Wednesday 13 July 2011

Camera Sling Bag - photography, camera bag


In my search for a camera bag that did NOT look like a camera bag, I discovered the Lowepro Passport Sling...and I LOVE it! I could not find any reviews on this product so hopefully this review will help someone else who is searching for that perfect camera bag...that doesn't LOOK like a camera bag. The Passport Sling is not too big yet large enough to hold my gear. Unloaded, the bag is also very lightweight. It features a removable camera box which attaches to the bag with Velcro, 2 small interior flap pockets (for phone, iPod, credit cards, gum, etc.), 2 exterior pockets, 1 exterior water bottle pocket (which I have yet to use for a water bottle), adjustable shoulder strap, and expandability.



I wish the external pockets were a little deeper/wider and designed in the shape of a rectangle instead of a trapezoid so items could fit better. Although a travel book and map would fit inside the bag, it would be nice to have quick and easy access on the outside of the bag. I would feel more secure if the external pockets had either a zip or Velcro closure so I don't feel like items might fall out.



The camera box has 1 adjustable Velcro divider which I configured with my Nikon D90 and 18mm-200mm lens attached on the left side and both the 35mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.8 (filter attached) side by side in the other half of the camera box. (I'm not going to lie, it's a little snug fitting them side by side but I like knowing that I have both with me.) There's still some space on top of the prime lenses for a spare camera battery, 4 AA batteries (for my SB-600), and some other small accessories (spare SD card, card reader, camera remote). The flap of the divider folds over nicely to cover the lenses/accessories and provides a cushion to protect the lenses and camera grip. I keep the SB-600 next to the camera box in its padded case to stay protected since the bag itself does NOT have any padding. There is also a small pocket on the soft box to hold a spare SD card. I wish they had other pockets on the side of the camera box to hold some other small accessories for quick access (cleaning cloth, rear lens cover, lens cap, pen loops, etc.). Even with all this camera gear in the bag, there is still some room inside for other things and I haven't even expanded the bag!! I usually keep the bag UN-expanded but I like knowing that I have the option to increase my space if I need it, especially when sightseeing. I do have a tendency to do a bit of shopping while traveling!!



It's great that the camera box is removable so the bag can then be used as a regular bag to hold anything you want to put in it. I wish there were some internal zippered pockets, especially if I ever use the bag WITHOUT the camera box so there is more organization. The current design does not really have a place for any other internal pockets (aside from the flap pockets already included) so I do understand why there aren't any in there. I LOVE the look of the bag so much that I could easily see myself using with without the camera box...as if I EVER leave the house without my camera!!!



I chose the Mica color because I wanted something neutral and I have enough black bags. The Mica is like a dark khaki/olive, both male or female could feel comfortable carrying this color.



Although the bag was designed to be worn across the body, it can also just be worn as a shoulder bag. Personally, I like the security of wearing it crossbody because the bag will not fall off my shoulder. The strap length is more than adequate for me (I'm 5"4' and 115-120 lbs.) and is adjustable. I imagine this bag would be fit someone much taller or much smaller than me.



The bag was announced in early 2009 and I am surprised that I have not seen more of these in stores or available online. It is such a great bag!! When I purchased mine earlier this year, I had to special order it and it took a couple weeks to arrive. Maybe I should shut my mouth so I am the only person out there carrying the Passport Sling! Lowepro Passport Sling Camera Bag (Black)

I purchased the Lowepro Passport Sling for my recent trip to Italy. I wanted an easy access, stylish camera bag to use while I travelled. I carried a Canon 7D with it's 18-135mm lens, my 70-200mm, 2.8L lens, a few memory cards and filters. The bag functioned very well and was comfortable to use, easy to access. The padded area for my camera and it's primary lens was barely big enough. A Rebel would have fit very comfortably, but my camera was very tight. I would have liked to have had my battery grip on too, but there was no way it would have fit. I had plenty of room for my 70-200mm, 2.8L, but the area in the bag that it fit had no extra padding, so I had to add my own with a crunched up t-shirt.



The improvements that I would recommend would be as follows: make the bag slightly larger to accommodate a full size camera more comfortably; add some extra padding in a secondary compartment to protect a second lens and/or flash unit; and lastly, add zippers to the external pockets of the bag to hold a passport, money, filters, etc. more securely. - Camera Case - Camera Bag - Photography - Digital Slr'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information