Wednesday 13 July 2011

Shutter Release - remote control, photography


I bought this for my Canon T1i and it works wonderfully. As with the normal shutter, if I hold the button half-way down, the camera only focuses. Pressing the button completely takes the picture and holding the button down takes multiple pictures (if my camera is set for continuous).



It does everything I need, is easy to carry and use and is not expensive. A great product. Remote Shutter Release for Canon Rebel XT, XTi, XSi, XS, T1i, EOS 1000D/450D/400D/350D/300D, Pentax Super/K100D/K110D/ *ist Ds2 / *ist D / *ist Ds / *ist / *ist DL, Samsung GX-20/GX-10/GX-1L GX-1S, + Many More!

This shutter release does exactly what it is intended for. I am using it with a Canon XSi, and there are no problems of any kind. The cord is about 4ft, which is plenty long for pretty much any situation I would be in. Feels solidly constructed, and looks clean too!

I use this with my Rebel xsi to take pictures of documents at close range. Much easier to use for that purpose than a wireless remote, which must be in front of the camera to work. This works from any angle, exactly as promised. Yay! The remote is useful for self-portraits, I imagine, but probably little else.

This remote switch is a bit tricky at first. When I first used it most of the time I it would snap a shot immediately after focusing with a half press, rather than just auto-focus as it should. After playing around for a while I realized if you press the very bottom of the button you get a much better half-press auto-focus than pressing the button in the middle as you are used to. The cable itself is much thicker than the Canon brand, not a problem though. I bought this for my Canon EOS Rebel XT.

I bought this to help me take time exposures in low light using my Canon T1i. Before I bought this, when I used a long lens (I have a 400mm) on my tripod, I was forced to activate mirror lock-up and set the camera to wait for 20 seconds before taking the picture to allow time for the camera lens to completely settle down. Even then I was not always happy with the result. With this remote release everything has changed.



My normal photos (no mirror lock-up, no wait time) are almost as good as those I took before using lock-up and wait and the results using lock-up and a 2 second wait are as good as the 20 second waits I used before. This is great. Simple to use, has a lock for continuous pictures (although you can also hold down the button) and holding the remote button half-way down allows you to properly focus the picture before taking it exactly as using the normal shutter button.



The only question I have is whether or not it uses a battery. There is no easily opened battery compartment and, if it does use one, I assume you have to open it up using the plastic screws to change it. But regardless, this is a great help and I am very happy I bought it.

Why spend $150 for a fancy, programmable cable release when this one will do all that is necessary for pennies? I use my release mainly for time exposure and astronomy pictures. I am totally satisfied with it.

I purchased this item after reading a few reviews. The product does the job! I have not had a any problems while using it with my Canon XSi. The cord could be longer, but still that means no default at all. This was a great purchase, my pictures have turned out well.

Don't let the low price fool you into thinking that this remote isn't worth considering. I purchased this to use with my Canon T1i and really enjoy it. I was half expecting something poorly constructed but this remote is rather sturdy and mechanically sound. No bells and whistles, just a straight forward accessory that works well.



My bottom line up front is that for under $5 this remote is more than worth its price; I would even pay up to $15. Sure, that's still cheap, but I don't see the point in buying a brand name remote when this one works so well. The rest of my review below is geared towards very new DSLR users such as myself (specifically with the Canon models this remote control is made for), so you more experienced folks probably won't have any need to read further.



You won't get instructions with this thing other than a diagram of the remote showing how you press the button to snap your shot and how to slide the remote into locked position. A brand new amateur might be curious as to how to connect this remote to his/her camera, as well as how to use it, prior to buying it. If you're like me, you might spend 10 seconds with the camera's owner's manual. I like to provide quick "how to" info in my reviews to potential buyers to give them a better idea of the product (and no, I don't work for amazon or any seller).



Connecting the remote control to your Canon T1i:



- lift the rubber terminal cover on the left side of your camera body (as you're looking at the LCD screen)

- slide the remote control male connector into the remote control terminal female connector





Using the remote control:



- turn your camera on (obviously)

- press the remote control button halfway down to allow your camera to autofocus (it's actually easier just to press the lower half of the button down to auto focus, preventing too much pressure which might cause you to take the shot)

- press the remote control button down completely to take the shot (or if your camera is set to continuous shots your camera will continue shooting until you let go of the button)

- press the control button down and slide forward to lock into place if doing long, manually-timed shots (or you can continue holding the button down...it's a matter of preference [or thumb stamina])



I do want to note that as far as going into camera settings via the LCD, I had no need to do that to use this remote control. I simply plugged it in and began using it. There might be settings in the menu that you might have to manipulate if you're attempting to use "advanced" features of your camera with a remote control. I'm not familiar with those if there are...not yet, anyway. - Camera Accessories - Canon - Remote Control - Photography'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Shutter Release - remote control, photography canon Shutter Release - remote control, photography