Wednesday 5 November 2008

Wireless Pc Headset - bluetooth headset, telephone headset


Pros:

Great sound

Comfortable Headset

People report it sounds great on their end

Good battery life (for the month I had it)



SoSos:

the noise cancellation didn't cancel noise (but do any of them really?)

The software driver for the headset is convenient, but only because configuring through the LCD is laborious.



Cons:

The LCD touchscreen is nifty, but it takes longer to change settings than on the 9350.

The mute is hard to reliably hit

slight background hiss With the volume up high



Overall:

I've returned the 9470 because of the two cons mentioned above. It just isn't living up to being the "next great thing". Hunting for the mute was the biggest pain (See below). Though my upgrade to the 9470 proved unsatisfying, I've just placed an order for a fresh 9350... "ol' trusty". Both of these headsets are better than anything else I've seen, but the older 9350 still beats the shinier 9470.



Background:

I've been a big fan of Netcom/Jabra headsets since I bought the 9350 a few years back. I am on the phone 9+ hours a day sometimes for my job so I want something crisp, clear, with good range, and a long battery life. Years of daily use took it's toll on the 9350 and it was time to replace it. The bells and whistles of the 9470 looked great. LCD screen, noise cancellation... It was the next step in evolution. The battery isn't swappable, but I hoped the slightly longer battery life would defer the need.



Setup wasn't too bad. And the headset was definitely as comfortable as my 9350. All in all, it's a solid product with good sound in and out, but it doesn't outshine the 9350 like I'd hoped. The noise cancellation it touts doesn't seem to cancel anything: music, other conversations, dogs barking... it's all still there. Granted, it was there with the 9350 too, so this was a wash. The volume couldn't get as loud as the 9350 either (I like the phone audio loud), but that was a minor nit.



Another minor annoyance was the background hiss... as I like my audio loud, turning it up provided a background hiss that wasn't a huge problem but in pauses between speakers it was noticable and slightly distracting.



The biggest issue for me was the mute button. On the 9350, it's a physical button on the back of the headset. So you know when you push it. That's good. With the 9470, the volume and mute are driven by touching the touch sensitive part of the earpiece (the extension of the boom that covers the ear directly). Turning mute on/off is done by doubletapping the center of that strip. However, in the month I used the headset, I never could reliably find the spot. I hop in and out of mute semi-regularly while I walk or open the fridge. Having to stand there tapping on my ear over and over looking for the sweet-spot got pretty frustrating.



This is also where I'd like to recommend to Jabra that they add a tiny red "mute" LED onto the boom that can be seen out of the corner of the eye. Having to wait for the 10sec repeating mute-beep to be 100% sure you're in mute is as annoying on the 9470 as it is on the 9350.



I still recommend the Jabra line over all the others for having the most advanced and comfortable headsets out there. They can't be beaten. but unless you desperately need the bluetooth capabilities of the 9470 (I didn't), then I think you're better off with the Jabra 9350 than the Jabra 9470. Jabra Pro 9470 1.9G Trilink Sys Trilink Pcusb Phone Mobile

I wear a headset for hours at a time in my home office. It's usually for business calls using my landline deskphone, skype (internet "soft phone"), or my iPhone. For quite a while I've used a Plantronics headset that only worked with my landline phone, and occasionally struggled with bluetooth headsets for my laptop and iPhone. These bluetooth headsets generally reduced the sound quality.



Versatility --

With the Jabra Pro 9470, I can now switch seamlessly between my deskphone, my computer, and my iPhone. If I get a call on my deskphone, I just have to pick up the headset from its base, and lift the deskphone receiver handset off the hook, and the Jabra headset jumps to work. Same thing if I get a call to my iPhone. Just pick the headset off its charging base, and it jumps to work. I leave my computer audio in/out settings on the Jabra 9470, and since it supports wideband audio, I can use the headset for just about any kind of audio content. And it uses DECT 6 for the wireless connection between base and headset, which doesn't interfere with any other wireless connections that may be in use around the computer or the house.



Sound quality --

The earpiece speaker is excellent, and has good volume range control. The mic is also very good. Setting the mic volume uses a clever idea: the base touchscreen walks you through calling a friend and having them tell you how it sounds while you make your adjustments, though I'm not sure why you can't do this while on a regular call. I work in a quiet setting, so it's hard to tell how well it would blank out extraneous background noise.



Mac compatible --

I have a MacBook Pro, and really struggled to find definitive reviews about using this headset with a Mac. It comes with PC software but not Mac. Not seeing any "Windows only" messages, I took a chance and ordered it anyway. Turns out the Mac "just finds it" as a USB headset, and I can go to the System Preferences > Audio control panel to select it for the computer speaker and/or microphone. My iPhone connects to it via Bluetooth. And the deskphone connects by plugging the deskphone's handset cord into the back of the Jabra 9470.



The installation wasn't completely intuitive, but I fiddled with it till it worked with all three inputs. Definitely worth the effort. I'm now ordering the GN 1000 handset lifter for those times when I'm wandering around my house while wearing the headset, and want to answer a call on the deskphone.



I just can't get over how much more versatile this headset is than the one I had before. - Telephone Headset - Jabra - Bluetooth Headset - Wireless Pc Headset'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Wireless Pc Headset - bluetooth headset, telephone headset wireless pc headset Wireless Pc Headset - bluetooth headset, telephone headset