November 2010

Plantronics - headset, headphones


I recently ordered the .Audio 655 to replace my old Plantronics DSP 500, which I absolutely loved (for about 5 years until the mic stopped working). I was hesitant to buy a headset that had no reviews, but so far I am very pleased.



I use Skype regularly and everyone says the sound quality of my mic is superb (although they said the same with the DSP 500). The mic itself is attached to a stiff piece of plastic that swivels very smoothly (I don't anticipate it loosening any).



The USB cable is pretty thin, although plenty long. I feel like I need to be cautious with it around my kitten.



The buttons on the headset work nicely, although I preferred the DSP 500's method of having the volume controls located along the USB cable. Also, there is a blue light on the left earphone in the center of the audio controls. This light appears to be on at all times.



I have two complaints about the headset so far:

- My ears are slightly too large for ear cushions. I would rate my ears as slightly larger than normal (but not by much). Initially putting the headset on, it is extremely comfortable, but after about 20 minutes of use it becomes a little uncomfortable (this is a very mild uncomfortability).

- The headset has no drivers, and Windows XP recognizes it as "Generic USB Audio Device" whereas my old DSP was registered as a "Plantronics Headset". This may not be important to most people, but I have a lot of audio devices attached to my computer (my old DSP, a Skype phone, webcam mic, speakers, and now this headset). All of my other sound devices are appropriately named; it's a shame my newest toy is not. Again, this is a very minor complaint. Plantronics .Audio 655 USB Multimedia Headset

I've worked in radio and as a voice over announcer for 30 years. I needed something for some simple recording at home that wasn't going to break the bank. I'd love to have a Shure RE-20, my all time favorite workhorse, but it's pricey and requires more of a set up that I need at home. So after some careful research I came across the Plantronics line. The audio tests done by some folks online really impressed me and the fact that they are being used by some large companies for training audio also impressed. When I saw I could get it for under $30 I was happy but a little leery too.

Well I've had it at home for two days now and run it through it's paces. I'm VERY impressed! The audio on the mic is very good, I have no idea what the problem is for some folks. I know the clunkiness of the headphones will put some people off but having worked in studios for years they don't bother me at all. It took some very minimal tweaking to get my software to get the great sound down "on tape". I'm looking forward to working with this set up for years to come.

I am a quite fussy about sound quality and to my ear this headphone is quite musical even though playing music is not its primary application. I bought this headphone for my daughter who is learning French using Rosetta Stone. Plantronics is renowned for its headsets designed for voice communication, so I bought this without much research. When it arrived, I found it is actually quite big in size and its padded ear piece sits around the ears, thus eliminates any long time wearing discomfort. The speakers are enclosed type so while you are listening to it, sound does not leak and disturbs others. It has a fold able noise cancelling microphone which has a red tip, adding some cool factor. The headphone does not need any driver, just plug it in and Windows detects it as a sound device. From usability point of view, nothing can be more easier.



It works flawlessly with Rosetta Stone, but as I have not used it with any voice chat application, I do not know how that noise cancelling microphone sounds at the other side. You can adjust volume by pressing two buttons on the left ear piece. The microphone also incorporates a cleaver design, you can mute it by raising the boom. This is quite nifty for voice conference.



I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of music it plays through. For a value multi media headset, I must say the sound it rich and not muddy like many other cheap headsets. If I do not have my Ultimate Ears, Shure or Audio Technical ear/head phones around, I may still use it for listening my musics through it.



The only drawback of this equipment is: it is made of plastic, it is quite big and kind of clunky as per my taste. However, if you factor in the price, I must say it is a very good buy.

I used to have a bluetooth headset to chat with my friends and teammates through the playstation network but it hurt my ears, its battery drained up with each gaming session and the sound was really really lacking. That why I searched for a USB headset and was recomended this brand plantronics.

Now I dont have to worry about those 3 problemas. The build is high quality, the sound is excellent and its so easy to use: just plug it in and the OS will recognize it as an audio device. If you are looking for an economic gaming headset solution, look no further. - Headset - Microphone - Plantronics - Headphones'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information