Tuesday 30 November 2010

External Hard Drive - internal hard drive, sata


This disk has performed flawlessly as a replacement for my old iMac hard drive. I had considered buying an new iMac, but realized the only thing I really needed to upgrade was my hard drive. After a bit of research I found this drive as a good replacement. I swapped the drives with little difficulty, and this one hit the ground running. I've had no overheating, or noise increase from my default drive. An excellent upgrade from my old 250G. Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Blue SATA 3 Gb/s 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD10EALS

Pros: quiet, stable and lots of room, this makes it is perfect for a secondary drive since it also has a good transfer rate & speed.



Cons: none



Other thoughts: haven't try it as a system drive, but I personally recommend a caviar black for it, 640GB or less to assure stability. Even how, caviar blue is great if you want it to be really quiet.

I got this drive because my 250GB drive was running on empty - and with the help of the Apricorn Drivewire - I had this drive in and working - replacing my old drive - as a cloned drive within TWO HOURS! Awesome - Thankyou!!!!

This is a review of the Western Digital "Blue" 1 TB Caviar hard drive. I've had mixed experience with hard drives in the past, having a few Maxtor drives fail on me after only a year or so of moderate use. I cannot comment on the longevity of these drives having only had them for a week or so. These are installed in my Synology Disk Station 211j as RAID drives. They were a snap to install and get up and running. I can't believe how quiet they are! That was one of my prime motivations for buying this model, and they sure delivered. You can't hear them run at all. At Amazon's price point, and the ease of setup, quietness, you can't go wrong with these drives. Hopefully they'll have good longevity. I like the fact that WD backs up their drives with a much longer (3 year) warranty than most companies.

.

I ordered this drive on a SATURDAY NIGHT, and it arrived Monday afternoon... Yikes!



Also,



-Great price for a TERAbyte

-Works flawlessly so far

-Is no noisier than the 5400 RPM D: drive it replaced.



I've been using Western Digital Caviar drives for over a decade, and I did a lot of research on the different models currently available until I settled on this 7200RPM, SATA II, WD10EALS...



Conclusion: At least for a data drive, blue is the right color for Caviar. 80>

I dual boot using this drive with Linux (Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit Desktop Edition) and another with Windows 7. I have had no problems and it arrived well packaged and in excellent condition.



Remember, this drive is OEM and you will need to provide the associated screws and cables, all of which was very easy to do.

I got it for my server which I expect to keep the next 5 years. Since a few different companies are having problems with their high capacity drives, I tested it overnight with a format and the WD Data Diagnostics tool with all the tests. It passed all of them. I love the speeds I was getting. 130MB/s R/W

I purchased this drive about 2 weeks ago. So far I haven't had any issues with it. Its very fast especially when compared to my older drive which was the western digital my book elite. I like that this drive has esata in addition to usb 2.0. I do find this drive getting hot and fairly noisy when in use. I don't know if the nosie and heat is also due to the case I have which is the vantec nexstar 3. Overaall I am very happy with the drive. I use for extra storage, backing up my laptop files and also playing 720p mvk files to my samsung blu ray player. When the drive is its not really that noisy its more when the drive is being accessed that's when it does get a little nosily. Also when it gets hot its not extremely hot I would say its more like just a warm temperature but not hot. I was able to get this drive for $60 at that price I would say its a very good deal. I don't think anyone should even pay more than $60.

I used this drive to replace the dying hard drive in my 2009 27" iMac. The drive went in without any hitches and works great. It is fast and responsive. Only con is that the drive is very -slightly- noisy when there is no background noise. I am being nitpicky here because you can only hear it if it's dead silent. - Internal Hard Drive - Sata - 1tb - 1 Tb'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


internal hard drive External Hard Drive - internal hard drive, sata