Monday 15 August 2011

Heart Rate Monitor - exercise, omron


Being a person who hasn't ever joined a gym, I never knew stuff like this existed. I was very interested in this item because I've been walking for exercise but wasn't really sure I was reaching my target heart rate consistently.



The monitor, which displays the time as well as your heart rate on a watch, works in conjuction with a gizmo that you strap around yourself, just under your chest. (I will tell you, since I was concerned about this, that it's hardly noticeable once it's in place...it's a 12" or so long piece of plastic with an adjustable elastic strap...not very bulky at all!) The monitor also features a stopwatch and an alarm, so that after you set your minimum & maximum desired heart rates, you can be alerted when you are out of range. The alarm is a "beep-beep" that I can hear over the book on tape I drag along with me. Your heart rate is updated every second or two so you will always know if you need to pick up the pace a bit.



Although I have not yet had to do so, the chest strap has a removable backing, and you apparently can change the battery yourself (this is a big deal, I guess, since some of the more expensive monitors require that you send them to the factory for a battery change). The elastic strap is also completely removable, which makes it very easy to wash (and you will need to if you're exercising!).



The monitor comes packaged in a small, zippered carrying case, and includes an attachment that allows you to place it on a bicycle handlebar.



This does everything I need it to, and I recommend it for anyone who is just getting started in an exercise program. Omron HR-100C Heart Rate Monitor

Good:

- Works as advertised

- Easy to setup

- Rugged and well constructed



Bad:

- Wrist watch does not start receiving heart rate unless you are sweating at lot/apply a lot of water on the strap and your chest

- In a gym setting, there seems to be interference from electrical equipment (treadmills, etc) and the monitor works intermittently

- If there are other users w/ heart-rate monitors in the vicinity, their readings and my readings overlap causing some amount of confusion

This was my first heart rate monitor & I am very pleased with it. Did not require a lot of instruction. The chest strap is comfortable. Occasionally the monitor does not immediately pick up an accurate rate when first put on - but after a few seconds you are ready to go. I will be ordering another for my mother. Excellent product for the price.

This is the perfect HRM for anyone just trying to monitor their heart rate. Directions for set up are very easy. The price for this HRM is pretty cheap compared to others. Comes in a great storage zipper bag. If you need something with more features like calorie counting, average heart rate, etc. then you need to looke elsewhere. Now that I can keep track of my target zone for weight loss I have lost 10 pounds in one month. Seems like I was not working hard enough. The alarms are really great and let you know if you are not working out hard enough or workin out too hard. I have purchased two already for myself and girlfriend and both work properly and they do not seem to obstruct with each other. Great buy for beginner or advanced.

I use this while swimming. When swimming the chest strap has to be tightened a little extra, but it works. I also use it for circuit training because first I use the eliptical, then the weight machines. I do not rest between machines to keep heart rate in the proper zone during the entire workout, perfect.

I bought this monitor at a great price and it's worth it. I'm sure there are other monitors out there that are better, but this one still gives you a good indication of your training level. The strap is comfortable and snug. Just like any monitor you have to slightly wet the conductors to get an accurate reading. I did get some fluctuations at certain points but I just had to adjust the strap. The mounting bracket is great and easy to snap on and off. Good for bike riders like me.

I'll try to make this brief. First, I can tell you that I have lost about 26 pounds without the use of a personal heart rate monitor like this one. However, as far as exercise is concerned, I got this far ONLY riding a stationary bike, which came with an HRM on it. I have really gotten into exercising after being overweight for a long time and after having to endure achilles tendonitis in the last half of 2006. So, doing low impact exercise was really all I could do up until recently. Well, I'm in the next phase of my "life change" and it will involve not just being tethered to a bike, but running and lifting. So, I needed to get a portable unit to wear.



Well, if you are considering exercising or have already begun, this unit is a great "starter" model. It will provide you with all the feedback you need to get started such as max/min heart rate setting with alarm, stopwatch, and of course the heart rate itself. The chest unit fits fine and you really don't notice it all that much. I am a big guy with a rather large chest and it is plenty big even for me.



I STRONGLY suggest you research heart rates as it pertains to exercise. It will absolutely convince you that you need a heart rate monitor. Feedback is critical to getting the most out of your workout. If you do not know what your heart rate is, you can not stay in the "zone" that you need for the conditioning you are looking to achieve(fat burning, endurance, etc.).



The only complaint I have is that the unit came with a dead battery....grrrr! Oh well at least you can change it yourself on this unit...went to the store, got a new one and was good-to-go.

Great product for the $ I spent. I picked it b/c I can replace the batteries myself and the cost was in my budget. It does jump around more than I'd like, but I can tell from the range that I am over or under my target heart rate. It does beep to let you know that, but I find it annoying so I turn it off. If you find you have trouble getting it to register your rate, then move it around a bit. Mine works best when I put it higher on my chest, in the area of my heart, just below my shoulder blade. - Heart Rate - Fitness - Omron - Exercise'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Heart Rate Monitor - exercise, omron omron Heart Rate Monitor - exercise, omron