Friday 8 May 2009

Soldering


I'm always looking out for inexpensive artisan supplies that are comparable to professional types. This makes the cut. Sure you could get a variable temp. burner, but you'll put in at least $150 from the start...plus extra for tips. This burner is perfect for the beginners to the advanced type. The only flaw I've found is that it takes some practice to get lighter burn colors (achieved by quickly dragging the tool with less pressure)if you are trying to achieve different values. There are plenty of great tips that come with this burner as well. One thing that other less expensive burners lack is the heat guard (metal ring below the tip) and rubber/plastic finger comfort (it's black on this model) that your non-burned fingers will thank you for. I'm a big fan of this product's function and price. Walnut Hollow Creative Versa-Tool

I did not purchase this item on Amazon, but I wanted to leave a review. I purchased this item 2 days ago at JoAnn Fabrics. I used it for the first time yesterday. I practiced wood burning with it for about 20 minutes and it got so hot I couldn't hold it. I turned the tool off, let it cool and decided to try a different tip, as it comes with several different tips/points. I got some pliers (as the directions state to use) and attempted to remove the tip. The tip had melted into the tool. I tried and tried, but could not get the tip out of the tool. I contacted the company yesterday and have yet to hear anything back. Needless to say I'm just a little unhappy about paying $16.00 (originally $29.99, but I had a 50% off coupon) for only 20 minutes of practice. BUT I must say that while it was working, it did a good job.

For whatever reason I've always wanted one of these, so I bought one from another retailer. I love it! For the price, I don't think you can beat it. It comes with several different tips that can be used for woodburning, leather etching, and even soldering. I've only used it for woodburning so far. I need more practice, but the tool works great. The guard keeps my fingers safe and it's comfortable to use even though I have a habit of pushing down too hard which makes my fingers sore.



The only thing that I think would be a nice feature (not even sure if more expensive ones have this) is a button or something that would let you change tips without having to wait for cooldown. When I wanted to change tips and got impatient I used some pliers to screw loose the tip, but that might be damaging if you do it too much.



All in all a great tool that I'll find many projects for.

My 14 yr old daughter bought this and absolutely loves it. Everyone is amazed at the work she could do within days of getting it. It gets really hot. Be careful but its what makes it so good to work with. There are so many attachments, the possibilities are endless. My woodworking father is also very impressed with it.

I bought this on impulse because I'm a tool junkie, and haven't used it yet. I plan to use it for woodburning, but can imagine all kinds of uses for it. I like the fact that it can stamp on wood.



Very pleased with the condition of the product and the time it took to arrive.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Soldering Soldering Soldering