Monday 15 August 2011

Works As Advertised - pur, pur purifier


To quickly answer the question most people will want to know about, the flavoring option is a mixed bag. Personally, I think it tastes great but I am used to the flavor of "diet" tasting drinks so if you can stand drinks like Crystal Light, Fresca soda, or similar you will probably like this as well. This was a present for my mother, however, and she doesn't like the taste. Adding flavor is completely optional. It's simply a small plastic container that is attached to the front of the purifier and it squirts a small amount of sucralose flavoring into the water dispensed from the separate tap.



I'm also pleased to note that this matches a chrome faucet perfectly and I didn't need separate (included) adapters during installation. My only complaint is you never feel like it is installed securely enough. While only finger tightening was enough to use without leaks, it still moves around sideways a lot. I'm not sure if that was the intent, but I would have preferred something that locks solidly into place. Installation of the filter is idiot-proof as you are literally placing a square peg into a round hole. Screw the cap on the front into place, installing the flavor cartridge if you desire, and you're ready to go.



The filters are rated to purify 100 gallons before needing replacement. A small electronic light blinks green, yellow, or red when you switch to purified water as an indicator. Most importantly, the water tastes great and I find myself drinking a lot more of it in place of soda or other drinks. That certainly can't be a bad thing. Recommended.



Update (May, 2008): I feel I should update this review. While my purifier worked, I was disheartened to read so many reviews saying these were defective. After about six months of use I started to see symptoms of problems others were complaining about such as leakage from the mount and decreased water pressure (likely due to a loose seal). P&G, the makers of Pur, were nice enough to send me a coupon for a replacement faucet but unfortunately the replacement leaked everywhere. I now question the quality and reliability of these devices, but cannot change my original rating. While the idea is great, these do seem to be cheap junk and I would not recommend them now. I guess I was lucky the first time.

Recently the quality of the PUR Faucet Mount systems have gone into the toilet. I contacted PUR to let them know I was having problems with keeping their PUR filter from leaking. They sent me a coupon for a new one and I purchased this "state of the art" model thinking that if the previous models had kinks then surely they would have worked them out by now. Ummmm... no way. The silver colored plastic Faucet Mount Housing (the large silver part that holds the filter) came off within about a week of us installing it because the glue gave out. The front silver cover that houses the flavor cartridge kept falling off if it was slightly tapped. This thing leaked within a few months of getting it. Try as we may, tightening it did nothing. Then we tried to take it off to check the rubber seal. The mounting nut that attaches it to the faucet then locked up so we couldn't put it back on. Save your money. Replacing the unit every few months doesn't give you any real savings. I'm dissappointed again. I wish I could give it -3 stars because I would.

PUR Water Filter Review \ Hack



Once, long ago, PUR was a great company with great water filtering technology. I still love their filters! Unfortunately, a big bad company named Proctor and Gamble bought them and messed them over in favor of customer abuse. This was accomplished using two methods. The first method is called 'planned obsolescence' whereby their faucet mount apparatus leak and die briefly after the end of the warranty period. (It didn't used to be that way in the good old days). The second method is called 'timed death' whereby their apparatus lock up their enclosed filters at a preset volume of filtered water, whether the filter is actually used up or not.



Planned obsolescence can be overcome by calling up Proctor and Gamble BEFORE your warranty runs out, and letting them know that your PUR apparatus is squirting water all over your kitchen. Ask them to send you a replacement or a replacement certificate. If need be, call repeatedly asking to speak to the President of P&G, never taking 'no' for an answer. Then take your certificate and get another PUR apparatus. This will provide you with a lifetime for the apparatus more representative of the lifetime of original PUR apparatus. You've cheated no one. P&G's cheat on you has been overcome.



The timed death lockout of your filter is extremely easy to overcome. Pull out the filter from the apparatus. This resets the nasty timing device to zero again. Put your filter back in. TADA! You're done. Your filter will work as before. Note, however, that PUR filters do eventually get clogged with stuff. You'll know when to change it.



I hope that helps everyone restore goodness to the universe. I still love PUR filters better than any other brand and wouldn't be without them. It's P&G's customer abuse that's not worth liking. Shame on you P&G. - Pur Horizontal Faucet Mount - Faucet Water Filters - Pur - Pur Purifier'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information