Tuesday 6 September 2011

Wireless Mouse - logitech, mouse


I received my mouse about a week ago, and have been putting it through the rounds. Before using this mouse, my main gaming mouse was the Logitech G7. It was a really great mouse for its time.



Compared to the G7, the G700 has a much better feel to it. The surface is rough, instead of smooth and slick like the G7, so all your finger gunk doesn't get on there. All of the buttons on the G700 can be identified just by feeling them. They seem very natural to click.



The accuracy of this mouse is insane. I use it at 1000 reports/sec on max gaming power mode. Usually with a new mouse it takes time to get used to it, but this mouse just seemed so natural to me that I got used to it right away. It's slightly better than the G7, but it's *much* more consistent/reliable in its movement than the Performance mouse MX (which I use on my laptop). I mostly play league SC2 (diamond 1v1) so this is very important to me.



The battery lasts 3-5 hours in this max gaming mode before you have to plug in the usb cable. At this point, it becomes a wired mouse instead of a wireless mouse. I kind of miss the old G7 design where you would just swap batteries all the time, so it would be wireless full time. You can do that with this mouse too I suppose, since it takes a normal AA battery. You just have to buy some rechargeable AA batteries and charge some while you're playing. Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700

I purchased this mouse due to my LOVED G7 mouse not working in games with Win7 and available Setpoint! First why the G7 wouldn't work is still being checked by Logitech's crack tech support staff; cough, cough; seems most corrective actions to try came directly from Customers in the customer forum on Logitech's site. First this mouse is much heavier and a bit awkward to use compared to the G7. I liked the new Setpoint but it would keep losing the mouse setup and wouldn't work correctly in many popular games. The charging system compared to the G7 takes to long and the USB cable makes a cumbersome mouse even more so. The USB charging cable is heavy and stiff. The G7 had swappable batteries! This system is great and so easy to use on the fly. When the the G700 Battery is close to running out. Connect USB charging cable to mouse, BAM the mouse forgets everything and nothing works. Charging through USB takes far too long and you better hope you are using an USB connection on your system that has enough power to do so. Even if I left the battery charging over night it never seemed to last more than 2 hours tops with heavy use. I tried two different G700's and same issues. Going from USB wired mode to wireless and the mouse would again lose all settings.



I tried two of the G700's and both had same issues. Logitech tech support system is pretty good and they get back to you quickly but it always seems like they are grasping at straws and using the customer forum as their answer center. I spent far too much of my time trying to correct issues that I should have with this product. I will add I also bought the Logitech G930 and G510 and had issues with both of them as well and received the same level of tech support. All items have been returned. It is too bad I love G7 and have many other Logitech products that I have been extremely happy with

So I love this mouse. While it is not adjustable, I find it extremely comfortable and perfect in weight. My only complaint is logitech's refusal to support OSX. Luckily the mouse is still programable and useable. You basically have two options:



1. use ControllerMate or Steermouse to program the mouse.



2. Program it with the Windows software (assuming you have VMWare or dual-boot) and save the config to one of the 3 profiles stored on the on-board memory.

As there is no "command" key with windows you have to use either "alt" or "ctrl", so, for example, copy would be "ctrl-C" rather than "command-C"

When booted into OSX go to "system preferences:Keyboard" and click on the modifier keys button.

Find the mouse "listed as both G700 and USB receiver, you need to do this to both" and tell the mouse to interpret either "ctrl or alt" keypreses as commands.

Previously, I was using a Razer Mamba (two of them actually, one for me and one for my fiance). Those mice, regardless of firmware, always had problems with losing connection for a split second or the mouse jumping across the screen. I even had the mouse right next to the docking station/wireless antenna and it still had the problems.



This Logitech mouse though, I have the receiver half way across the room (10ft away probably) and right next to two routers (5Ghz and 2.4Ghz) and it works perfectly! Not one single mouse jump or connection loss.



Additionally, I love the fact this mouse not only comes with a rechargeable battery but the fact it is a AA. If I am getting low, I can just find another AA and throw it in quickly to continue playing then let the rechargeable battery charge later. Add to that, you can go days without having to recharge this mouse with 8+ hours a day heavy usage (between work and games). The Mamba would only get a days charge tops.



The free spinning scroll wheel is an awesome touch that I have looked forward to from other Logitech mice and more so the fact that there is an easy access button to change it to a click scroll wheel.



The other great thing with this mouse is the software. Now, I know some people don't particularly like Setpoint software and maybe my opinion is based on having used the Razer software for so long, however, the software seems less bloated and quick to respond over anything I have used before. Again, this opinion is probably based on the fact that the Razer software too minutes and special hoops to jump through before it would update settings on the mouse wireless. I had to flip the Mamba upside down so the sensor wouldn't activate while changing setting and would take up to 30 seconds before the mouse would become responsive again.



That said, I do have a few cons for this device.



First, while the weight is great as is for me, I can understand that this mouse might not be the right weight for some. The idea of not incorporating a weight system is a little disappointing, but it does not directly effect me.



Second, I really miss the docking station for my Mamba. The fact I had to charge that mouse everyday was made easier by the fact I could just throw it on a stylish dock. Still, if you have a traditional desk setup you could zip tie the Logitech charge cable off somewhere for easy access. My setup is on the couch so it's not as easy.





All in all, the only con for me is the lack of a dock which is a small price to pay for a precise gaming mouse. I would recommend this mouse to anyone on the fence, especially if considering the Mamba. - Wireless Mouse - Laser Mouse - Mouse - Logitech'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information