Monday 5 September 2011

Droid Screen Protector - black, faceplate


Well, this case is still better than the plastic one that I bought at the Verizon store. It stayed on very well. I dropped my phone a few times and it never popped off. The case is sturdy and it has lasted the whole time I have owned it. The only problem is... the black "rubber" irritated my hands! (almost like a powder of some sort that came off the case) I don't know if maybe I am allergic to it, but It was pretty bad. Painful even. I finally bought a plastic one (here off of amazon) with some flowers on it and I love it. There is no rubber or anything that comes off. Nothing irritates my hands anymore. Maybe it was just me. Otherwise the case was very sturdy and protected my phone great. Black Rubberized Snap On Faceplate for Motorola Droid A855

The case looks and feels great on the Droid. Unfortunately after installing it on my phone the feature which turns the screen off when you hold the phone next to your ear is disabled. I'm fairly certain it's because the extra thickness of the cover lifts your ear off of the phone, and it must need direct contact to turn off the screen. I like that feature because it saves my battery but I think I'll keep the case because it looks/feels good. This is a great deal on this case, too.

The product is cheap, and that is both the price and its quality. The front piece comes off easily and as another reviewer mentioned, this cover has an amazing ability to collect dust and lint. In addition, the rubberized surface seems to be just sprayed on, and comes off, especially around the edges. Beneath is what appears to be white plastic, so this wear becomes very apparent after a short period.



Part of the problem though, is with the Droid and not any particular cover. Motorola simply made a very difficult phone for which to design a protective cover for, as there is little if any space for the front plate's tabs to grip the sliding screen. If you can put up with the extra bulk, the Body Glove seems to have put out a slightly better protective cover. OEM Body Glove Hard Snap On Cover Shell Case for Motorola Droid A855

This Droid case is priced very well--it's basically the same item I saw at my Verizon store for $29.95 (which is outrageous for a couple of pieces of moulded plastic). The material is simple plastic with a slight rubbery texture--not enough to make it very difficult to go in and out of my pocket, but provides a little extra grip. It snaps right on.



BUT, the product is not worth buying at any price, for several reasons.



First, the case I received was NOT as shown, in one very important way: along the bottom of the front faceplate, all of the touchscreen controls are blocked. I'm sure that previous versions weren't like this, or all of the other reviewers would have complained--there are tiny cutouts for the controls that make it literally impossible to activate those functions, which I use constantly. It's not about fingertip size--you'd need a stylus to poke through the holes. So, I had to cut out the sections of plastic that surround these little holes to make the faceplate like the photo provided on this site. Since the plastic is pretty tough, it can't be done with a knife; I used a Dremel rotary tool. If you have one, and don't mind spending fifteen minutes with it, the end result will look like the photo, and is functional. If not, the product is virtually useless.



Second, after a few weeks of gentle use, one corner of the case first cracked, then tore off. I treat my phone like it's made of crystal--I'm very, very careful with it--so I have no idea how this happened, but this is obviously not a very protective case. Then, after another couple of weeks, another part of the case cracked. Then, the front plate popped off and just refused to re-attach. The product is now totally useless after a couple of months of careful use.

After reading countless reviews on a ton of cases, and searching through droidforums dot net and howardforums in order to find the case i want, this turned out to be a really good case. I was going to buy the seido case, but its 30 dollars, and i'm a cheap student that will not spend 30 dollars on a case. This turned out to be a really good alternative especially if you do not want to spend like 20+ on a case.

The only bad thing i found was that the top part of the case comes off every once in while when I knock on it, but this is a known problem for all cases, even the seido. As one of the guys said before me, motorola made this phone so that a solid case can not be designed.

All in all, this is a good case for like $3.50 that will last you a good 6 months to a year or so.

The cover for the back of the phone is actually ok. But the one that "clips" well try's too over the front of the phone sadly just does'nt do its job. With it cliped on the front i feel as if i have to hold my phone really really carefully so that it does'nt fall off. And still it will...



Dont buy it, not unless you just want a back cover. - Black - Droid - Faceplate - Rubberized'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


black Droid Screen Protector - black, faceplate