Sunday 21 August 2011

Inversion - inversion equipment, back pain


I just recently purchased the Ironman Inversion System - nice, very nice!



This review is in five parts:

1. About the inversion system

2. Assembling the Ironman Inversion System

3. Assembly Steps that deserve comment

4. Broken or missing parts

5. Health Warnings (added because I didn't see this anywhere until I read the manual).



About the inversion system



This is not my first inversion system; I have a Stamina Inversion Therapy Table where we spend our summers. I purchased that unit from Amazon in May 2007. If that model had been available, I would have just reordered it. Since that unit is no longer available, I had to search out a new inversion system.



The Ironman is better than the Stamina in several ways. Number one is the capability of locking the bed at desired angles.



1.) I like this when I'm in the inverted position because you can move your arms without the inversion system moving safely but annoyingly at the pivot. Also, because of my back problems at times when my back was really hurting I would lay on the floor with a pillow under my head. I thought I would try the Ironman locked in the horizontal position and by golly it works! I put my feet into the heel locks just as a safety precaution. Then I rotated the bed to the horizontal position and locked it. It is more comfortable than the floor but stiff enough that it works. I have also tilted it just beyond horizontal when my back is hurting. It feels good but I still have not decided how long to stay in that position.



2.) The foot holder is a lot more comfortable than my Stamina. It is mounted so that the orientation and position of what they call the "Heel Holder" is just right.



There are some minuses.



I like the head rest but this one is not adjustable. Ironman should fix this. I removed one bolt and rotated the headrest to an ideal position for me.



The Ironman folds up but it is big and heavy. If you have to put it away this inversion system probably isn't the unit for you.





Assembling the Ironman Inversion System



The Ironman Inversion System comes in a big box and it is heavy. The UPS guy brought it into my home and put it in the room where I wanted to set the unit up. I am an engineer and when I opened the box it scared me and I am fearless. I got my electronic camera and took several pictures of the opened box and even marked all the Styrofoam blocks in case I had a problem with the unit. As it worked out, I didn't have anything to fear. Every piece was wrapped. The screw, bolts, nuts and washers came mounted on one piece of cardboard held in place by shrink wrap plastic. Where possible they made sets by putting the nut and the washers on the bolts. Also on that board were the tools you need to put the unit together.



The part I was most concerned with - mounting the bed to the frame - turned out to be quite easy because it was designed for assembly by one person.



Regarding assembly; allow two hours. You have to take all of the parts out of the box before you find the manual at the bottom of box. When I looked at the manual I was comfortable everything would go together. The front and rear leg assemblies including the pivots were already together. I had to add the bed headrest, the boom that mounts the heel holders; these kinds of parts. Assembly is not a cake walk but if you follow the directions and are comfortable with a wrench in your hand, you should be able to assemble this unit.



Lay out the bolts in an area convenient to where you will be assembling the unit. Organize the bolts in the same relationship as the picture on Page 6 of the Manual. Do not disassemble the nut and the washer. They will be the right parts in the right quantity for each assembly position.



You can assemble the unit using just their tools. Although these are metric size nuts and bolts, the following are my tools that I used for assembly:

A 1/2 in. and 5/8 in. open end wrench

A Phillips screwdriver with a #1 and a #3 bit

A 10mm socket (3/8 in will work)



Assembly Steps that deserve comment



Step 1, Putting on the four feet - The directions do not refer to the F and the B decals on the feet. Put the F feet on the front and the B feet on the back.



Step 3, Place the bed into the frame - just as the picture shows. Insert the two #43 bolts with one washer on each side as shown in the instructions. Tighten lock nuts finger tight (they will just start). You will have to wiggle the bed to get the holes to line up. Don't worry; they have plenty of play. Then insert the two #44 bolts with a washer on each side as per the directions and put the nylon nut on finger tight. This way you will have everything loosely assembled before you tighten anything down. Tighten the #44 nuts and bolts a little at a time alternating between the left and right bolt. Then tighten the #43 bolts in the same way.



Step 7, the instructions have an error. The washer is shown on the nylon nut side but it should be on the bolt head side. The nylon nut side has a very nice hex retainer for the nut built in. Position the lock nut in the retainer then tighten the bolt.



Step 8, Screw #80 - fasten snug and back off about ¼ turn.



Broken or missing parts



One little plastic part was chipped. No big deal; everything would work but thought I should get a replacement. How easy this was! I called the phone number shown on the manual; pushed the button for service and my call was taken by a human being. He started to ask for the order number but when he knew it was ordered from Amazon he asked for my zip code and was able to pull up my record. He told me I would receive the replacement part by mail. Note: if I have a problem I will amend this report.



Health Warnings from Manual



Do not use this equipment without your physician's approval.

Do not use this equipment if you have any of the following

conditions or ailments:

Extreme obesity

Glaucoma, retinal detachment or

conjunctivitis

Pregnancy

Spinal injury, Cerebral Sclerosis, or acutely swollen joints

Middle ear infection

High blood pressure, Hypertension, Recent stroke or

Transient ischemic attack

Heart or circulatory disorders for which you are being treated

Hiatus hernia or Ventral hernia

Bone weaknesses including Osteoporosis, Unhealed fractures, Modularly

Pins or Surgically implanted orthopedic supports

Use of anti-coagulants including Aspirin in high doses. Ironman ATIS 1000 AB Training System Inversion Therapy Table - Ironman - Back Pain Relief - Inversion Equipment - Back Pain'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information