Sunday 7 August 2011

External Hard Drive - storage cases, case


I picked this up with a Freeagent GO drive when Amazon recently had both on sale. I have 3 Freeagent GO drives, and 3 different cases!



The first case is the one included with the dock - Nice and simple, but not very much protection. Very thin, but doesn't hold any cables. Should be included with the drive, not the dock.



The second case is the Caselogic THS-101 Portable Hard Drive Case (Black Houndstooth) - a very nice case (stylish, protection, extra space to hold cables, and feels nice).



Finally, I purchased this case - the VHS-101.



The VHS-101 is very similar to the THS-101, except it has a plain black design (opposed to black-on-black houndstooth). The feel is quite "rough" compared to the soft feel of the THS. Aside from that, they seem to be the same in terms of protection/size. The included pocket is nice, without adding too much extra bulk. Someone mentioned in another review that this space is big enough to hold a 2nd Freeagent drive, and I considered that a selling point (being able to carry 2 drives in 1 case -- awesome!). Unfortunately, it's such a tight fit that I wouldn't trust it - it also doesn't protect the whole drive (the top is exposed about 1").



The VHS has a blue colored inside (the THS has a tan color). I actually found the blue to be very ugly - I don't understand why they didn't just use black? I do like that the VHS uses a metal zipper with a hole on the end (the hole is good if you need to "lock" the case closed with a lock). The THS has a fabric zipper without a hole.



Overall, the case is good in terms of protection/size. It's not stylish like the THS, but it's not super ugly (well, the outside at least!). I don't care for the feel of the case very much, but again it could be work. If you're looking for a portable hard drive case (portable meaning 2.5" USB drive), this is about the best case out there (and believe me, I've looked). With that said, the very similar (but much nicer) THS-101 case gets the top choice. Spend a couple bucks more, you'll probably be happy you did! Case Logic VHS-101 Portable Hard Drive Case (Black)

Read the measurements for this carefully - because I didn't! This was suggested as "what people frequently buy" with the Seagate Expansion 750 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive ST907504EXA101 I just bought. You can even one-click to buy them together. Only this case is too small for that hard drive.



So if other people have "frequently" bough this case with that particular drive, they all must have been as annoyed as me to have to drive to the post office to return this $7 item.



For those of you for whom this case will fit your drive....it is a pretty flimsy case. It will protect the drive from scratches to the externer surface, but offers no padding whatsoever.

This case is absolutely terrific. I bought this because I wanted something to provide my storage unit. When I got it I was pleasantly surprised to find that it can accommodate not one, but two hard drives. This suits me just fine. I recently bought a Seagate 640GB and a Toshiba 500GB. The interior of the case is blue so it matches with the Toshiba, the Seagate I place it on the outside. So it is quite appropriate.



Thanks Caselogic.

This case is well constructed and looks slick. The pocket for the cable is a nice touch. However, be aware that it runs a little shorter than most other portable hard drive cases. The description says it fits a drive up to 5.2" long, which seems pretty accurate. My Seagate Expansion is 5.56", and I have to really squeeze it in to get it to fit. I have a lot of extra room on the sides, but none at all on top or bottom. Check your hard drive measurements to make sure this case will fit comfortably.



Two piddling complaints:

I don't personally like the yellow Case Logic tag when contrasted with the black case.

It would be great if there were two zippers instead of one.

I had been using a Western Digital My Passport Essential 500 GB External Hard Drive for about 2 years now without any cover or case. I am a student and am on the go a lot between classes, apartment, library, and coffee shops. I usually kept it in backpack during transport, and even with all the travel, I never had any problems with it.

For Christmas this year, I decided to buy a portable external hard drive as a gift for someone and figured it would be nice to get a case to go along with it (plus it was pretty cheap at 8 bucks). The inside of the Case Logic VHS-101 is a teal, greenish color, and the outside is a black color. I tried fitting a couple portable USB drives: Western Digital My Passport Essential 500 GB and Western Digital Elements 500GB; both fit just fine with a little bit of wiggle room. The outside has a little pocket to hold the USB cable. It feels very secure, I wouldn't worry about anything damaging it inside my backpack.

After getting this as a gift for someone else, I went ahead and ordered one for myself too. My USB has pretty much my whole life inside. I still don't think that it is essential, but it's nice to have some peace of mind having your USB drive protected.

The Case Logic VHS-101 portable hard drive case is very well designed, protects very well its content however, I had to return it. For some reason, when I bought my Seagate Expansion 705GB hard drive, this case was advertised as a good fit for the hard drive. It turned out to be way too small that the hard drive never fit. It might work for Seagate Expansion models of smaller capacity though. - Carrying Case - Hard Drive Case - Case - Storage Cases'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


External Hard Drive - storage cases, case hard drive case External Hard Drive - storage cases, case