Monday 15 August 2011

Volume Control - dual, volume control


I bought this in a bind at the airport so I overpaid a bit, but it was highly worth it. I used it with my wife to watch a movie we rented on the plane and the individual volume controls were awesome because the 2 different headsets we use greatly vary in the amount of volume they output.

The only knock I would have on this product is the price, but I see today that Amazon has "See price in cart" Price of $15 for it which makes it much more easy to swallow.



Also, as with many Monster products, the cabling is made out of durable material. Monster iSplitter 1000 Y-Splitter with Volume Control/Mute for iPod and iPhone

I purchased this splitter at PDX ($20). I've been looking for awhile for something that offered volume control... and was originally going to settle for a pair of earbuds that did, and then set the volume on my computer/mp3 player high enough for the weaker pair. The sales guy warned me away from the cheaper splitter, claiming there'd be a lot of hiss. The volume control "slide" controls are effective and easy to use. The build quality appears to be very good/rugged. The splitter and spare Skull Candy Ink'd earbud fit in a repurposed Altoids can. Bottom line:

- Passes through audio signal very well

- Efficient enough to drive two earphones (one good, one crappy) with my computer set at 50% volume (saves battery)

- Ability for *each* individual to set the volume to *their own* preference themself

For what it does, this device performs okay. Volume control is not very good. Goes from mute to very loud. Anything in between is less than stellar, as one of the headphone speakers mutes if you adjust to mid range.

I bought this from Amazon a few days before my wife and I had to go on a cross-country flight. I wanted something that would allow us both to watch DVDs on the same computer. Overall, the iSplitter is pretty good and it does what it's supposed to. It feels very robust and well constructed. The sound quality is fine. The only complaint I have is that the the volume controls (one of the reasons I purchased this device over other splitters) can be charitably described as coarse. There is a tiny spatial difference between mute and full volume on these controllers, so even coarse volume adjustments require minute movements of the controllers. In reality, you can maybe get four or five meaningfully distinct volume settings out of this controller (0 and 100% being two of them). So, if you want a sound splitter that has SOME control over volume on each side and that feels as if it is fairly well made, buy this.

I got this splitter at an airport store before an international flight so I could watch movies on my iPhone with my wife. The first time we plugged it in we could hear nothing, even though the volume switch was set to the highest. It turns our that I have to twist and turn each headphone cable while plugged into the splitter to get any sound out of it. It does work once you turn your cable a certain way, but I will be returning this to the store once I get back from my trip.

Solid construction and the volume controls are very good too. Much better than similar no-name products that already get defective after 5 times plug / unplug. This one is build to last and i'm very happy with it. We use it with the bedroom TV-set so we can watch TV with headphones (earbuds) on.

I have used a number of earphone splitters in the past but usually find them below expectations. The problems of connection and interference are common.



But using this Monsters Splitter, I don't get any issues and audio remain loud and clear. The volume control is pretty cool too.

I'll start by saying that I later purchased a different, but equivalent version of this product from Monster and it was everything I expected (Monster 123872-00 iSplitter Shared Headphone Adapter).



This particular model is VERY touchy with the volume control. When one person adjusted their volume down the volume went up for the other person (and vice versa). Also, less than a couple months in the silver piece around the plug came loose and now slides up and down the small cord section.



It's counter-intuitive but the Monster 123872-00 iSplitter Shared Headphone Adapter is MUCH higher quality and cheaper as well. - Dual - Headphone Accessories - Audio - Volume Control'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information