Friday 8 July 2011

Presentation - laser pointer, powerpoint


There is much to really like about the presenter. The distance from which it works, feels good in hand, extra battery holder...but one major negative is on a mac I can't start a ppt. show using the start show button. The button will end the show but not start it. So if you do a practice run through your slides and get to the end of the show, you need to walk back to the computer to start the show. No big deal if computer is close by but a hassle if it is on the other side of the auditorium. I have tried it on OS X 10.6 and an old powerbook running 10.4. Same result. The button works fine on windows PCs. Other than this it works great. If anyone knows a fix to this problem...please post a comment.



****Update**** User error on my part.

If you open the back cover just above the battery there is a little sliding switch. It is very small so can be overlooked.



It let's you choose from 3 options:

1) PC

2) Mac KN - this is Keynote

3) Mac PPT



once I switched it to mac, it works flawlessly. I updated my review to 5. Targus 2.4 GHz Wireless Laser Presentation Remote with KeyLock, Range up to 50 Feet AMP13US (Black with Gray)

I work in a large university and often teach in a large classroom with 150+ students. I like to walk around as I speak to engage the students, and I'm often 50+ feet away from my netbook. This remote works very well with a quick response time. The small size is easy to hold and it fits into my netbook case. The receiver stores inside the battery compartment and is very small, extending about an inch from the USB port. It also has a lighted dial which is useful in a dark room, though I haven't had a need for it, but it does look nice. I would highly recommend this unit.

This product does not provide cursor control while in presentation mode. So you cannot move the cursor someplace on the slide during a presentation. While there may not be too much use for that - if you are used to this capability from the older TARGUS AMP01 product you may be disappointed at the loss of this functionality. Of course, in presentation mode you can use the laser to highlight.



There is a slide switch to go between mouse mode and presentation mode - but it is difficult to operate with one hand. Again, the mode button on the older AMP01 is much easier to use. So with this product switching to mouse mode to bring up the Powerpoint menu is cumbersome at best. I use a SMART Notebook overlay software which also benefits from mouse control during the presentation. So if you need to switch back and forth between presentation mode and cursor/mouse control often this may not be for you.



The laser is good. The storage of the receiver and a spare battery in the bottom is useful but I am not sure that it will last very long as the bottom has to be opened twice for each presentation.



The button used for moving the cursor and lighting the laser feels cheap compared to the solid trackball of the AMP01 and the solid, separate button for the laser on the AMP01.



It is small and that might be a positive for some - but I find myself thinking about it slipping out of my larger hand. Again - the AMP01 has a optional strap that you can put around your wrist to avoid that issue.



I suggest that if you are considering this product that you also look at the TARGUS AMP02. The AMP01 is apparently no longer made - although you can find something very similar looking here at Amazon by searching for trackball presenter. The AMP02 appears to be a somewhat cheaper version of the AMP01 (alas with no trackball) and some may find that a better choice than this.

I was skeptical about this remote control. Would it work on my Mac Powerbook? It has a small switch inside that you set for Keynote (Mac) or Powerpoint (Mac & PC). It also has a tiny USB receiver that plugs into the computer to "connect" the two. When I plugged it in, my Powerbook said that it does not recognize the keyboard. After diddling with it for a while, I learned to start the Keynote program, hit Play, and then plug it in. It then works flawlessly. The built-in laser pointer is not very bright, so it is not very useful, less so than my other laser pointers. I really wanted a remote that let me move around and control the progression of "slides", so it works well for its intended purpose. Turning it on is a bit erratic. You push a button to turn it on and hold the button down to turn it off. Sometimes it does not turn on with a single push and I find that I must hold it down to get it to turn on. So far, this is a minor issue.

I am a teacher and have to give a lot of lectures. its a stylish presenter and the batterylife is good. the only downside is that the usb reciever is too small that i fear it will get lost someday, and its too impractical to open up the battery compartment to keep it there each time. - Laser Pointer - Presentation Remotes - Mac - Powerpoint'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information