Sunday 7 August 2011

Reels


I typically fish for steelhead 45-60 days a year. If there is a salmon season I will fish another 15-20. An average size steelhead this far from the ocean (I live in NE Oregon) is around 6 pounds. Salmon run 15 pounds or better. I have fished my Abu Garcia automag 2-Speed for 18 years and have really enjoyed it. So when it gave up the gears this last fall I had to buy a replacement. I wanted a baitcast reel with a thumb bar for quick, one handed casts, a larger line capacity, and something that would be durable as well. I got a 6501 for Christmas, to fish the Chinook run and fell in love with it, but I wanted a smaller reel for steelhead and bass fishing, so I bought the 6501's little brother. It casts like a dream, even with less weight, it has a smooth drag and plays big fish nicely. I landed 6 steelhead on it my first day out, from 6 to 11 pounds, in moderate flows (around 550 CFS), and it performed flawlessly. The next week the river was coming down off a blow out and had settled around 700 CFS. The lower gear ratio was perfect for cranking in hard fighting fish in the heavier spring flows. It was a lot of fun to fish and I'm looking forward to using it for bass as well. Abu Garcia 4601C3 Ambassadeur C3 Baitcast Round Reel (3 Ball-Bearing, Gear Ratio 5.3:1, Capacity 10/170, Left-Handed)

I am new to baitcasting reels and I am glad that I chose this reel. It's easy to use and it's rather fun casting it. I practiced/played with this reel in front of my house for days. Next I need to learn how to use lures.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Reels Reels Reels