Tuesday 6 September 2011

Sunbeam Grill - indoor grill, fast


I bought my Rocket Grill about a week ago from the TV add. I usually shop Amazon when I see something on TV that I like but this time it looked so good I just called up and did the deal on the spot. I could have saved a few bucks had I gone to ...zon first and ordered on line.



Even so I am very pleased with the item to the point I wanted to share the experience with those now thinking of buying one.



To me the best feature is that just like the other reviews, there is no clean up. I figured that was a bit too good be true and it almost is. So far, the only clean up needed was to sponge off the lid. A very slight residue of oil will settle on the inside of the lid as the heated steam from the cooking process rises and passes through. The lid is extremely easy to remove so this kind of clean up is almost negligible.



Let me tell you, I've tried a bunch of kitchen grilling systems. There are those where I would set it and forget it, infra-red convection whiz-bang thingies with huge plastic bell shaped lid, toaster ovens of different varieties and a score of others. They all have their cooking gimmicks and most do a good job of cooking as promoted. BUT THE MESS they made always ruined it. Clean up took longer than the cooking did so after a few tries, those devices were stored and not used. Eventually they would be given to a family member (heh), sold or donated.



The Rocket Grill is a keeper and I will use it regularly. Last night I made two frozen filet mignon steaks today I heated up previously cooked rotisserie chicken, made some hot dogs and a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.



Haven't needed to wash a thing. The secret is in the parchment pouches into which the food is put and within which the food is cooked. Essentially all the grease, fat, spatter, etc is retained inside the bag. Nothing but the steam gets out. No spatter, no cooked on grease, no crumbs, no kidding !!! Nuff Said ... get it !!! You'll love it.



I will address some of the negatives that people have brought up about the Rocket Grill, but first I must say that even for a cook this device was pretty damn impressive. I got it as a gift and expected to chuck it after an obligatory attempt at "grilling". As a cook, you aren't always in the mood to create something elaborate at home. So seeing it's description I immediately decided I would limit it to dry rub grilling and expected a dried husk of chicken to appear at the end (heck, it drains away the juices, I like the juices). When I cut open the breast, I was shocked to find a perfectly cooked piece of chicken with juices gushing out of it (obviously they didn't all drain out) and the outside sufficiently grilled. It actually tasted great. I was amazed at how quick it took. I rarely eat frozen but had to try it and unexpectedly had the same result.



If you don't have to cook for a family this is an option for a quick no hassle, tasty meal. But there are some potential drawbacks I will discuss for those that are thinking about whether this is a good choice for their kitchen and lifestyle:



1. Meal for two at best: I have had no problem cooking meals for my wife and I. I usually place two items, side by side, and they are ready at the same time. I however, have a slightly larger appetite so I place a second item if desired in while I am beginning to eat. Works out even better as I have a warmer second serving that if they both came out at the same time. Sandwiches are usually a one at a time affair though and that is not as fun but I usually through the first in the warmer and the other one is done in minutes.



2. Avoid overly wet rubs: If you use a really wet rub then you will run into the issues that some have had, breaking bags. I usually use dry or slightly damp rubs, if I use a wet one I pad the excess moisture. Do this and you won't have the breaking bag syndrome.



3. If you cook there is enviromental impact! Yes, you have to use bags (recurring revenue is very lucrative for sunbeam) and that will add to what you put in landfills. However, there is the cost in the amount of water and soap used for cleaning the pots and pans if you cooked something in a more conventional method too that is completely avoided by using this device. If environment is a concern with cooking, I suggest switching to a raw food diet. The other serious concern here is the use of Silicone to make the parchment nonstick, which is non-biodegradable and which likely will also be in your food. One the other side though, many also have teflon pots and pans, so what is worse? I can't say.



4. It's only a gimmick if you don't use it. I have found a perfect and consistent use for mine...it gives me a chance to make a quick and easy, yet still intensely flavorful main course on those busy nights I don't want to spend 45 minutes cooking. I have about 10 different rubs at any given time on hand ready to go, rub it on pop it in, prep the sides and a meal for two in 10-15 minutes that tastes like it took an hour or more.



Ultimately, if you use it appropriately(drier rubs, sandwiches and the like) and are looking for a quick flavorful alternative that usually requires no clean up then this will likely be a fit for your lifestyle and not a gimmick. I have probably eaten so much teflon in my lifetime I am not put off by silicone coated parchment paper, heck I use a Silpat too. As for the landfill issue, in my mind it seems a wash with all the water and soap I would have to use to properly clean my pots and pans (or George Foreman grill) to do the same job.



However, if you need to feed more than two people at once, are looking for a really moist rub/marinade grilling experience, concerned about chemicals that may get into your food and don't trust the FDA, or find that putting silicone coated parchment paper into our landfills is worse than wasting water cleaning then this is definitely not your product. - Fast - Easy - Sunbeam Grill - Indoor Grill - Grill - Convenient'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information