Sunday 21 August 2011

Printer Cartridge - monochrome, cartridge


Final update: April 23rd. Starter cartridge finally says it's run completely out (though it still seems to print). That's a total of about 200 pages since I first got a message. The 3-times-Go printout shows a total of 730 pages - roughly what the starter cartridge is supposed to have, and I've now installed the hi-capacity cartridge



----- first update

Update. It's now April 11th. I've printed at least another 100 pages and things are still going well. But I've discovered another feature. In addition to the 7-times-Go (described below), there's a 3-times-Go that will print a three page report showing everything you ever wanted to know about your printer, including the amount of toner actually left.



----- original post

Like others I started getting a 'toner-low' message after maybe 450 or so pages. In looking for a way to trick the printer, I read the manual(!). It said to press the Go button seven times in a row to clear the toner-low lockout, and that once that was cleared the cartridge would continue to print until the toner was actually gone.



Worked like a charm. I'll update this when the thing actually runs completely out.



Understanding this, the way they do it makes sense: really early warning that you should order another cartridge - and a lockout that you can't ignore, keeping you from having a really bad day in the future. Brother Black High Yield Toner Cartridge (TN450)

I converted to a Brother monochrome laser printer a few months ago after years of frustration with another brand's all-in-one printer that consumed huge amounts of color ink even though I printed everything in black and white. The toner cartridge that came with the Brother laser unit ran out quickly, as I was warned, and it took a while to figure out how to replace the cartridge the first time around but now it's easy. I've got the printer set for 300 dpi (and for text instead of graphics) to maximize my yield. Like others, I started to get a "low toner" warning around 1500 copies and if it weren't for seeing other Amazon reviews for other Brother cartridges, I might have changed the cartridge shortly after getting the first warning. Having read the other reviews, however, I removed the existing cartridge, shook it a bit to assure the remaining toner was well distributed, ran the "carona wire" back and forth a couple of times and returned the printer to regular use. So far, I've printed over 1200 additional pages since the first warning and everything is still printing fine, with no lines or other problems that come when the toner actually is low. I'm watching to see how much longer the old cartridge will work, but wow, the other reviewers definitely helped by warning of this problem. It's something Brother ought to correct. By the way, I didn't put tape over the holes as others have suggested since I don't want any complications from that, although may do so the next time around. As an additional note, unless Amazon has fixed the problem, ignore some of their drop down menus when selecting the right cartridge for the right Brother unit. They say the TN 450 isn't correct for a Brother HL2270DW when in fact it is.

i like everything about this toner....except that crazy practice brother has of telling the user the toner is empty when it is very far from it. this is a well known issue and used to have easy workarounds such as taping up the sensor, etc. but it now seems brother has ended that party.



good printer...good toner....i just wish they'd let me decide when i was out of toner instead of having to press go buttons 7 times or other ridiculous tricks i need to spend time researching on the net.

The high yield toner cartridge is a real deal for the price. I did lot of comparison shopping before I ordered. The installation was easy and gives good copies. Product was delivered as promised. If I remember, it even arrived a day or two early! Great job...

So far, so good. Received genuine Brother High Yield cartridge in good shape. Fits & works so far.



Replaced intro cartridge that came with Brother HL-2270DW laser printer. Even tho I generally use (default) TONER SAVER mode, the intro cartidge did not seem to last very long. I use this printer at home for B&W, supplimenting a color inkjet. Not an office. Really don't print that much IMHO. (Wish there was a way to track actual pages printed like my HP inkjet does.) Installed printer late December 2010, needed to replace intro cartridge by March 2010! Tried shaking "trick" several times to no avail. Certainly hope this HIGH YIELD lasts alot longer!



Might have given 5 stars for performance so far, but the jury is still out on the final longevity verdict.

Doesn't last as long as promised, even when used in the "toner save" mode. Be sure to select 300 dpi instead of the default 600 dpi, if you are trying to make the ink last longer. My first cartridge lasted about 2 months. - Printer Cartridge - Monochrome - Cartridge - Brother'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information