Wednesday 21 September 2011

Olympus Picture Card - xd card, olympus picture card


My girlfriend received an Olympus Stylus 1030SW for her birthday so I purchased her this card and a case to go along with it. Once the firmware was updated on the camera, this card allowed for unlimited 640x480x30FPS video capture. Spend the extra money for the M+. They're basically the same speed as more expensive xD H cards. Olympus M+ 2 GB xD-Picture Card Flash Memory Card 202249

It's nice to be able to shoot high resolution shots and video clips and not worry about running out of disk space. With my old camera I always got to "0 shots left" too quick and had to delete photos to make room for more. With this much memory, doubt that will be a problem.

If you are purchasing the Olympus Stylus Tough-8000 12 MP Digital Camera you DO NOT NEED the M+ card. The camera comes with a M+ to Micro SD adapter. Purchase an 8gig Micro SD card use the adapter. This will give you around 2200+ 12mb pictures.



I also used it to record video with no problems. I had 300 pictures with 3 15 minute video clips.

After using my Olympus C-7000 to take JPEGs only for a number of years, I finally started to explore the power of RAW files. This really allowed me to improve the color significantly. Beforehand, I had never really been in love with in the color from this camera. So why is this relevant? Because saving RAW files with the xD memory cards is very slow, and the M+ versions of the memory card did not help much. If this style of memory card is all your camera can handle, then by all means use the M+ card. However, it is a shame the the great work of Olympus (and I'm a long-time Olympus user) is compromised by such slow storage media. At least, it is slow vs. today's standards, such as the SanDisk 2 GB Extreme III SD Memory Card ( SDSDX3-002G-A21 Retail Package). The SanDisk card also comes with software for recovering accidentally deleted images. With my Pentax K10D 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction (Body Only) (or the updated Pentax K20D 14.6MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction and DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Lens, or brand-new Pentax K-7 14.6 MP Digital SLR with Shake Reduction and 720p HD Video (Body Only)), you can use these fast cards (and faster cards are on the way). I currently take simultaneous JPEG and RAW photos with the Pentax K10D and the process is fast. Just taking a RAW picture on the C-7000 would require many seconds to save to any xD type card I tried, including the 2 GB xD M+. So, if you want to shoot RAW files, I don't see how you will be happy with an M+ card (unless, perhaps, your camera has a memory buffer that can speed up the photography process somehow). If you stick to JPEGs, the card will work fine, but you may be giving up a lot of your camera's inherent power.

xD cards are not the fastest nor are they very practical. Myself I find them too small and too easy to lose.



On the other hand, Olympus DSLRs come with 2 card slots, 1 for CF and 1 for xD. getting a 2GB xD is cheap insurance that if you ever go out with your camera and left the CF at home by mistake, you still have 2GB in the camera.

Also, in case you shoot more than you expected at an event, the extra 2GB can be a life saver.



Finally, I have read of people who were stopped by over zealous security guards or police when shooting buildings and when requested to delete images accepted to do so and presented the empty xD as evidence.

I have an older model Olympus digital camera and found that this picture card was not compatable with it. I contacted Cameta Camera and received instructions to return the item. My account was credited very quickly. I'd definitely purchase from them again and I felt their customer service was great. - Memory Cards - Xd Card - Olympus Picture Card - Olympus'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information